The Sjambok

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is this expensive?

Btw, I have a cold steel sjambok. Not really tested it very much.

Today I tested in against a cardboard and whipped it a few times and I must say I am REALLY disappointed.

After just a few slaps it already had a lot of scratches and even dents!

The whole "it's indestructable" stuff is a joke. Imagine what happens if you use it against wood or stone. It would be ruined in no time.

Or maybe it's supposed to be only used against soft objects like human heads. Heads probably wouldn't cause dents or scratches.

But I have no heads to practice the whipping process.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can somebody describe how to best use a SB for self defense? Do you just try to hit the head/eyes and swing it like a golf club only sideways and at head height?

My concern is that striking with it is rather easy but using it to defend yourself against punches or other attacks probably requires practice.
The Sjambok

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What would happen if you hit somebody across the face full force? Would it create a huge gaping cut?

I really wonder how much damage you can do with a sjambok.

I mean in case of being attacked I needed to know that 1 hit would suffice and turn the attacker into a mess.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What would happen if you hit somebody across the face full force? Would it create a huge gaping cut?

Yup. The Sjambok

I mean in case of being attacked I needed to know that 1 hit would suffice and turn the attacker into a mess.
Suffice? Pft. Betting shot, stabbed, and having limbs broken often doesn't "suffice."

The Dubious Quick Kill, part 1
The Dubious Quick Kill, Part II

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is this expe?

Btw, I have a cold steel sjambok. Not really tested it very much.

Today I tested in against a cardboard and whipped it a few times and I must say I am REALLY disappointed.

After just a few slaps it already had a lot of scratches and even dents!

The whole "it's indestructable" stuff is a joke. Imagine what happens if you use it against wood or stone. It would be ruined in no time.

Or maybe it's supposed to be only used against soft objects like human heads. Heads probably wouldn't cause dents or scratches.

But I have no heads to practice the whipping process.

I straightened out another smartassed cardboard box with my sjambok, I didn't like the way it was looking at me. No damage whatsoever to my whip.

Attachments

• downloadfile.jpeg
    downloadfile.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_201607213_065617.jpg
    IMG_201607213_065617.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
KEHCORPZ,
Hand your sjambok to a friend & tell him to give you a lash across the back of your legs fairly hard but not full force. Then you'll understand what a sjambok is for very clearly I assure you.

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score

A full force lash across the face with the last few inches of a sjambok will most likely leave a bleeding gash. The most important factor in maximizing a strike is the follow through combined with additional strikes. A properly executed sequence would be (4) strikes done in less than two seconds. The classic X pattern: face & hand / face & hand. If all four of those are successful most fights will be over very quickly.

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why does my sjambok get dents and scratches? This angers me.
Could it be a fake? But I bought it at an online store which only sells weapon stuff. Can't really imagine that they sell fakes. :(

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why does my sjambok get dents and scratches? This angers me.
Could it be a fake? But I bought it at an online store which only sells weapon stuff. Can't really imagine that they sell fakes. :(
Because the world is against you. Best to cash in now, before it's too late.

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think is more useful a sjambok or a baseball bat?
I think I'd rather go with the sjambok. Using a BB isn't that easy. The attacker could just deflect it with his arms.
With the sjambok your moves are also much faster.

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The sjambok is MUCH, MUCH faster also non-lethal. Battery is a much lighter charge than murder. Sjamboks only drawback is impossible to carry concealed. It will set an aggressor on fire though. I've read reports of men with permanent sjambok scars that they got through they're clothes. Which were ripped to shreds after a few strikes.

Last edited:

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I, or anyone with experience, would much rather face an attacker welding a baseball bat than a sjambok any time.

The possible pain level with a sjambok is indescribable. It is truly paralyzing.

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The sjambok's inability to be carried concealed is because of its lack of flexibility but that same stiffness is what makes a lash(s) from it so painful. Ask the South African police how effective the sjambok is. The fact the sjambok is widely used in South Africa, and has been for hundreds of years, speaks to just how effective it is. Nothing else comes close.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The sjambok's inability to be carried concealed is because of its lack of flexibility but that same stiffness is what makes a lash(s) from it so painful.
Apparently the weapon is somewhat flexible and, from what I've read, is often concealed by wrapping about the waist, slipping into the sleeves (crossing the shoulders), or down a pants leg.

"A strip of the animal's hide is cut and carved into a strip 0.9 to 1.5 metres (3 to 5 ft) long, tapering from about 25 mm (1 in) thick at the handle to about 10 mm (3⁄8 in) at the tip. This strip is then rolled until reaching a tapered-cylindrical form. The resulting whip is both flexible and durable." ref: Sjambok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I owned one of the Cold Steel knockoffs and it was certainly flexible enough to slide into sleeves if I were so inclined, though I can't imagine it'd be the most comfortable way to conceal.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apparently the weapon is somewhat flexible and, from what I've read, is often concealed by wrapping about the waist, slipping into the sleeves (crossing the shoulders), or down a pants leg.

"A strip of the animal's hide is cut and carved into a strip 0.9 to 1.5 metres (3 to 5 ft) long, tapering from about 25 mm (1 in) thick at the handle to about 10 mm (3⁄8 in) at the tip. This strip is then rolled until reaching a tapered-cylindrical form. The resulting whip is both flexible and durable." ref: Sjambok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I owned one of the Cold Steel knockoffs and it was certainly flexible enough to slide into sleeves if I were so inclined, though I can't imagine it'd be the most comfortable way to conceal.
sjambokferrule.jpg

106885.jpg

sjambok.jpg

8df3bb9e6573c166ad7c27f6a96a355a.jpg

0813560702.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The bottom line on the sjambok is it will light you on fire making all other flail-type weapons obsolete. Even in CQB you can strike the person making contact at the midpoint & the tip will wrap around the body popping the sh#= outta the target. Sheer genius simplicity.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The bottom line on the sjambok is it will light you on fire making all other flail-type weapons obsolete.
Personally, I prefer the Slungshot.

Even in CQB you can strike the person making contact at the midpoint & the tip will wrap around free body popping the sh#= outta the target. Sheer genius simplicity.
That's a feature of pretty much every weighted flexible weapon from the Medieval Flail to the "Manriki" Gusari.

DisasterOfMari1266.JPG

Manriki.JPG

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Your right but the sjambok is not weighted. My 42" only weighs a few oz.'s & will pass thru any metal detector with no problem. As I said nothing comes close. The incredible effectiveness the South African police have had using it for decades proves this. IMO law enforcement world-wide should be using the sjambok.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My 42" only weighs a few oz.'s & will pass thru any metal detector with no problem.
Umm... So?

As I said nothing comes close.
Disagree.

The incredible effectiveness the South African police have had using it for decades proves this.
Police (and criminals) in the U.S. have been using the Slungshot for as long as I've been able to track its use in newpaper reports. There are reports of Slungshot style devices in Colonial news, proving it is more effective (right?). The Japanese have been using the Gusari since the 12th Century proving that it is even more effective than that (right?).

IMO law enforcement world-wide should be using the sjambok.
Good heavens, no. The threat of the sjambok is in extreme pain caused by more or less "superficial" wounds to the skin and shallow muscle tissue near the surface. It is a weapon of intimidation and fear, and sometimes torture. The sjambok bursts the skin like pustulant sores, causing intense pain and often leaving dramatic scars, but doing little to damage deeper down. A good baton is a far better choice for a less-lethal police weapon.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions