The importance of Kata

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok ill bite, what makes this one of your favorite kata.

Its one of my favorite katas. I like how it incorporates the basic punches and kicks and strikes that are the primary techniques used in the art.

Its not my only favorite kata, its one of my favorite katas. There are other katas I really like too, such as Bassai Dai.

i know you have probably been asked and answered this before but ,,do you train in martial arts and what style?

I've been training in various styles for more than 25 years. My main style is Shi-to Ryu Karate.

i am not trying to knock you here but unless your 10 years old and a power ranger fan, ... i mean first off the thread is based on a karate kid clip then power rangers?? your not helping your credibility or reputation.

Jason Frank is first and foremost a real martial artist. His role in Power Rangers is something he did in addition to that but more or less its something he just did on the side. Primarily he trains in and teaches martial arts. This clip isn't supposed to be so much a clip about Power Rangers rather its a clip about Jason Frank. Do you think Jason Frank's role in Power Rangers hurts his credibility and reputation? Most likely not as he is a successful and popular instructor.

And people on this forum have posted about karate kid as well so that shouldn't hurt my reputation either. Not that my reputation here really matters as the people on this forum don't know me from Adam, and vice versa.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
And Hoshin1600 Im not trying to knock you but do you have a problem with comprehension? You seem to think that just because I post a message about Jason Frank that my message is based on Power Rangers.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You seem to think that just because I post a message about Jason Frank that my message is based on Power Rangers.
Understanble considering the kata he was doing was The Green Power Range kata.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem to think that just because I post a message about Jason Frank that my message is based on Power Rangers.

You wouldn't be talking about him if he hadn't been in Power Rangers, few if any of us would have ever heard of him if it hadn't been for Power Rangers so yes your message is based on Power Rangers. No one would have filmed him doing that kata badly if he hadn't been a Power Ranger, are you getting it yet? There's nothing wrong with Hoshin's comprehension, more that you are being obtuse.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You wouldn't be talking about him if he hadn't been in Power Rangers, few if any of us would have ever heard of him if it hadn't been for Power Rangers so yes your message is based on Power Rangers. No one would have filmed him doing that kata badly if he hadn't been a Power Ranger, are you getting it yet? There's nothing wrong with Hoshin's comprehension, more that you are being obtuse.

Funny. Because Jason Frank has quite a few legitimate martial career stats that have nothing to do with the power rangers.

7th or 9th degree black belt. Depending on where you look. A few MMA wins. A guiness world record holder and a black belt hall of famer.

You probably just didn't understand the kata.

Staff

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny. Because Jason Frank has quite a few legitimate martial career stats that have nothing to do with the power rangers.

7th or 9th degree black belt. Depending on where you look. A few MMA wins. A guiness world record holder and a black belt hall of famer.

You probably just didn't understand the kata.

Staff

Having waited up all night waiting to know if the girls from where I am are safe I am really not in the mood for your silliness nor the OPs to be honest. The OP posted a so called kata from someone who is known to most of the world as an actor a Power Ranger, the kata was poorly executed, not, it was absolute garbage, most of us have no idea who the hell he is other than a 'Power Ranger', and most of us don't actually give a stuff either. He could have used an well known martial artist, founders of style even but no, he chose a 'Power Ranger, then complains because it's mentioned, he should get over it. We don't care.
As for Guinness book of records, not a big deal if you know how they work, 'hall of famer' there's so many we are probably all in one. So colour me unimpressed.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i have nothing against Jason Frank and he could be as serious as a heart attack. i have never seen the show or heard of the guy before, until now. the issue is that the kata looks like his own concoction aimed at children to capitalize on his popularity in that demographic. it is clearly filmed with children in attendance and aimed at children. nothing wrong with that, for what it is. however i have to question when someone who says they are a full grown adult who has been studying for 25 years says that "THIS" kata is his favorite. i question why. makes me wonder if it is an attempt at trolling, or it is possible that the kata is a favorite exactly because of a percieved effectiveness in teaching children.
Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmm. (sorry 80's reference)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Having waited up all night waiting to know if the girls from where I am are safe I am really not in the mood for your silliness nor the OPs to be honest. The OP posted a so called kata from someone who is known to most of the world as an actor a Power Ranger, the kata was poorly executed, not, it was absolute garbage, most of us have no idea who the hell he is other than a 'Power Ranger', and most of us don't actually give a stuff either. He could have used an well known martial artist, founders of style even but no, he chose a 'Power Ranger, then complains because it's mentioned, he should get over it. We don't care.
As for Guinness book of records, not a big deal if you know how they work, 'hall of famer' there's so many we are probably all in one. So colour me unimpressed.

He did choose a well known martial artist and a founder of a style. He complains because discarding a kata you dont understand because the martial artist is also an actor is about the sillyest reason to discount them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did choose a well known martial artist and a founder of a style. He complains because discarding a kata you dont understand because the martial artist is also an actor is about the sillyest reason to discount them.

Bollocks.

Nobody has 'discarded' a kata, we didn't do it to start with so can't discard it. What's to understand about it, pointing your toes in a front kick? Yeah right, you're having a giraffe mate.
I'm not arguing....jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying it isn't dumb. But karate people do it.

and all Australians walk around wearing hats with corks attached to strings on them shouting 'cooee' at each other across the street, all the men wear string vests and think foreplay is shouting 'brace yourself Sheila'. So, generalise much?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and all Australians walk around wearing hats with corks attached to strings on them shouting 'cooee' at each other across the street, all the men wear string vests and think foreplay is shouting 'brace yourself Sheila'. So, generalise much?

I am saying the kick is a real karate kick. Just like the cork hat is a real hat. Nothing to do with generalisations. You didnt understand that a pointy toe kick is not just a mistake on the part of the practitioner.

Kicking someone pointy toe does not make you a bad martial artist. It is a technique within karate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you didn't notice that in the kata he was doing it completely different from the way it's done by old Okinawans'? Oh well never mind. A little education is a dangerous thing.

I notice you don't deny the foreplay thing............ guess you can't be an 'amazing' fighter and a lover.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you didn't notice that in the kata he was doing it completely different from the way it's done by old Okinawans'? Oh well never mind. A little education is a dangerous thing.

I notice you don't deny the foreplay thing............ guess you can't be an 'amazing' fighter and a lover.

Mabye like you. He thought the old Okinawans were doing it wrong.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

As for the okinawa toe kick, I know and practice that kick. Uechi ryu calls it a sokusen. What Mr. Green Ranger did was not a toe kick. The toe kick has a thrusting forward action to it. I have no problem with the kick in the kata. I believe it was meant to be an upward kick between the thighs. I learnt that kick as an "instep kick" in kempo. He called it a snap kick, which is a term I usually associate with a typical front thrust kick but whatever.

Oh and the Okinawan toe kick is not dumb. ...I'll break your ribs with it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As for the okinawa toe kick, I know and practice that kick. Uechi ryu calls it a sokusen. What Mr. Green Ranger did was not a toe kick. The toe kick has a thrusting forward action to it. I have no problem with the kick in the kata. I believe it was meant to be an upward kick between the thighs. I learnt that kick as an "instep kick" in kempo. He called it a snap kick, which is a term I usually associate with a typical front thrust kick but whatever.

Oh and the Okinawan toe kick is not dumb. ...I'll break your ribs with it.

Not from another country away you won't.

So both kicks are really real kicks. Jason Frank is a really real martial artist.

I am not sure what the problem is with the green ranger kata.

Sour grapes mabye?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it was meant to be an upward kick between the thighs. I learnt that kick as an "instep kick" in kempo.

As I said one of my favourite kicks lol, known in Wado Ryu as kingeri. There has to be an upward motions to the kick ( unless using on a very small person then an axe kick to the head is probably better :D)

What the Power Ranger was doing was a front kick I believe, maegeri, but with his toes instead of keeping his foot parallel to the floor then stretch your knee and ankle to kick, toes should not be used on this kick. To do kingeri is similar but when the knee is bent the foot is also bent with toes pointing to the floor so that the upward motion is more dynamic. yes I know it's wince making to read/watch, worse to receive though. :arghh:

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on what town you are in. :)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Understanble considering the kata he was doing was The Green Power Range kata.

Jason Frank is best known for his role in Power Rangers although that is not his main focus in life. His main focus is as a martial artist not as an actor but since people usually associate him with Power Rangers he combined the two and made a video where he teaches real martial arts but he takes on his role as the green ranger while he teaches.

Latest Discussions