The difference between boxing punch and CMA punch

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In "training", the difference between boxing punch and CMA punch are:

1. In

- boxing punch, when you punch out your right fist, your left fist are resting - not doing anything.
- CMA punch, when you punch out your right fist, you pull back your left fist at the same time. Your right arm and left arm coordinate as one unit.

2. In

- boxing punch, your right straight punch and left straight punch may not hit on the same spot.
- CMA punch, your right straight punch and left straight punch will always hit on the exactly same spot.

3. In

- boxing punch, your straight punch will go through a straight line.
- CMA punch, when you do a straight punch, your fist, elbow, and arm are twisting from the beginning all the way till the end.

What's your opinion on this?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

1. In

- boxing punch, when you punch out your right fist, your left fist are resting - not doing anything.
- CMA punch, when you punch out your right fist, you pull back your left fist at the same time. Your right arm and left arm coordinate as one unit.

2. In

- boxing punch, your right straight punch and left straight punch may not hit on the same spot.
- CMA punch, your right straight punch and left straight punch will always hit on the exactly same spot.

3. In

- CMA punch, when you do a straight punch, your fist, elbow, and arm are twisting from the beginning all the way till the end.

well yes, if your boxing/ fighting on your own, in a fluid fight you have to punch from where ever you hand ended up after the last move, you cant block with your left and retract it in sequence to your right
the boxers high guard mean they have to punch from their head height, you have to spin your arms if your punching from under your arm pits or your punch will be upside down and won't include the delts properly in the movement robbing you of power. The boxer all ready has his hands the right way round so no need to spin them.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

1. In

2. In

3. In

Like. But not sure about the 3rd point.
For me, the main difference is boxing favours power and CMA favours balance. What is our opinion on this? :)

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like. But not sure about the 3rd point.
For me, the main difference is boxing favours power and CMA favours balance. What is our opinion on this? :)
CMA also emphasizes on power generation. That's why the

- punch out one arm while pull back with another arm, and
- twist your punching arm,

are for. Whether you will have the luxury to twist in fighting, that's different issue.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the main difference between a boxer's punch and a CMA's punch is that CMAs have some crazy looking punches.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
CMA also emphasizes on power generation. That's why the

- punch out one arm while pull back with another arm. and
- twisting your punching arm,

are for. Whether you will have the luxury to twist in fighting, that's different issue.
well as above, the twist is for power, but the powers comes from having your fist the right way up. Punching knuckles down doesnt involve sufficient muscles. Try it and see

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. In

2. In

3. In

The boxing Jab punch is a 1-arm technique (still uses the body and legs though), the way it was taught to me, but the hook and cross punches are counter-rotating, just like the martial arts style punches I learned.

I don't understand what you meant by hitting the same point, straight punches from either hand can hit the same spots, the exceptions would be hooks and uppercuts, where the action of the punch means yu can hit other target points.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The boxing Jab punch is a 1-arm technique (still uses the body and legs though), the way it was taught to me, but the hook and cross punches are counter-rotating, just like the martial arts style punches I learned.

I don't understand what you meant by hitting the same point, straight punches from either hand can hit the same spots, the exceptions would be hooks and uppercuts, where the action of the punch means yu can hit other target points.
I think he means you aim for the centre line with cma

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand that. You can aim for the centerline with boxing punches, too. Forehead, nose, chin, sternum, solar plexus, belly.... and if you happen to be a non-fair guy/gal, groin. All centerline and all targetable by either way, I think.

I would say that CMA punches can also hit off-center targets just fine, i.e. the eyes, temples, corner of jaw, lateral neck, armpits, ribs, etc.

Which is why I am a bit confused by that bit.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are many CMA, and they do not all punch in the same way.

Generalizations like this will get you more exceptions than adherents to the rule.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are many CMA, and they do not all punch in the same way.

Generalizations like this will get you more exceptions than adherents to the rule.
Boxing has, jabs, thrust punches, reverse punch, uppercuts, crosses, and hooks. CMAs have that plus circular punches that hit with different parts of the knuckle, upward punches, back hands, and single knuckle punches, leopard punches. and double punches. I think I got most of the general ones that can be found in CMAs. Within each of those groups there will be different ways to doing the punch.

In boxing. I can pretty much count on certain punches from the boxer. With a kung fu practitioner, I have no idea what's coming out or how that punch is going to travel.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't understand what you meant by hitting the same point,
Again, we are talking about training. In solo training or heavy bag training, when I throw 60 straight punches, I want to be sure that all these 60 punches are hitting on the same spot.

hit_same_spot.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again, we are talking about training. In solo training or heavy bag training, when I throw 60 straight punches, I want to be sure that all these 60 punches are hitting on the same spot.

hit_same_spot.jpg
why, what benefit does all your punches hitting the same spot on the bag give you?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
why, what benefit does all your punches hitting the same spot on the bag give you?
IMO, you can train your eye's focus and accuracy. To be able to hit right on your opponent's nose can be different from hitting on his face.

I had sparred with a big guy before. With gloves on, I had to hit him on the same spot multiple times to stop his forward momentum.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is more than one way to throw a punch in boxing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO, you can train your eye's focus and accuracy. To be able to hit right on your opponent's nose can be different from hitting on his face.

I had sparred with a big guy before. With gloves on, I had to hit him on the same spot multiple times to stop his forward momentum.
if you can hit the same spot repeatedly, leys say 10 times, there is no extra benefit from hitting it another 50 times. Your not going to punch someone on the nose 60 times in quick succession are you.

why not have five targets at different heights that you hit one after another. Thats a lot more difficult and usefull

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, they use center line, which is a way of moving, not targeting. While I am at it, Boxing is designed in such a way the you can only use center line, in rare circumstances.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if you can hit the same spot repeatedly, leys say 10 times, there is no extra benefit from hitting it another 50 times. Your not going to punch someone on the nose 60 times in quick succession are you.

why not have five targets at different heights that you hit one after another. Thats a lot more difficult and usefull
When you shoot, it's much harder (or impossible) to shoot all your bullets into the same bullet hole than to shot wherever you want to. It's a CMA training method that may not be used in boxing.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To answer the question in the OP, I don't find that the three generalizations apply very well to the CMA I train:

1. We typically do withdraw one punch as ew deliver the next, but unlike many martial arts, we don't withdraw with force in order to add power to the punch. The punch is Yang and the withdrawing hand is Yin ....so our opponent cannot easily "ride" the withdrawing energy back into us.

2. In training on the "wall-bag", we often hit the same precise point repeatedly hundreds of times in a row. We also use a three-section wall-bag and vary the level of our strikes. Personally, I think pad work with a moving partner and heavy-bag work are also very valuable training methods unless you plan to spar with a partner that stands sill as a post.

3. Our primary CMA punch uses a vertical fist with the elbow pointing down, so there is no corkscrew twisting of the fist involved.

Also, I would disagree with your statement #1 in the OP that a boxer's non-punching arm is just resting and not doing anything. Typically it is guarding, and the shoulders are rotating adding body torque to the punch, often more effectively than the push-pull method seen in many Asian martial arts. Especially if the push-pull method doesn't also involve torso rotation (in my CMA the body does rotate).

FYI -- two and three-sectioned wall bags as used in the CMA I train:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/819uuxXROmL._SY355_.jpg

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you shoot, it's much harder (or impossible) to shoot all your bullets into the same bullet hole than to shot wherever you want to. It's a CMA training method that may not be used in boxing.
it pointless shooting someone in the same hole 60 times as well . Is this yet another of those dogmatic kung fu things that actually make no sense at all when it come to fighting someone. Like deep horse stance

Latest Discussions