The importance of Kata

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
however i have to question when someone who says they are a full grown adult who has been studying for 25 years says that "THIS" kata is his favorite.
Its one of my favorite, not my absolute favorite.

I like it because of its content and how it utilizes many of the basic techniques so I think its a good kata for beginners to learn and advanced students to keep practicing as well.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
He did choose a well known martial artist and a founder of a style. He complains because discarding a kata you dont understand because the martial artist is also an actor is about the sillyest reason to discount them.

I am not complaining about how people are responding to my post about Jason Frank. I am just sharing what I think is a really good kata in terms of content and if Jason makes some mistakes with the kata, such as pointing his toes when throwing the front kick as its been mentioned here, well Jason isn't perfect and neither is anybody else. If they want to discount Jason Frank and if they want to discount the kata that is their prerogative. Its my opinion that its a really good kata and people can agree or disagree as they choose.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jason Frank is best known for his role in Power Rangers although that is not his main focus in life. His main focus is as a martial artist not as an actor but since people usually associate him with Power Rangers he combined the two and made a video where he teaches real martial arts but he takes on his role as the green ranger while he teaches.
Seems like a good way to get the kids involved.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not complaining about how people are responding to my post about Jason Frank. I am just sharing what I think is a really good kata in terms of content and if Jason makes some mistakes with the kata, such as pointing his toes when throwing the front kick as its been mentioned here, well Jason isn't perfect and neither is anybody else. If they want to discount Jason Frank and if they want to discount the kata that is their prerogative. Its my opinion that its a really good kata and people can agree or disagree as they choose.

The kata is fine, the way it's performed not so much, I've been told he's a high ranking martial artist so one should reasonably expect his performance of kata to be competent, especially if he's teaching children. I didn't see 'mistakes' I saw incompetency for his grade.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well children do make up a huge portion of the martial arts industry.

Do they? Perhaps where you live. It's not an industry everywhere either, again perhaps where you live but not in most places. You need stop generalising.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do they? Perhaps where you live. It's not an industry everywhere either, again perhaps where you live but not in most places. You need stop generalising.

Where I live it is. Go to any martial arts school and you will see that their children classes are quite big, usually bigger than the adult classes. Go to any tournament and you will see that the children divisions have the most participants. Maybe it isn't like that where you're at but its like that where Im at and in much of the eastern USA.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think there's a MA club near me that would stay open with children.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where I live it is. Go to any martial arts school and you will see that their children classes are quite big, usually bigger than the adult classes. Go to any tournament and you will see that the children divisions have the most participants. Maybe it isn't like that where you're at but its like that where Im at and in much of the eastern USA.

You see, you make my point but you never remember that just because things are like that where you are they aren't necessarily so everywhere else. You cannot state such generalisations. It's like me saying that Americans all eat overdone steaks with tomato ketchup on, people would rightly point out that simply isn't true.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm fascinated with this part of the thread. I, too, figured children would be common in any dojo, anywhere. Not based on any "America is all there is" attitude, but on the concept that opinion, any opinion, is based on experience, information, and the understanding of said information. I just didn't have this information...yet.

So.....what about you guys and gals from countries other than Great Britain and The United States? Are kids classes common in your dojos?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm fascinated with this part of the thread. I, too, figured children would be common in any dojo, anywhere. Not based on any "America is all there is" attitude, but on the concept that opinion, any opinion, is based on experience, information, and the understanding of said information. I just didn't have this information...yet.

So.....what about you guys and gals from countries other than Great Britain and The United States? Are kids classes common in your dojos?
It's the availability heuristic at work. I'm guilty of it too...I always assumed if you wanted a dojo to run and make a profit, it was almost a necessity to have children's classes, wherever you were. At least where I am, even MMA gyms normally have kids grappling/striking classes of some sort to get their business.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the difference could well be down to the way childcare is arranged in the USA compared to how it's done in other countries. In the UK it's regulated by the government authority that deals with education so martial arts clubs and schools don't run childcare classes which would have to be inspected and passed to Ofsted ( Ofsted - GOV.UK) standards, just martial arts classes which for children rarely last longer than an hour at a time. Martial arts instructors simply won't do it just to have children as anything other than students the same as the adults. Anyone who works or takes children for anything has to have a police check, and the Martial arts organisations have child protection policies you have to follow. Many clubs think it's too much bother just to have a kids class.
Most of our martial arts clubs and schools aren't run as businesses, most make just enough to pay utilities and buy equipment plus hopefully the instructors' petrol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's the availability heuristic at work. I'm guilty of it too...I always assumed if you wanted a dojo to run and make a profit, it was almost a necessity to have children's classes, wherever you were. At least where I am, even MMA gyms normally have kids grappling/striking classes of some sort to get their business.

Heaps of kids here.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think there's a MA club near me that would stay open with children.

I don't think there's a MA club near me that would stay open without children.

Ours is probably a little more than 60/40 kids/adults. We're about 50 students total, so we're pretty small. The large and commercial places are far child heavier.

MMA and BJJ are typically the exceptions. But most MMA and BJJ places have other stuff going on, like gym equipment/membership and other spa-type stuff that supplements their income. They usually also have other styles like Muay Thai and Judo taught by rent paying instructors.

For a typical MA school in my neck of the woods, kids' tuition pays the bills.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't think there's a MA club near me that would stay open without children.

Ours is probably a little more than 60/40 kids/adults. We're about 50 students total, so we're pretty small. The large and commercial places are far child heavier.

MMA and BJJ are typically the exceptions. But most MMA and BJJ places have other stuff going on, like gym equipment/membership and other spa-type stuff that supplements their income. They usually also have other styles like Muay Thai and Judo taught by rent paying instructors.

For a typical MA school in my neck of the woods, kids' tuition pays the bills.
Kids are very important to most BJJ schools.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The kata is fine, the way it's performed not so much, I've been told he's a high ranking martial artist so one should reasonably expect his performance of kata to be competent, especially if he's teaching children. I didn't see 'mistakes' I saw incompetency for his grade.

Well this video is from back in 1995 so Jason Frank didn't have the experience he has now and he didn't have the ranks he has now but he was teaching back then. I haven't seen any recent videos of him but I assume he's made much improvement.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, having lots of children in martial arts classes isn't so common depending on where you go as its been pointed out here. In different places and in different countries having children train in the martial arts might not be so commonplace. Well, Jason Frank teaches in CA and in CA it is very common to have children in the martial arts and such classes are usually quite large so it stands to reason that Jason Frank would teach lots of children and this particular video was geared towards teaching children so that's why he incorporated his role in Power Rangers into the video. We all know that Power Rangers is pretend but the stuff he was teaching was real, even if he did take on his role while teaching it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, having lots of children in martial arts classes isn't so common depending on where you go as its been pointed out here. In different places and in different countries having children train in the martial arts might not be so commonplace. Well, Jason Frank teaches in CA and in CA it is very common to have children in the martial arts and such classes are usually quite large so it stands to reason that Jason Frank would teach lots of children and this particular video was geared towards teaching children so that's why he incorporated his role in Power Rangers into the video. We all know that Power Rangers is pretend but the stuff he was teaching was real, even if he did take on his role while teaching it.

Actually this isn't about Jason Frank, this is about your yet again assertions that everything in the world is so because it's that way where you are. it doesn't stand to reason that because he made a video with children he teaches children a lot, it doesn't even stand to reason that he teaches at all. The video is most likely just for publicity.

If you want to show a kata that you enjoy, it would be better to show someone doing it properly and not someone doing it for a publicity video.

I'm not actually sure why we are talking about him anyway, this thread is about kata not Power Rangers or Jason Frank, I assume you still feelings for Power Rangers.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not actually sure why we are talking about him anyway, this thread is about kata not Power Rangers or Jason Frank, I assume you still feelings for Power Rangers.

I never did like Power Rangers. But I do like the real person Jason Frank.