BJJ brown belt in 1 year

nas89

White Belt
Reaction score
is it possible to get a brown belt in one year because i was thinkin of going to brazil for a year and train 6 days a week 4 hours a day i got family there so i will be welcolmed. since it takes 2-3 lessons a week for 8 years to get a black belt i worked it out to about 4 hours a day 6 a days a week for a year to get close to black belt experience tell me what u guys think including info about what place is the best to train 4 hours a day in brazil. it work out to be something likle 1100 hours of BJJ in a year excluding competion

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably not unless you are anything other than an absolute prodigy.
icon14.gif

Truthfully back in the day you could train that much and make blue belt in 2 years. Now a day's though with mail order bjj starting and weekend workshops so you can teach bjj in a school anything is possible.
icon9.gif

Still if you go to Brazil and train like that you should get good! Do not worry about the belt.
icon6.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Highly doubtful but nobody really knows go and give it a shot and let us know if it is or not.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
In all honesty you'd probably burn out before you reach any level of technical proficiency.
6 days a week, every week, for 4 hours, is alot of training.
Too much.
It would take extreme dedication to train for 5 days a week for 2 hours a day.
Either way, I don't see what the rush is to get a belt. In order to get good you have to stay true to the process and enjoy it.
BJJ is an art that takes time to learn, and can be an extremely good time.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would be very unlikely. A blue belt, probably. A purple belt, maybe...but probably not.

joemoplata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not going to happen. If you train that way and remain injury free, you will probably be a fantastic blue belt. Maybe purple if you are really proficient.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ditto what the others say. Blue is a more realistic goal. The amount of training you are talking about would be very hard to maintain. Train and have fun! Don't worry so much about rank.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Typically, BJJ ranks go white, blue, purple, brown, and black. Because the progression between ranks is so slow (white to blue is typically 1-3 years), many schools use stripes on the belts to get a better idea of skill.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Exactly. Most BJJ schools require you to be competitive in sparring with others (same-size, experience, etc) to advance rank. You won't get a blue belt until you can roll competitively with blue belts, consistently.

This is why I am still a white belt after two years. :erg:

Reaction score
and remain injury free

And this would be the key. Highly doubtful that anyone would be able to roll for that many hours a day at the intesity that you'd need without an injury in the first week let alone an entire year. It's still be worth the experience though.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a good point. Serious injuries are rare but minor ones do happen. The best laid plans of mice and men...

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I remember correctly Lloyd Irvin (one of the top BJJ Teams in the US) made Blue Belt in 30 days and Black in 3 1/2 yrs. He also says that he made Black Belt in Judo in a year.

If you have a strong grappling background and understand the strategy and are a prodigy it might be possible, but highly unlikely.

Besides, what's the rush?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Alberto Crane went from white to black in a little over three years in Brazil, but he definitely qualifies as "prodigy," or at least a talented wrestler beforehand. No rush.......

joemoplata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I remember correctly Lloyd Irvin (one of the top BJJ Teams in the US) made Blue Belt in 30 days and Black in 3 1/2 yrs. He also says that he made Black Belt in Judo in a year.

If you have a strong grappling background and understand the strategy and are a prodigy it might be possible, but highly unlikely.

Besides, what's the rush?
Nope, Lloyd did not get his blue in 30 days nor did he get his bb in 3.5 years.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Joemoplata---

I only quoted what was on Lloyd's website. Do you have different information about the claim? I do not, I have only read his ads in magazines but have no direct knowledge of him.

Here is from his website, under the bio section on www.lloydirvinlive.com

Lloyd Irvin Jr. got his BJJ Blue Belt in only 30 days from Leo Dalla. Only months later Dalla had to move back to Brazil leaving Lloyd in Maryland to train by himself. Lloyd did what was thought to be impossible. He received his BJJ Black Belt in only 3 ½ years, while basically teaching himself using his amazing www.TheGrapplingBlueprint.com system.
Lloyd Irvin is a World Renowned martial arts Coach, Competitor, Martial Arts Expert, Strength and Conditioning Expert and business man. He is a Multiple Time National Judo Champion, a Multiple Time National Sombo Champion and after coming out of a three-year retirement he recently became the 2005 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu World Champion. A Graduate of Bowie State University he holds the rank of 7th Degree Black Belt in Thai Jitsu, 2nd Degree Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, 5th Degree Black Belt in Combat Sombo, and a 1st Degree Black Belt in Judo.
Lloyd is the only person in the World to hold black belts in BJJ, Sombo and Judo.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
If he had other grappling knowlege I suppose it's possible. But wow, yeah.
BJ Penn got his black in around 3 years, but then he's a phenome too.

joemoplata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Joemoplata---

I only quoted what was on Lloyd's website. Do you have different information about the claim? I do not, I have only read his ads in magazines but have no direct knowledge of him.

Here is from his website, under the bio section on www.lloydirvinlive.com

I'm not even going to waste my breath discussing it to be honest, but it's he's quite a controversial figure in the BJJ world.