This guy would kick 90% of BlackBelts *** **WARNING -- EXPLICIT CONTENT**

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I sense a touch of sarcasm there. They are in fact very simple, you just need to be accurate. My instructor used one when a guy tried to grab him from behind once, that was all he needed. there are some very good reasons you do not see them very often:

1) The lack of variety in your experiences.
2) Too much exposure to sport in lieu of self defence methods, most leg kicks in combat sporting matches are aimed at the thighs to prevent serious injury.
3) Lack of opportunity of kicks to the knee being caught on video due to the sudden nature of attacks in the street where kicks to the knee would be utilized in self defence.

You think?

Is there any examples of knee kicks being successful? Given the devastating nature of them. I mean it is just strange because you really do see a lot of unorthodox non sport moves like head butts and groin kicks throat chops eye gouges. Even flying kicks.

But no knee kicks.

Except for John Jones and that is sport.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6r27t7loW5I

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
in muay thai you taught knee kicks cos they form part of kick training - knee's, thighs, waist, chin. they don't get used much cos they're easy enough to block and with the primary stance that's used in muay thai you'd have no problems defending such a kick.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have a duty of care to the public and so have a duty to controls the duchebags that come out of our club.
Different country different rules I guess here once they leave they are no longer your duty. Here however it's also illegal to keep selling alcohol to people that are drunk. If that rule were enforced a little more often the bouncers jobs would be alot easier.
The David hooks case is one of the highest profile examples of that.

7.30 Report - 12/09/2005: Micevic cleared of killing cricketer David Hookes
Ok?
One of my worst personal story of police just not caring was a guy who tried to jump off the roof of a car par. I clamped him as he ran for the edge and called the cops.

And nobody came.

After a while we both got bored with the concept and I let him go.
You guys need better cops then. However not coming and not caring are not the same thing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Different country different rules I guess here once they leave they are no longer your duty. Here however it's also illegal to keep selling alcohol to people that are drunk. If that rule were enforced a little more often the bouncers jobs would be alot easier.

Ok?

You guys need better cops then. However not coming and not caring are not the same thing.

We compete against the patronage. They try to drink we try to stop them. That in itself is a scenario that will lead to conflict.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
But no knee kicks.

Except for John Jones and that is sport.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6r27t7loW5I

Those two basic kicks shown in the video are not really fully committed to breaking the leg, they are more like I would use to keep my opponent at a distance and stop them charging forward. If you notice, he does not chamber his leg very much and only does a shallow thrust. Breaking the leg is more easily performed from the side unless the front leg is straight, which is why you should always bend your knees in a stance.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Those two basic kicks shown in the video are not really fully committed to breaking the leg, they are more like I would use to keep my opponent at a distance and stop them charging forward. If you notice, he does not chamber his leg very much and only does a shallow thrust. Breaking the leg is more easily performed from the side unless the front leg is straight, which is why you should always bend your knees in a stance.

Yet you never seem to see it get done.

That kick is pretty chambered.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtLwU16-3s

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yet you never seem to see it get done.

That kick is pretty chambered.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtLwU16-3s

Also this one. Discretion advised:

Like I say, I think it's sort of a martial myth - I think these are more coincidental than anything. Very difficult to engineer such a situation deliberately. The majority of knee breaks out there on video are poorly executed takedowns where the person being taken down lands at a bad angle with their lower leg folded under them.

Last edited by a moderator:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We compete against the patronage. They try to drink we try to stop them. That in itself is a scenario that will lead to conflict.

That's what I'm saying it's illegal to serve someone to the point of intoxication. If you don't let then get to that point it's easier for everyone. The bartender can be arrested and fined for serving someone too much. I'm not sure if you have laws like that their we do and I can only think of one time it was ever enforced and that was only because a woman drank herself into a coma

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people think the knee must break to end the fight. Hyper extension to the side or front without breaking still hurts enough to stop a fight. A nice knee sprain will weaken the joint enough to drop someone and need a few weeks of rest with no breakage

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Like I say, I think it's sort of a martial myth - I think these are more coincidental than anything. Very difficult to engineer such a situation deliberately. The majority of knee breaks out there on video are poorly executed takedowns where the person being taken down lands at a bad angle with their lower leg folded under them.

Andy Hug was my favorite K1 fighter its a shame he passed at such a young age from leukemia.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying it's illegal to serve someone to the point of intoxication. If you don't let then get to that point it's easier for everyone. The bartender can be arrested and fined for serving someone too much. I'm not sure if you have laws like that their we do and I can only think of one time it was ever enforced and that was only because a woman drank herself into a coma

Yeah but you wind up with pretty much the same problem. We say no or the bartender says no and you still wind up out the front punching on with the guy.

Meanwhile the patron is in there to get drunk. They pre drink before they go out. They smuggle drinks in,hide when they are drunk,get their friends to buy the drinks for them. If they get caught they will argue and fight to stay in. Once they are out they will trespass to sneak back in.
It is a scenario that is about as us them as you can make a scenario.

And in a fight it is a pretty even match. We are not protected by law do not have defensive tools and in gener have to fight people without hurting them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people think the knee must break to end the fight. Hyper extension to the side or front without breaking still hurts enough to stop a fight. A nice knee sprain will weaken the joint enough to drop someone and need a few weeks of rest with no breakage

I have seen guys finish fights with some shonkey knees. It doesn't usually stop the guy until the next day.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I put it down as a viable shot. Just not the monster killing fight ender that people seem to think it is. And in the OPs post you would really want that shot to work.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also he had friends helping him attack the bouncers and it appears that only 2 of the bouncers were knocked down anyway.

Good point. Sadly, this is the case in many situations like this.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well theres still no knee kick KO in UFC. Only guys that hurt their own legs when trying to kick.

Knees are not that woulnerable in a fight, because you move lightly on your toes.

Oddly enough, that guy didn't seem to me, like he moved too lightly.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Black belt would use too complicated technics and overthink.

Only if they haven't been trained properly.

This guy just hits hard, even if you use a fancy block, he will hurt you. Just hit threw it.

And again, you're comparing guys with no fighting experience, to this punk. You think that just because he's big and hits hard, that he is unstoppable? I think you're living in fantasy land.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have seen guys finish fights with some shonkey knees. It doesn't usually stop the guy until the next day.
Then they were not hit hard enough. Look believe what you want Ive taken people down and ended fights with shot to the side or back of the knee. Even easier when its a big fat drunk guy taking wild swings off balance.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes sure, but if it really is such a good trick to break the knees, then why does it never happen in the UFC. It seems really harder to do than most like to think.

Dude, are you just here to troll? Because if so, you'll be on a fast track to getting banned! Perhaps you should refresh yourself with the rules that YOU agreed to, upon joining this forum!

That said, are you another "If it doesn't happen in the UFC, then it can never happen" guy? Nothing is a sure shot. That said, the knees are 1 option of many. Of course, anyone with any quality training should already know that.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then they were not hit hard enough. Look believe what you want Ive taken people down and ended fights with shot to the side or back of the knee. Even easier when its a big fat drunk guy taking wild swings off balance.

Easier because he has more weight on the knee due to his size. He will not be able to put any significant portion of his weight on a damaged, weakened knee.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've studied from a lot of instructors who told me to kick someone in the knee and break it as a primary means of self-defense but can't remember anyone ever telling me they've used it in a real scenario to that effect. My thought is you can get some pain there but doing structural damage is an unlikely outcome in a real encounter--and with big, drunk guys esp., I'm looking to do things that must make them stop, not things that make them hurt.

Latest Discussions