The importance of Kata

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually winning competitions require and extra sumthin sumthin, on the presentation side, and it is not uncommon to practice like that all the time.

Kata's weren't designed or meant for competition so practising like that doesn't make it correct, kata's are still meant for civilian unarmed defence, you can turn a lot of things into a competition but it doesn't make it right.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
i always thought this movie was kinda funny. despite his minimal training he beat all these other guys who have far more training experience. kobra kai and these other karate schools cant hold a candle to miyagi's teaching skills!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You won't have training partner 24/7. What do you do when training partner is not available?

Hit a bag. Heavy bag, speed bag, double ended bag, etc.

I'm not completely agreeing with EMT, I'm just stating that solo training can be against resistance such as a bag.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hit a bag. Heavy bag, speed bag, double ended bag, etc.

I'm not completely agreeing with EMT, I'm just stating that solo training can be against resistance such as a bag.
I do agree that

partner drill > sparring/wrestling > bag/equipment training > solo training

developing > testing > enhancing > polishing

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sit outs, sit out/turn ins, stand ups, penetration step, I guess you could do spinning if you have a solid/stable ottoman that's sized right. Spin one way for 30 sec, throw a crossface, then go the other way. Repeat until you puke.

I hated spinning. Actually, I despised it. Being the bottom guy with your partner spinning on top of you is almost as bad.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
i always thought this movie was kinda funny. despite his minimal training he beat all these other guys who have far more training experience. kobra kai and these other karate schools cant hold a candle to miyagi's teaching skills!

That's why its called a movie.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kata's weren't designed or meant for competition so practising like that doesn't make it correct, kata's are still meant for civilian unarmed defence, you can turn a lot of things into a competition but it doesn't make it right.

And so the idea that who cares what people train so long as they are happy is thrown out the window.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still standing on a position that kicking air is not as effective as sparring or a pad workout

The importance of sparring

You seem to think kata is instead of sparring, it's not, it's another tool to use for training. One does both. Kata is for training self defence techniques, sparring is sparring. Two quite different things with different purposes.

Being the bottom guy with your partner spinning on top of you is almost as bad.

We had a guy who when we told him he needed to take out his nipple ring, laughed...........

Latest Discussions