Weight difference causing problems

Discussion in 'Grappling / Brazilian Ju Jitsu / Wrestling' started by MA_Student, Sep 19, 2017.

1. hoshin1600

hoshin1600 Senior Master

very well stated. i am going to print this out so i can refer to it over an over. (if you dont mind)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Have at it!

3. stonewall1350

stonewall1350 Blue Belt

Heavy weight here. My advice? Win the standing game first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Flatfish

Flatfish Black Belt

@Tony Dismukes' post was fantastic. What has worked for me to get over frustration (to an extent at least) is to focus on the positive things. Yeah I eventually got tapped, but before that I did manage a sweep and got in side control or I almost had that choke, or I lasted three times as long as the last time I rolled with the same guy, or I did manage to get out of that triangle by stacking him etc. It seems to help. Of course then there are days where you just want to cry :)

5. kuniggety

kuniggety 2nd Black Belt

That's how I like to focus and, I think, a lot of people gravitate that way after spending a little time in the art. In the beginning, the drive is the tap. It's not to say that I don't still think "awesome", when I catch someone, but I'm looking for what I did wrong in order to find out what I need to work on. At some point, you'll be tapping out all of the white belts. Do you keep patting yourself on the back? Or go, okay, I should be challenging myself against the exerienced blues and the purples. I didn't get the tap, but, like you said, you got in the sweep and grabbed side control for a second.

When I was trying to learn open guard, I would get very frustrated as I would get my guard passed over and over and over. It was frustrating. Do you know what it did though? It helped me a lot on my side control escapes. I can now frustrate the hell out of anyone trying to hold me in side control and, unless they make the transition to full mount (in which I'll still be fighting) they won't be getting a tap from me.

6. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Strength 100% makes a difference that's why there's weight categories. Everyone likes to point out royce gracie in the early ufcs. Well yeah okay but first back then no one knew a thing about Jiu Jitsu but now it's widely know and if you roll with someone in class they'll obviously know a bit so if they're stronger and have the some skill set as you they have advantage. Second royce gracie has been doing Jiu Jitsu his entire life you can't compare him to people who've only been training a few years

7. Grange

Grange White Belt

I routine roll with guys much bigger than me. I'm only 5'6" and about 168 lbs, but I roll with a couple guys that are half my age 8 inches taller and probably have a good 60 lbs on me. While I have a little more grappling experience (about 2 years to their 4 months) they have about 13+ years wrestling experience. Now I do work out regularly so I am fairly strong for my size, but still can't out muscle this guys. Needless to say they can dominate me when it comes to positioning. What I do is really focus on technique with guys much bigger than me and it is paying off. I kind of count being able to maintain top position as a victory and being able tap out my partner and a big victory. I like to train at slow speeds and/or at 50 % or less power at least once a week to help me "see" things so when we go full strength and speed I'm more prepared.