The Traveling Sensei (business Model)

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
So I have been toying with this idea of instead of opening up a dojo for people to come to, I could do private lessons/group training sessions for a monthly fee, and just come to them instead.

I kind of got the idea from when I started massage therapy classes. I had been toting around my massage table like a mule, and thought. "I could bring my Martial Arts equipment a whole lot easier."

Maybe do mini self defense seminars at family reunions, corporate events, etc.

I have a small dojo in my home, so for the "hardcore" practitioners/students, we can work on the art its self.

The reason why I have formulated this plan is that it seems with the economy folks just aren't able to make it out as much or as often anymore, so if I were to narrow it all down to private/private group lessons, that market is still untapped.

I haven't worked up a price scale just yet, but with the travel I would have to factor in gas.

I am definitely open to suggestions and constructive Criticism.

Thanks in advance

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm part of a corporate wellness program where employees may train for free with me. Classes are held onsite at the client location and also at a health gym. I consider my travel costs/time factored in already into my fee to the client.

It's been a successful arrangement. Many of these people would never consider joining a dojo on their own, but within a 'business' setting, they enjoy the training and exercise. I have found that the type of training needs to be focused to this audience however.

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no problem modifying the curriculum to the students..

it's just a matter of pricing and marketing it.

Also, I just wanted to see if anyone else does this is see what they may charge. I figure since we're all in different areas, we wouldn't be stepping on any economic toes

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Most people probably don't have an appropriate space in their home. When my son and I practice at home, we push all the furniture to the edges of the living room, but still have to stop and reposition in the middle of most patterns.

Doing it for offices could work. My company offers free yoga during lunch.

You could also offer classes in a park. There are several fitness clubs near my home which see to do everything at the park.

Good luck.

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most people probably don't have an appropriate space in their home. When my son and I practice at home, we push all the furniture to the edges of the living room, but still have to stop and reposition in the middle of most patterns.

Doing it for offices could work. My company offers free yoga during lunch.

You could also offer classes in a park. There are several fitness clubs near my home which see to do everything at the park.

Good luck.

The Park has always been an idea of mine. Although it is usually going to be effected by weather and that sort of thing, but a lot of people just enjoy being out doors.

Does your company have people sign liability waivers?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Been doing private lessons with students for a while. Biggest challenge is inclement weather and confined spaces. Apartment dwellers don't always have the room to do hapkido and indoor sword work is not a good idea in most homes.

I haven't expanded beyond a few students that I know very, very well. I think that the idea of the travelling instructor is good. It can certainly be appealing to those who don't wish to burn the gas.

A good friend of mine makes his living doing just that with guitar lessons.

Daniel

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Also, I just wanted to see if anyone else does this is see what they may charge. I figure since we're all in different areas, we wouldn't be stepping on any economic toes

I charge a minimum of $3000 per six week session for 2-3 1 hour classes. I'm also entitled to an overage fee if the class size grows beyond 20 attendees, but this hasn't happened regularly enough to where I bring it up.

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I charge a minimum of $3000 per six week session for 2-3 1 hour classes. I'm also entitled to an overage fee if the class size grows beyond 20 attendees, but this hasn't happened regularly enough to where I bring it up.

So do you have a paper contract with them?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Affirmative. I also had to provide my insurance coverage to the appropriate people for their own record keeping, and I had to pass a background check and a drug test. Standard stuff.

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah the Insurence will be the next step for me I think...I used to be covered by the building our dojo was in. We shared it with other schools/classes, kind of umbrella'ed out...thanks for the insight.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about a large U Haul type box van? With mats on the floor, and mirrors on the wall, you could have a mobile dojo perfect for one on one...

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
How about a large U Haul type box van? With mats on the floor, and mirrors on the wall, you could have a mobile dojo perfect for one on one...

I think the hot summer months would be horrible for that...kind of reminds me of the Tumblebus that travels around for Pre-Schools.

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah, no I just figure that, piano teachers, massage therapists, guitar instructors, etc all come to your home...why not a karate teacher?

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Looks like fun, and a great idea! Is this going to be supplemental income, or are you taking a chance, and going for the gold?

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Another thing you could do for a little bit of income, is offer uniforms/Gi's, shirts, gloves and such. If you have access to good deals, you could make a few bucks, and still charge a normal amount. That will save them a trip, or shipping, so it would be incentive to purchase from you. Not to mention if you can get your name/logo on it, then it would be free advertising.

Just a thought..

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
its going to be supplemental.

i would do it for free if there wasn't any price of living costs out there.

Sometimes I find it hard to charge people to do something that I love to do myself, but its really the time and the gas and such I would be charging people, since I am going to school for massage therapy and working a daytime, full time job.

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know how you feel about charging people. I teach guitar, and I too have a hard time charging people the going rate, for lessons. Especially once I get to know them, and their financial situations. Finances being the popular topic that it is, it's bound to get brought up eventually. I've even stopped charging a few people. I know what it's like to be broke, and I guess I just enjoy teaching a little too much. Ha ha

It seems like a pipe dream, at this point, but eventually, it would be great to teach MA as well. I think it's great that you have the opportunity to do so!

Best of luck, and have fun!

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
What are the going Prices these days for karate classes?

We have been charging $65 dollars a month for two classes a week.

Latest Discussions