Then vs. Now Differences

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean they don't use used X-ray paper. It's a blank plastic sheet, it doesn't have someone's broken arm on it lol.
The ones we used back in the 80's were used. No identifying marks of course but I do remember seeing so gruesome breaks.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean they don't use used X-ray paper. It's a blank plastic sheet, it doesn't have someone's broken arm on it lol.
Why not? What’s the difference? Used ones are free.

I think X-ray film is going to be more scarce. Most are on CD now. Actually, most are emailed nowadays. You have to request physical copies.

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would be very interested to know what the rule sets were for the Korean National Championships in the mid 60s. All I know is that they were full contact and without body armor.

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would be very interested to know what the rule sets were for the Korean National Championships in the mid 60s. All I know is that they were full contact and without body armor.
The first World TKD championship was held in Seoul, South Korea in 1973. What sport are you referring to?

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1963 Won the First Korean Tae Soo Do [Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, Kong Soo Do] Full Contact Heavyweight Championship in 3rd, 4th,5th Degree Black Belt Division. Won the Korean Tae Soo Do Representative Full Contact Heavyweight Championship

Grand Master C.K. Choi | Tae kwon Do Pioneers

Last edited:
OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's that hard? You have never heard of Jong Soo Park?

Grand Master Jong Soo Park - Taekwondo

in 1964, he became Korean National Champion
Sure, most people studying more traditional TKD have heard of him. I got to meet and work out with him in Chicago 1986 or 87. Still do not see what he has to do with a TSD championship?
There is no reference on search engines to a Korean national championship until 1973. That said, I would think the individual styles were holding competitions to that effect.

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sure, most people studying more traditional TKD have heard of him. I got to meet and work out with him in Chicago 1986 or 87. Still do not see what he has to do with a TSD championship?
There is no reference on search engines to a Korean national championship until 1973. That said, I would think the individual styles were holding competitions to that effect.

There were official TaeKwondo championships prior to 1973:

1962 Won the First Korean Tae Kwon Do Championships in Sparring and Pattern in Won Joo city, in Korea. This was the World First Tae Kwon Do Championship. Selected as a member of the First Korean Army Representative Team.

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There were official TaeKwondo championships prior to 1973:

1962 Won the First Korean Tae Kwon Do Championships in Sparring and Pattern in Won Joo city, in Korea. This was the World First Tae Kwon Do Championship. Selected as a member of the First Korean Army Representative Team.

I just said that. You referenced Tang Soo Do.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I would have loved to have met him. My TKD instructor, Billy Blanks, trained under him to 7th Dan. Billy told some great stories of him. When someone asked about him Billy would whistle and smile, saying “Man, you should see him fight”

Latest Discussions