This guy would kick 90% of BlackBelts *** **WARNING -- EXPLICIT CONTENT**

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the signs hanging in my dojo says, "The bigger they are, the harder they HIT. That's why there are weight divisions."

That being said -I have never known a boxer, a wrestler, an intermediate BJJ guy, a good hockey player or a cunning city kid who wouldn't smoke that fat bastard in ten seconds. He's a one trick pony with a swinging right hand - hell, that's the guy you dream about if you have to fight - big target, wide swinging and stupid. Will you get hit? Sure, it happens in a fight sometimes (Gee, ya think?) Then he takes off his shirt. Know why? Two reasons - because he's already overheating from weight and alcohol and he NEEDS to convince himself and his buddies he's a tough guy. Please God, if I ever get attacked by a young bull, let it be him with that big swing.

As a cop you answer calls like that all the time. It makes you wish you were off duty just so you can drop him.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with this. It's interesting, because so often we hear people say that the odds of a MAist getting into a fight are slim. We hear people ask whether or not they'd train under a teacher who didn't have real world experience. The list goes on and on. But you're right, and while I might not agree fully, with the stats that OP used, I think that many MAists, might be in trouble. Now, all that said, this guy is the typical Tank Abbot street brawler. Think about it. How many times, have we seen a MA class, in which a tech is being demo'd, and the attacker doesn't 'throw the attack correctly' and the defender asks for it again....'correctly'?

Personally, I don't see anything special about the way this guy fought, other than being big, and strong. However, IMO, this doesn't mean that he's unbeatable. Obviously, the smart thing to do is go for the more vulnerable areas, but when all else fails, I also see nothing wrong with picking something up and using it. Sure, I know...it'll probably be frowned upon by some, but if your *** is on the line, use an equalizer.

Also he had friends helping him attack the bouncers and it appears that only 2 of the bouncers were knocked down anyway.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
See the way he beats up those bouncers. Given a few months of boxing training, that naturally strong, intimidating and powerful guy would take out 99% of blackbelts.

I have to absolutely disagree with you. 99% of black belts (I also have brown belts, and one blue braided cotton one that I wear on occassion, but you didn't mention those) would have enough brains to avoid getting in a situation where they would have to fight with a large bruiser.

yorukage

White Belt
Reaction score
Awesome, I'm a big guy and I have a black belt. I must be unstoppable by the OP's logic! A veritable juggernaut! haha

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to absolutely disagree with you. 99% of black belts (I also have brown belts, and one blue braided cotton one that I wear on occassion, but you didn't mention those) would have enough brains to avoid getting in a situation where they would have to fight with a large bruiser.

^^This. 99% of black belts would have beaten him without even lifting a finger, by not being there, outside that bar. The more I read that '99% of black belts' line, the more I am thinking 'does he take them out all at once or one at a time?'

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Well, yes. By that same token, Jon Jones would never beat me in a fight - because I'm not stupid enough to take him on and he has better things to do than fight random people for no paycheck. :)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That being said -I have never known a boxer, a wrestler, an intermediate BJJ guy, a good hockey player or a cunning city kid who wouldn't smoke that fat bastard in ten seconds. He's a one trick pony with a swinging right hand - hell, that's the guy you dream about if you have to fight - big target, wide swinging and stupid. Will you get hit? Sure, it happens in a fight sometimes (Gee, ya think?) Then he takes off his shirt. Know why? Two reasons - because he's already overheating from weight and alcohol and he NEEDS to convince himself and his buddies he's a tough guy. Please God, if I ever get attacked by a young bull, let it be him with that big swing.

I play a lot of online video games, and there are a lot of enemies that are really easy as long as you don't get hit by that one big attack. These enemies can take weeks before you bring them down. "Just avoid that fist" is fine until the one time you mess up and get hit.

^^This. 99% of black belts would have beaten him without even lifting a finger, by not being there, outside that bar. The more I read that '99% of black belts' line, the more I am thinking 'does he take them out all at once or one at a time?'

Unless those black belts were in a profession where they had to de-escalate the situation. Granted, in those cases, maybe less lethal compliance aids or a more lethal compliance encourager would be a better option.

OP
Kofo

Kofo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yup....video clearly demonstrates the guy has knees just like the rest of us.....In a Self-defense situation with no rules, aim for the natural weak points....

Well theres still no knee kick KO in UFC. Only guys that hurt their own legs when trying to kick.

Knees are not that woulnerable in a fight, because you move lightly on your toes.

OP
Kofo

Kofo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I disagree. He's just as vulnerable as anybody else at several points in that video.

Gnarlie

Black belt would use too complicated technics and overthink.

This guy just hits hard, even if you use a fancy block, he will hurt you. Just hit threw it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
D bags like this get booted out on their heads every weekend all over the world. Fat drunk jerk are a dime a dozen.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I play a lot of online video games, and there are a lot of enemies that are really easy as long as you don't get hit by that one big attack. These enemies can take weeks before you bring them down. "Just avoid that fist" is fine until the one time you mess up and get hit.

Unless those black belts were in a profession where they had to de-escalate the situation. Granted, in those cases, maybe less lethal compliance aids or a more lethal compliance encourager would be a better option.

If "these enemies can take weeks before you bring them down" refers to the brawler in the video - from my experience in about thirty more seconds he'd be sucking so much wind you'ld have to help sit him down. If you're referring to on-line video - I dunno, okay.

I worked as a bouncer in some of the busiest clubs in Boston for many a year. There were fifty guys just like that one. As for him hitting, it's a big swing, they hurt like all big swings do, nothing new. But those big swings are nothing more than force, they pale in comparison to somebody who actually knows how to punch. I'll take that big swing to the chops any day. Besides, there's lots of ice in the bar, no worries.
As a cop - those guys tend to puke in the cruiser. And that really sucks.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Alright, so most of you probably aren't online gamers. What I meant is these boss fights, where you get 10 or 25 people to go into, usually last about 10 minutes. Quite often it's easy so long as you avoid that big hit that will kill you. So your group of 25 people, that probably plays a few hours a night a few nights a week, might take weeks worth of attempts (sometimes its in the hundreds how many times you face off before you finally down him). Even though the boss is "easy" and all you have to do is avoid being hit.

I think a similar principle applies here. "All you have to do is dodge his overhand right." Well, the question isn't can you dodge it, but can you dodge it every time until you can convince him (through pain, submission, or just he gets winded) to give up the fight? You take one of those hits and it's probably going to rock you a lot more than the quick jabs you can get on him.

I'm not saying he's unbeatable, but rather "just avoid that one punch" becomes a lot harder when you have to avoid it every time. The difference between this and the video game is you don't get further attempts to take him down; you either defend yourself or you get your face bloodied.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Alright, so most of you probably aren't online gamers. What I meant is these boss fights, where you get 10 or 25 people to go into, usually last about 10 minutes. Quite often it's easy so long as you avoid that big hit that will kill you. So your group of 25 people, that probably plays a few hours a night a few nights a week, might take weeks worth of attempts (sometimes its in the hundreds how many times you face off before you finally down him). Even though the boss is "easy" and all you have to do is avoid being hit.

I think a similar principle applies here. "All you have to do is dodge his overhand right." Well, the question isn't can you dodge it, but can you dodge it every time until you can convince him (through pain, submission, or just he gets winded) to give up the fight? You take one of those hits and it's probably going to rock you a lot more than the quick jabs you can get on him.

I'm not saying he's unbeatable, but rather "just avoid that one punch" becomes a lot harder when you have to avoid it every time. The difference between this and the video game is you don't get further attempts to take him down; you either defend yourself or you get your face bloodied.

Yeah a guy who is big and swinging hard is someone you fight with a bit of caution.

But ultimately mob the guy with numbers and slow those hands down. Put him on the deck and hold him there. Fat guys don't get off the ground so well.

(Oh what about everybody jumping in while you were on the ground?)

Well I am glad you asked that question.

Who cares you were getting your **** kicked regardless.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bit hard to knock someone out by kicking them in their knee.
Admittedly not familiar with UFC rules, but I have only seen roundhouse instep kicks to the knees. For a self defence with a big guy like the one in the video, I would be looking for an opening for a downward side thrust kick to the side or top front of the knee. This would not knock him out. I am looking to tear him down in order to minimize his power. Again, I would be evasive as possible. Not interested in trading punches. I would lose.

Know your strengths and weaknesses and that of your attacker. Attempt to turn their strength against them. Is it easy? No. Will you get hit? Yes.... But a blackbelt should be familiar with these concepts.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well theres still no knee kick KO in UFC. Only guys that hurt their own legs when trying to kick.

Knees are not that woulnerable in a fight, because you move lightly on your toes.

That dude does not move lightly on his toes. And the guys he was fighting forgot rule #1. KEEP YOUR DAMN HANDS UP AT ALL TIMES. I'd take a fight with that big fat dude over a lot of martial artists I know.

Latest Discussions