The importance of Kata

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This shows the importance of Kata and how it can be used to win a fight.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lol stupidest movie ending ever. The big tough bad guy who's been destroying this kid the whole tournament suddenly stops and looks around confused while the kid does a whole kata in the middle of the ring.

It does show that moves used in katas can be applied in a fight but the way it was executed was terrible.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This shows the importance of Kata and how it can be used to win a fight.

This was a part in a movie. It appears to show "Daniel-San" performing a kata during a sparring match, which, as others have noted, is a very bad move in general. It may have confused and bewildered his opponent in the movie; I am sure it would not keep someone from being pummeled in an actual match.

However, as the movie shows the opponent attacking Daniel at the exact moment that a particular portion of the kata demonstrated a throw and a strike, it all fit together.

The basic point you make is sound. Kata encodes within it many, many, tools which can be used in self-defense. One would not expect to 'do kata' during a fight or even a sparring match, but one would certainly hope to be able to call upon the appropriate tool at the appropriate time; this is exemplified as the throw and subsequent punch in the movie clip.

I love kata and consider it vital to karate. Others do not, and that's fine. I will keep doing kata.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The basic point you make is sound. Kata encodes within it many, many, tools which can be used in self-defense. One would not expect to 'do kata' during a fight or even a sparring match, but one would certainly hope to be able to call upon the appropriate tool at the appropriate time; this is exemplified as the throw and subsequent punch in the movie clip.

I love kata and consider it vital to karate. Others do not, and that's fine. I will keep doing kata.

Well said Bill.

Kata is a catalog of techniques, principles and strategies. Used properly (bunkai) those techniques can be utilized effectively in a dynamic, fluid and everchanging situation, from multiple angles. As an example, a portion of kata that demonstrates a shoulder lock allows the use of that technique regardless of whether you're standing or on the ground i.e. the joint can be manipulated from various angles and positions due to the specific range of motions of the joint.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's stupid even by Hollywood MA movie standards. I'd defend the practice of kata, but why bother; the thread's a joke anyway.

For anyone who actually knows Seiunchin, is it just the way I was taught it or did he skip quite a few steps and moves in there?

And I'm not saying my Seiunchin is beautiful (I haven't done it in quite some time), but was that ugly or what?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photonguy, why do you do this? Time and time again we tell you that stuff you see on films is..wait for it..NOT REAL. sometimes I think you do this just to troll then I remember your other posts, please don't do this, you are so way off it's painful, read what everyone has said and take it onboard.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This clip was obviously from a movie and its not something you would do in a real fight but from my observations all too often kata is overlooked and people think its useless for developing real fighting skills. In a real fight you certainly aren't going to start doing a kata but the techniques and movements you do in katas can be used in real fights. Furthermore katas help develop strength, speed, and there's also the mental aspect. When you do a kata you're supposed to imagine you're really fighting people. A football player isn't going to start lifting weights during a game out on the field but that doesn't mean football players don't use weightlifting to help them develop attributes that they use in football matches.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This clip was obviously from a movie and its not something you would do in a real fight but from my observations all too often kata is overlooked and people think its useless for developing real fighting skills. In a real fight you certainly aren't going to start doing a kata but the techniques and movements you do in katas can be used in real fights. Furthermore katas help develop strength, speed, and there's also the mental aspect. When you do a kata you're supposed to imagine you're really fighting people. A football player isn't going to start lifting weights during a game out on the field but that doesn't mean football players don't use weightlifting to help them develop attributes that they use in football matches.

Well stated.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sure but what we are saying is you posted a very poor example.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure but what we are saying is you posted a very poor example.

Well its not meant to be taken too seriously, while the point behind it is real the example was also meant to include the element of humor.

And Tez3 here's some advice, lighten up. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Tez3 here's some advice, lighten up. :)

Pot kettle? I'm not in need of lightening up thank you, but you really need to read threads here before posting. This one we've been over many times, kata is for civilian unarmed self defence, nothing to do with competitions, educate yourself, someone has already advised you to look at Iain Abernethy's site, read the articles there, that will lead you on to other Bunkai experts. You will also learn how to do kata and Bunkai rather than this vague 'think about fighting someone while you are doing kata' stuff. Perhaps then you will stop posting film clips as if they were real life.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tez3 thank you for mentioning Lain Abernathy's site. I've looked it up and it looks like a really good site. Very informative and its got a forum as well, I just might join the forum. :)

As for kata in competitions, in the Karate tournaments I've been to they do have the kata division where people compete with katas. At least that's how it as at the tournaments I've been too. But aside from that as you said kata is for unarmed self defense. My point exactly, kata can be very useful in helping with self defense through the techniques and sequences that you do in a kata. Unfortunately all too often people overlook kata, they say its useless or at least not all that helpful in a real fight. Im trying to dispel that myth. And when you do kata you're supposed to imagine that you're really blocking a technique thrown by an opponent, that you're really striking an opponent, ect. You're supposed to be an actor when you do a kata otherwise the kata is dead, at least that's how I was taught.

As for lightening up, you say its painful to read some of my posts. You really shouldn't get all worked up over what somebody who you don't know says on some internet forum. If you do you've got issues. Life is too short to get worked up over such stuff.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kata is vital for the leg work alone, you leg day skippers. o_O
I know you were poking fun... but I used to hit the gym, lift, then go intot he closed-off aerobics room when the girls weren't in there and run through all my poomse for my cardio. It worked for me, and got a bi of extra "workout" time in.

And, for a early 20s guy, did bring me some... um... fans. Yes, that's what I'm going to call them. Fans. Not students. Fans.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've looked it up and it looks like a really good site. Very informative and its got a forum as well, I just might join the forum

Yes you will find several of us already on there. Iain's seminars are even better, he's a lovely man, with a brilliant sense of humour and is amazing to train with.

You're supposed to be an actor when you do a kata otherwise the kata is dead, at least that's how I was taught

No, just no. You have been badly taught.

You really shouldn't get all worked up over what somebody who you don't know says on some internet forum. If you do you've got issues. Life is too short to get worked up over such stuff.

I'm sorry but you had me roaring with laughter at this, you really are mistaken if you think I'm worked up, you are reading what I write quite wrongly, I think you misread a lot of what people write on here which I think is the bigger part of the problem. You misunderstand what I say, you are assigning emotions that are totally inappropriate onto to my words therefore giving them a different meaning. Lecturing me is also extremely funny if somewhat patronising as well as being completely redundant. The problem is that you make 'true' statements of your opinions and expect us to agree with you but we aren't going to agree with you just to be agreeable. :cool:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes you will find several of us already on there. Iain's seminars are even better, he's a lovely man, with a brilliant sense of humour and is amazing to train with.

No, just no. You have been badly taught.

I'm sorry but you had me roaring with laughter at this, you really are mistaken if you think I'm worked up, you are reading what I write quite wrongly, I think you misread a lot of what people write on here which I think is the bigger part of the problem. You misunderstand what I say, you are assigning emotions that are totally inappropriate onto to my words therefore giving them a different meaning. Lecturing me is also extremely funny if somewhat patronising as well as being completely redundant. The problem is that you make 'true' statements of your opinions and expect us to agree with you but we aren't going to agree with you just to be agreeable. :cool:
Actually winning competitions require and extra sumthin sumthin, on the presentation side, and it is not uncommon to practice like that all the time.

Latest Discussions