The best block?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to my Biomechanics and physics professors and the textbooks we used in both classes, it does both. There was a mathematical formula for calculating it. I graduated in 2001, so maybe the laws of physics have changed since :)
yes people are mixing up formulas again, the padding takes energy to compress it and that energy is then absorbed through the padding and and therefore as the foot/ now has less energy its moving more slowly

or the other way round it slows the projectile by dissipating its energy in to the padding, they are the same thing

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
This thread has been an interesting read in many ways. From a Hapkido standpoint, we rarely try to block force with force. Rather, we tend to deflect or move to the side so as to strike or grab, or throw, or a combination of a couple of those things, without being struck.

But I do remember a Moo Duk Kwan teacher once while we were sparring, stepped just far enough to reach forward and grab my forward wrist with an over the wrist from the outside of the wrist, claw grab, against the heel of my hand. He pulled me forward at the same time, unbalancing me, and striking at my face with his opposite hand. Beautiful! And it is easier to do than describe.

Probably some of you have that in your tool box with a more descriptive name.

Latest Discussions