The importance of Kata

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And so the idea that who cares what people train so long as they are happy is thrown out the window.

Not in the least. I don't care what people train, if they are happy then it's all good however this is a case of someone telling us how to do something, and they are incorrect. If they want to train kata like that, it's fine but don't tell us that is the only correct way and everyone else is wrong.
You can use a hammer to put a screw in a piece of wood, I don't care but don't tell me that I must use a hammer and not a screwdriver.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not in the least. I don't care what people train, if they are happy then it's all good however this is a case of someone telling us how to do something, and they are incorrect. If they want to train kata like that, it's fine but don't tell us that is the only correct way and everyone else is wrong.
You can use a hammer to put a screw in a piece of wood, I don't care but don't tell me that I must use a hammer and not a screwdriver.

Is that how you think the conversation went?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that how you think the conversation went?

Is this how you like to stir the pot when you're bored and want a argument? Sorry, not playing it bores me when people nitpick for no reason other than hubris.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is this how you like to stir the pot when you're bored and want a argument? Sorry, not playing it bores me when people nitpick for no reason other than hubris.

You think this conversation is going like that?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
How bizarre this is when hammers and nails were just used a few days ago to support the opposite position.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How bizarre this is when hammers and nails were just used a few days ago to support the opposite position.

All tools are created equal. It is the individual that matters.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So anyway, one of my favorite katas I saw from watching Jason Frank. Now, people might not take Jason Frank seriously because of his role in Power Rangers but the fact of the matter is that he is in fact a really superb martial artist in real life and he teaches in real life and he is also supposedly a really nice guy.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So anyway, one of my favorite katas I saw from watching Jason Frank. Now, people might not take Jason Frank seriously because of his role in Power Rangers but the fact of the matter is that he is in fact a really superb martial artist in real life and he teaches in real life and he is also supposedly a really nice guy.

What kata from which style did you see him do?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
What kata from which style did you see him do?

Jason Frank has a background in many different styles. As for the particular kata I saw him do, here is a video.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jason Frank has a background in many different styles. As for the particular kata I saw him do, here is a video.

I don't find this impressive at all. He is obviously a good athlete, but that does not automatically make him a good martial artist. An athlete can be effective, but it is no measurement of real knowledge or real skill.

I see poor stances, and a failure to connect his technique to his foundation. As a good athlete, if he learned how to do things at a higher level of quality, he could be a good martial artist. He needs some better instruction.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't find this impressive at all. He is obviously a good athlete, but that does not automatically make him a good martial artist. An athlete can be effective, but it is no measurement of real knowledge or real skill.

I see poor stances, and a failure to connect his technique to his foundation. As a good athlete, if he learned how to do things at a higher level of quality, he could be a good martial artist. He needs some better instruction.

Did I see him pointing his foot on the front kicks which would mean he landed the kick with his toes?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

So looking at that kata. What is his capability to engage in civilian self defence.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It looks made for TV. The moves are Huge. :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did I see him pointing his foot on the front kicks which would mean he landed the kick with his toes?

When I did karate there was a snap kick to the groin done with the instep rather than a thrust kick with the ball of the foot.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did karate there was a snap kick to the groin done with the instep rather than a thrust kick with the ball of the foot.

That kick, Kin Geri, is done with the foot pushing up so basically your instep is slamming the testicles upwards, your toes don't hit the target. I've always liked that kick. The kick he was doing in the 'kata' was pointing his toes in a normal front kick so his toes hit first...painful on him, he'll break all his toes.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok ill bite, what makes this one of your favorite kata.
i know you have probably been asked and answered this before but ,,do you train in martial arts and what style?
i am curious on how this is your favorite kata. me personally i wouldnt use something that i have only seen as a criteria for my favorite kata. my favorite kata would be something i actually have been practicing for years, and i would choose it based on my experience of preformance, historical backround, technical difficulty and my own knowledge of application or bunkai.
i am not trying to knock you here but unless your 10 years old and a power ranger fan, ... i mean first off the thread is based on a karate kid clip then power rangers?? your not helping your credibility or reputation.

Latest Discussions