The Sjambok

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The sjambok has stood the test of time proving it's superiority to all other flail-type weapons, offensively AND defensively. It's combination of length, speed & pain potential are unmatched. We Americans & Europeans have barely scratched the surface of the sjambok's usefulness in SD.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you keep referring to grading as a money-maker. Yes, some schools do structure it that way, but it's actually a money-loser for many instructors, given the amount of time it takes away from other activities.

We Americans & Europeans have barely scratched the surface of the sjambok's usefulness in SD

You can speak for Europeans now? You have a good knowledge of laws in Europe? I think your love affair with this thing is clouding the facts.

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The name SJAMBOK seems to have originated ascambuk in Indonesia, where it was the name of a wooden rod for punishingslaves, where it was possibly derived from the Persian chabouk or chabuk. When Malayan slaves arrived in South Africa in the 1800s, the instrument and its name were imported with them, the material was changed to hide, and the name was finally incorporated intoAfrikaans, spelled as sambok.

The instrument is also known as imvubu(hippopotamus in Zulu), kiboko(hippopotamus in Swahili) and asmnigolo (hippopotamus in Malinké). In the Portuguese African colonies andCongo Free State it was called a chicote, from the Portuguese word for whip.

In the Belgian Congo, the instrument was also known as fimbo and was used to force labour from local people through flogging, sometimes to death. The official tariff for punishment in this case was lowered in time from twenty strokes to eight, then (in 1949) six, and progressively four and two, until flogging was outlawed completely in 1955. In North Africa, particularly Egypt, the whip was called a kurbash, after theArabic for whip. The term shaabuug is used in the Somali language; it can also refer to a generic leather whip.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are you telling us this?

Do you know the other day I saw a situation where I thought 'if only I had my lightsabre', that's my training btw. The school of 'if only'.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The name SJAMBOK seems to have originated ascambuk in Indonesia, where it was the name of a wooden rod for punishingslaves, where it was possibly derived from the Persian chabouk or chabuk. When Malayan slaves arrived in South Africa in the 1800s, the instrument and its name were imported with them, the material was changed to hide, and the name was finally incorporated intoAfrikaans, spelled as sambok.

The instrument is also known as imvubu(hippopotamus in Zulu), kiboko(hippopotamus in Swahili) and asmnigolo (hippopotamus in Malinké). In the Portuguese African colonies andCongo Free State it was called a chicote, from the Portuguese word for whip.

In the Belgian Congo, the instrument was also known as fimbo and was used to force labour from local people through flogging, sometimes to death. The official tariff for punishment in this case was lowered in time from twenty strokes to eight, then (in 1949) six, and progressively four and two, until flogging was outlawed completely in 1955. In North Africa, particularly Egypt, the whip was called a kurbash, after theArabic for whip. The term shaabuug is used in the Somali language; it can also refer to a generic leather whip.
In my Top Trumps cards, it seem my kukri beats your sjambok for damage. Want another game of some thing else?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The sjambok has stood the test of time proving it's superiority to all other flail-type weapons, offensively AND defensively. It's combination of length, speed & pain potential are unmatched.
Yes, yes. It's obviously a weapon clearly superior to everything else. It's a valid defense against nuclear weapons. If only Kennedy would have deployed sjamboks around Cuba the missile crisis would never have occurred. You know, speaking from very nearly almost close to 12 whole months of practice with the weapon.

We Americans & Europeans have barely scratched the surface of the sjambok's usefulness in SD.
Well, yeah. I mean, it's not as if people of European extraction have been trading with and in Africa for centuries or anything. It's lamentable that no one of European extraction was exposed to the weapon sooner than a couple of years ago.

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, yes. It's obviously a weapon clearly superior to everything else.

Well, yeah. I mean, it's not as if people of European extraction have been trading with and in Africa for centuries or anything. It's lamentable that no one of European extraction was exposed to the weapon sooner than a couple of years ago.

#1) I said the sjambok is superior to all FLAIL-TYPE weapons.

#2) Theres a, huge difference between "exposure" 200yrs ago & exposure in a world of instantaneous information. The internet makes somewhat of a difference in the # of people information about the sjambok can reach now as opposed to the early 1800's.

Next?

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Nevertheless, there are any number of instances where pain and otherwise "superficial" injuries simply aren't enough to stop an attack."

In those instances the only logical solution would be HAULIN' ***.
afd4fb4ff4781b343b66670372251244.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does posting gory pictures up add to the conversation? No, absolutely not in fact it confirms my thoughts on why some people are here.
I would like to ask 'Winchester' and 'Russian Whip' what martial arts they study, is Russian whip just here to sell his products and 'Winchester' to tell us how superior his sjambok ( if he had it with him) is?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
#1) I said the sjambok is superior to all FLAIL-TYPE weapons.

#2) Theres a, huge difference between "exposure" 200yrs ago & exposure in a world of instantaneous information. The internet makes somewhat of a difference in the # of people information about the sjambok can reach now as opposed to the early 1800's.

Next?
The sad thing is that it appears you actually believe this.

In ten or twenty years, after you've hopefully gained some understanding of weapons and martial arts and some maturity, think back to this time.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does posting gory pictures up add to the conversation? No, absolutely not in fact it confirms my thoughts on why some people are here.
I would like to ask 'Winchester' and 'Russian Whip' what martial arts they study, is Russian whip just here to sell his products and 'Winchester' to tell us how superior his sjambok ( if he had it with him) is?
Movie_Napoleon_Dynamite_mpc23_large.jpg

Yeah, there's like a boat-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join 'cause I'm pretty good with a sjambok.

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The sad thing is that it appears you actually believe this.

In ten or twenty years, after you've hopefully gained some understanding of weapons and martial arts and some maturity, think back to this time.

Your wrong. The sjambok is all the weapon I need. Karotty Dojo, Sensai strip mall BS martial arts I don't give a sh#= about. Whatever severing an ear or finger or blinding an eye doesn't stop had dam sure better outrun me.

Attachments

• cold_steel_42_inch_sjambok_95smb_image_1.png
    cold_steel_42_inch_sjambok_95smb_image_1.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 720

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your wrong. The sjambok is all the weapon I need. Karotty Dojo, Sensai strip mall BS martial arts I don't give a sh#= about. Whatever severing an ear or finger or blinding an eye doesn't stop had dam sure better outrun me.
Or just stay far enough back and shoot you, if we're talking about someone trying to attack you, and see you carrying a giant whip.
I would much rather carry a smaller/concealable weapon, so they dont know to stay out o f its range before i get a chance to use it.

Last edited:

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Your right. The CS sjambok is impossible to conceal. Openly carrying it could have a definite deterrent effect, much like firearm open carry. No weapon is perfect. I have no interest in guns or knives.

Attachments

• ninja_katana_sword_back_strap.jpg
    ninja_katana_sword_back_strap.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The sjambok is 42". Hardly giant. It's pointless to analyze endless hypotheticals.
That's not a hypothetical, it is a probability. Someone, at least in new york, wants to attack me, they see me carrying a giant whip. Assuming that I have not been arrested for carrying the weapon already, they either will choose a new target, or use a gun if there is a reason I was chosen. This isn't a hypothetical "maybe this will happen", those are the two biggest possibilities.

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Most fights are easily avoided. Ignore & walk away is my policy. I don't go around with an attitude & try to get along with everyone.

You must live in bad area. I live in semi rural south Louisiana. Most people get along where I live.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most fights are easily avoided. I don't go around with an attitude & try to get along with everyone. Some idiots are so desperate for attention they'll settle for negative attention.
If you're carrying around a negative whip, I'm fairly certain that's being desperate for attention. And referring to things like karotty numchucks and sensai strip malls on a martial arts forum doesn't really make me think you try to get along with everyone.