The best block?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh the fun you can have with eggs. Reminds me of when I took a raw egg down to 30m under water and cracked it open. Being a science teacher I bet you can guess the result.
What happened? I figure it would get crushed by the pressure (although eggs are deceptively strong), or maybe kind of explode?

I like demonstrating the strength of eggs by putting 3 in a triangle, standing up with a bottle cap to hold them in place, and putting stuff on top of them like cinder blocks or textbooks. It's pretty cool to see how much they can hold. I had about a dozen textbooks on them one time before they broke.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Legit. I am tall and lanky and I always have had problems with the inside fighters. If you have any pointers I would love to hear them. Mainly I just try to keep the distance.

This might sound stupid, but these are problems I had myself and still sometimes have because I'm not perfect.

When they shoot in close try throwing a knee strike at them or a good low kick, an elbow or even a normal punch and uppercut to the torso can be enough to make them want to back up. Another important thing I still sometimes struggle with is keeping my eyes wide open, sometimes when I get hit or something gets very close to hitting me, I unintentionally shut my eyes or squint my eyes. This makes it nearly impossible to properly defend yourself if you are limiting your own vision.

What I been doing to combat this is to just let people hit me, telling them to hit me, I must accept that I will be getting hit and getting hit alot. That is just simply part of martial arts, and it is a very hard thing to break because it is a natural reaction ingrained into us as humans.

By getting hit I learn that it isn't so bad as my mind makes it out to be. I become more able to defend myself because I have far less fear of it. All these methods I do which are Iron shirt and getting hit in the face make my mind not fear it because I become so used to it. Making it much easier to actually fight back when stuff gets very heated.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The same amount of force on anywhere on your body won't elicit the same amount of pain. Blocking a roundhouse kick with your forearm (shin bone on forearm bone) will hurt far less than shin bone on rib bones, and even less than shin bone on skull bones.

Blocking a roundhouse kick with the tip of the elbow when the attacker uses their instep hurts the kicker far more than the blocker. Trust me, I've kicked an elbow or two. By your logic, it would hurt both people equally.
we were talking about arm against arm

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure you can. This is the principle behind padding - it slows the drive by force down over a greater period of time and simultaneously disperses the energy.

Another real world example - throw a raw egg at a brick wall, then throw another one at a sheet hanging on a clothesline. The sheet on the clothesline will slow down the impact.
the sheet doesn't slow the impact, impact happens when it very first touches the sheet. The sheet then slows the velocity.
impact is an event, like Christmas, you cant,slow,xmas

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the sheet doesn't slow the impact, impact happens when it very first touches the sheet. The sheet then slows the velocity.
Tell me more, Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's because the brick wall is a lot harder than the sheet on the clothesline...

If your principle is true, then if you threw an egg at a sheet hanging stretched completely vertically, it would react differently to a sheet that is hanging loosely.
"Harder" = shorter period of deceleration (negative acceleration) = shorter period of impact

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What happened? I figure it would get crushed by the pressure (although eggs are deceptively strong), or maybe kind of explode?

Not at all. The pressure of the water at that depth actually keeps the egg white and yolk together in a single unit without the need for the shell. I used to do this with my scuba students on deep dives and we'd crack the egg open and then play ping-pong with the egg white and yoke.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not at all. The pressure of the water at that depth actually keeps the egg white and yolk together in a single unit without the need for the shell. I used to do this with my scuba students on deep dives and we'd crack the egg open and then play ping-pong with the egg white and yoke.
How did I not see that happening? Makes total sense.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

ok but...the sheet was stationary. if i use a soft block my arm is in motion, in the same direction as your strike. the force of impact is less because the two object are traveling in the same direction. allowing the force to be dissipated over a longer time. my blocking arm will also divert and redirect the direction of your force, elongating the travel distance/ thus the time of travel and your attacking force will be dissipated even more due to the range of motion limitation of your body.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok but...the sheet was stationary. if i use a soft block my arm is in motion, in the same direction as your strike. the force of impact is less because the two object are traveling in the same direction. allowing the force to be dissipated over a longer time. my blocking arm will also divert and redirect the direction of your force, elongating the travel distance/ thus the time of travel and your attacking force will be dissipated even more due to the range of motion limitation of your body.
every thing turn in to a physics lesson on here. The force you experience is the weight of your arm x the acceleration it goes through on contact( or if you locked it in place the,deceleration of your opponents' arm) if you are moving your arm away it,accelerates less on contact, that reduces the force experienced. That nothing to do with time of contact. The force is transmitted in ms

but your arm isn't a fixed weight, you can make it effectivly heaver by using your muscles to resist the movement or lighter by relaxing it.
so in you sort block, its not a case of,dispersing the force. Your " light" arm and the direction of travel means the force created was far less in the first place

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
every thing turn in to a physics lesson on here.
but that makes it fun doesnt it.
its not a case of,dispersing the force.
ah but i think it is, because the target (intended impact point) of the attacking punch was my face not my arm. my block makes contact with the attacking arm on a vector that is different than the original trajectory of the punch. with a circular arm action and a rotation of the body, i can bleed out all of the force in the punch because there is a limit on the trajectory distance. your example is based on Newtons first law, "a body in motion, stays in motion".
but your punch cannot stay in motion. the distance is limited and as its reaches the end of its travel distance the energy/force goes to zero as the arm needs to retract. in essence the "impact point" is never reached.
this is why time and velocity is important.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exept using physics to explain why something that works doesn't. Is kind of silly physics.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure you can. This is the principle behind padding - it slows the drive by force down over a greater period of time and simultaneously disperses the energy.
I think padding primarily disperses the energy by spreading it over a greater surface area, rather than slowing it down.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think padding primarily disperses the energy by spreading it over a greater surface area, rather than slowing it down.
According to my Biomechanics and physics professors and the textbooks we used in both classes, it does both. There was a mathematical formula for calculating it. I graduated in 2001, so maybe the laws of physics have changed since :)

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
According to my Biomechanics and physics professors and the textbooks we used in both classes, it does both. There was a mathematical formula for calculating it. I graduated in 2001, so maybe the laws of physics have changed since :)
Well, the Professor knows more than I do that's for sure, which is why I started with "I think", and not "I know", just to cover my **** :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, the Professor knows more than I do that's for sure, which is why I started with "I think", and not "I know", just to cover my **** :)
Sorry if I came off as rude. Wasn't my intention.

Think of it slowing you down this way...

When you run into a brick wall, you go from 100-0 instantly. When you jump onto a big mat (like a high jump mat), you go from 100-0 in a few seconds (exaggerated, but you get what I mean). It slows you down over a longer period of time, thereby making the impact less severe. The energy is easier dispersed through the mat vs the brick wall. Different mats slow you down at different rates, but they all slow you down. Same concept as my egg against a sheet discussion previously.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry if I came off as rude. Wasn't my intention.

Think of it slowing you down this way...

When you run into a brick wall, you go from 100-0 instantly. When you jump onto a big mat (like a high jump mat), you go from 100-0 in a few seconds (exaggerated, but you get what I mean). It slows you down over a longer period of time, thereby making the impact less severe. The energy is easier dispersed through the mat vs the brick wall. Different mats slow you down at different rates, but they all slow you down. Same concept as my egg against a sheet discussion previously.
No, you didnt come accross that way, don't worry.

Appreciate the explanation :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I temporarily took you off ignore. I see now that was a mistake. Back you go.

To each his own. I have never blocked anyone, but I have often read some people's posts, and ignored them, as I am here. I doubt I would ever block jobo. My job is often stressful. Taking a break and coming across his posts very often lightens my day, like this thread.

Latest Discussions