The Traveling Sensei (business Model)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What are the going Prices these days for karate classes?

We have been charging $65 dollars a month for two classes a week.
Not sure about Karate, but in my area, TKD averages 80-120 a month for two classes a week. The price point seems to vary based on length of contract.

Daniel

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tuition for MA classes held in their own location seem to run $85-$180 a month in my area. The classes in parks, community centers, warehouses, etc are generally priced less, sometimes much less. (Not to look down on those training opportunities... in fact, they can be superb since the teacher and students who use facilities like those long term are in it for the love of the art.)

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a creative idea, that could prosper in an economic time such as this. Space at peoples homes would be the biggest issue, however, if weather is taken into effect, you can always train outside.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach for free in a rec center & have taught in a park for $60 a month which barely covered my gas to get to it.

As it was stated though, I don't do it for $$. I do it to pass along what I've learned. My day job takes care of that.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can tell you it works from my own experience. I started karate with my sensei as an after school program payed for separately from tuition. He visited 2 weekdays and Saturday afternoon. We used the school gym, track, football field, basketball court, etc. Each student payed by the month and he taught like this at 3 other schools as well as his home dojo where his lower black belts taught beginner and intermediate classes and he would get there in the evening with time to teach advanced classes.

During summer holidays when he was not visiting my school I would train at the regular Seido dojo.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tuition here is about $100/month for unlimited classes. Its rare to see schools here offer 2 classes per week, the one I know that does teach on this schedule is $60/month

I love the idea of teaching at businesses! I wish someone was available here to do something similar...although my office is so small it likely wouldn't be profitable for the sensei.

Good luck with your efforts :asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol, dig that foxy picture!

Daniel

Thank you! I feel a certain kinship with foxy redheads ;)

I took her picture while I was out hiking a couple months back. Hope I have a chance to photograph a moose this summer :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you! I feel a certain kinship with foxy redheads ;)

I took her picture while I was out hiking a couple months back. Hope I have a chance to photograph a moose this summer :)

All you need is a flying squirrel to tell him the logic of sitting still for a photo. :D

Daniel