The best block?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought we had done newtons laws on that other thread. If you hard block , then the force,experienced by your arm as the blocker and that by the attacker is the same. Exactly the same. If that equates to equal pain is dependent on which part of the,arm is contacted and on the individuals threshold of pain

or if you have,spent a lot of time banging your arm against something, your pain response will be lower.
Equal force does not mean equal pain. If it did, we'd never punch anyone hard. Technique is the difference.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Equal force does not mean equal pain. If it did, we'd never punch anyone hard. Technique is the difference.
well no the target is the difference, rather than the techneque.
if you punch bone on bone then you are far more likely to break your hand than cause say a skull fracture. Broken hands are by no means uncommon in boxing were they have great big padded gloves on.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Agreed. A 'block' as such can spread the impact out over time or surface area or both. And those who understand why all blocks are not bang blocks understand this, as well as when it is absolutely appropriate to apply an actual bang block as hard as you can. Horses for courses as they say.

In vague general terms, block hard with soft and soft with hard. Lots of exceptions to that, but it works for basic kihon.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. A 'block' as such can spread the impact out over time or surface area or both. And those who understand why all blocks are not bang blocks understand this, as well as when it is absolutely appropriate to apply an actual bang block as hard as you can. Horses for courses as they say.

In vague general terms, block hard with soft and soft with hard. Lots of exceptions to that, but it works for basic kihon.
you cant spread impact over time????? There is a definitive moment when impack occurs and the force is created. You cant make that moment shorter or longer

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you can't understand it, I can't help you.
I can understand it perfectly, ok il go a,stage further and say, you haven't bothered to read it because if you had and were capable of understanding it, you would quickly realise that it doesn't in,anyway support you point.
just posting up something you haven't read is not supporting your wild claim

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well no the target is the difference, rather than the techneque.
if you punch bone on bone then you are far more likely to break your hand than cause say a skull fracture. Broken hands are by no means uncommon in boxing were they have great big padded gloves on.
And in blocking, technique is what changes the target on at least one side, usually on both (blocker and blockee).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can understand it perfectly, ok il go a,stage further and say, you haven't bothered to read it because if you had and were capable of understanding it, you would quickly realise that it doesn't in,anyway support you point.
just posting up something you haven't read is not supporting your wild claim

I temporarily took you off ignore. I see now that was a mistake. Back you go.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And in blocking, technique is what changes the target on at least one side, usually on both (blocker and blockee).
if your hitting bone on bone or muscle on muscle then the forces being equal the pain should be as well. If you hit your muscle on to their bone, then you will get the worse of it.

unless of Couse you have conditioned your arms to a higher pain thresh hold. But that won't,stop you actually damaging yourself, you just won't be,as aware of it

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A block is like a breath. Or like a blink. Unless it's your last, it's not really a big deal. A block is just part of a fight.

Now, if you don't care to work it, well, that's up to you.
I highly recommend the face block. It's the quickest way to end a fight.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your hitting bone on bone or muscle on muscle then the forces being equal the pain should be as well. If you hit your muscle on to their bone, then you will get the worse of it.

unless of Couse you have conditioned your arms to a higher pain thresh hold. But that won't,stop you actually damaging yourself, you just won't be,as aware of it
Again. Technique.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The same amount of force on anywhere on your body won't elicit the same amount of pain. Blocking a roundhouse kick with your forearm (shin bone on forearm bone) will hurt far less than shin bone on rib bones, and even less than shin bone on skull bones.

Blocking a roundhouse kick with the tip of the elbow when the attacker uses their instep hurts the kicker far more than the blocker. Trust me, I've kicked an elbow or two. By your logic, it would hurt both people equally.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you cant spread impact over time????? There is a definitive moment when impack occurs and the force is created. You cant make that moment shorter or longer

Sure you can. This is the principle behind padding - it slows the drive by force down over a greater period of time and simultaneously disperses the energy.

Another real world example - throw a raw egg at a brick wall, then throw another one at a sheet hanging on a clothesline. The sheet on the clothesline will slow down the impact.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure you can. This is the principle behind padding - it slows the drive by force down over a greater period of time and simultaneously disperses the energy.

Another real world example - throw a raw egg at a brick wall, then throw another one at a sheet hanging on a clothesline. The sheet on the clothesline will slow down the impact.

I'm pretty sure that's because the brick wall is a lot harder than the sheet on the clothesline...

If your principle is true, then if you threw an egg at a sheet hanging stretched completely vertically, it would react differently to a sheet that is hanging loosely.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's because the brick wall is a lot harder than the sheet on the clothesline...

If your principle is true, then if you threw an egg at a sheet hanging stretched completely vertically, it would react differently to a sheet that is hanging loosely.

Yes, the sheet has far more give than the wall, thereby significantly slowing down the impact.

The sheet that is hung and stretched tightly still has more than enough give to slow the impact down enough so the egg won't break. We did it in college physics lab. And one of the throwers was an NCAA all-American pitcher. And he couldn't break it.

Being a middle school science teacher, I also do this with my students. The only eggs that broke on the sheet so far have been eggs that were cracked already.

If you pull the sheet tight enough by using some sort of tensioning device, you might be able to break the egg. Then again, if it's that tight, the sheet will probably tear first.

Did I go too far with the information... probably.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the sheet has far more give than the wall, thereby significantly slowing down the impact.

The sheet that is hung and stretched tightly still has more than enough give to slow the impact down enough so the egg won't break. We did it in college physics lab. And one of the throwers was an NCAA all-American pitcher. And he couldn't break it.

Being a middle school science teacher, I also do this with my students. The only eggs that broke on the sheet so far have been eggs that were cracked already.

If you pull the sheet tight enough by using some sort of tensioning device, you might be able to break the egg. Then again, if it's that tight, the sheet will probably tear first.

Did I go too far with the information... probably.

Oh the fun you can have with eggs. Reminds me of when I took a raw egg down to 30m under water and cracked it open. Being a science teacher I bet you can guess the result.

Latest Discussions