Tatoos

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who of you have a martial art tatoo? I want one but don't know in what part of my body, maybe a dragon or maybe a tiger, something nice and discret.
Something you can talk about it here?

Manny

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My sabumnim looks down upon tattoos, no of their business though. I have a phoenix on my back. I also want to get one as well, I was thinking on my foot. That way when I kick you can see it coming:) Any suggestions.

derobec

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My sabumnim looks down upon tattoos, no of their business though.

Hi,

I've never personally wanted a tattoo myself but I'm with you 100% that it's no ones business but your own. Got to say that I have a sneaking respect for the idea of a tattoo on your foot -nothing like taking a stand.

Hope you let us know what you decide on.

Best Wishes,
William

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tatoos are low class, if you are going to disfigure your body, man up and get a brand.

Seriously? LOL Saying things like that shows how low class you are and how little respect you hold for your fellow human beings. Tattoos have a rich history that I am sure they didn't teach in your bible school. Buzz off.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dragons and tigers are nice looking but sooooo predictable for a martial artist.

How about something that has a deep personal meaning for you? It would be a good ice breaker to explain your ink to somebody where the meaning isn't obvious.

I never got a tattoo, but if I did I would probably get a butterfly or dragonfly, because they symbolize rebirth; or the chapter and verse of my one of my favorite scriptures.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seriously? LOL Saying things like that shows how low class you are and how little respect you hold for your fellow human beings. Tattoos have a rich history that I am sure they didn't teach in your bible school. Buzz off.

Easy now!

I do appreciate the artwork but - for most of us - it is not mainstream culture (yet).
It does have a long tradition and history, but in the Western hemisphere much of it is rooted in the not so upper crust of society.

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Never wanted a tattoo, really for the life of me I can’t understand why anyone would want one in the first place. But, my lack of understanding shouldn’t prevent someone for doing what they want or me thinking less of them because they did it. Now if I were to get a tattoo it would probably be ‘Exit Only” across by butt. My thing is if you are going to get one it might as well be practical.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Had to laugh... do you have PROBLEMS with someone not knowing that its an exit?!!!! Otherwise it wouldn't be "practical" would it?!!!

Seriously though... If you are going to get a tattoo make it something meaningful in from your life experiences... and something you are going to be proud of when you get older. I have two, but I didnt get my first one till I turned 40 so I had plenty of time to make sure it was what I wanted.
The other thing is dont just go to any old tattoo parlor and have one done. Shop around, look at artwork and find an "artist" that does excellent work. Once its done you cant redo it!

Never wanted a tattoo, really for the life of me I can’t understand why anyone would want one in the first place. But, my lack of understanding shouldn’t prevent someone for doing what they want or me thinking less of them because they did it. Now if I were to get a tattoo it would probably be ‘Exit Only” across by butt. My thing is if you are going to get one it might as well be practical.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
seriously though...

I like tatoos. just not Mike Tysons.

I always wanted one something like the Yakuza''s... a General Kwan look-a-like with a Dragon around him. the dragons tail would start at my right foot, wrap around and up my leg, with the neck coming over my left shoulder and the head on the left section of my chest. A few "blue demons" hidden in the mix....

would take a very long time to do though.... and be $$$$

If only they could find a way to do it WITHOUT the needle!!!!!!!!!!!:erg:

So for now, I'll have to stick with DEE on the left cheek... and Licious on the right :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
LOL.

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Easy now!

I do appreciate the artwork but - for most of us - it is not mainstream culture (yet).
It does have a long tradition and history, but in the Western hemisphere much of it is rooted in the not so upper crust of society.

Nothing to be “easy” about when being called low class by someone who doesn’t even know me. I appreciate your opinion, but it is just that, your opinion of where tattoos are rooted.
I know many hillbillies get them:), but in all seriousness, I think the amount of people that receive tattoos range all socioeconomic statuses. IMO because I choose a symbol to represent something important in my life and have it placed on my body actually says that I am very well put together as a person. Most people could not pick a word to describe how they feel much less a symbol. If we keep referring to people who have tattoos as trash and so on it can never be mainstream. I do not want a flame match started. The original poster did not ask whether the group approved of tattoos, he was asking what he might get. So if you do not approve…why stick around reading this? Can we get back to the original question now?

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Had to laugh... do you have PROBLEMS with someone not knowing that its an exit?!!!! Otherwise it wouldn't be "practical" would it?!!!

Seriously though... If you are going to get a tattoo make it something meaningful in from your life experiences... and something you are going to be proud of when you get older. I have two, but I didnt get my first one till I turned 40 so I had plenty of time to make sure it was what I wanted.
The other thing is dont just go to any old tattoo parlor and have one done. Shop around, look at artwork and find an "artist" that does excellent work. Once its done you cant redo it!

Very true:) Has to be important to you!

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never had one and never will. I like being an individual, which means not following the current trend of getting tatoos, piercings, etc. A lot is made of getting a tatoo in order to show your individuality, but countless people do the same thing, at least where I am. I never really got following the crowd in order to show my uniqueness.

Pax,

Chris

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nothing to be “easy” about when being called low class by someone who doesn’t even know me. I appreciate your opinion, but it is just that, your opinion of where tattoos are rooted.
I know many hillbillies get them:), but in all seriousness, I think the amount of people that receive tattoos range all socioeconomic statuses. IMO because I choose a symbol to represent something important in my life and have it placed on my body actually says that I am very well put together as a person. Most people could not pick a word to describe how they feel much less a symbol. If we keep referring to people who have tattoos as trash and so on it can never be mainstream. I do not want a flame match started. The original poster did not ask whether the group approved of tattoos, he was asking what he might get. So if you do not approve…why stick around reading this? Can we get back to the original question now?

Now you are knocking Hillbillies, too?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To each his own but I would pass on the Tattoo...Almost everyone that I know regrets TAT's at some point.

Just my opinion!! Not a judgement!!!

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tattoos? yeah, a ying yang and hangul writing. I like it so it's all on me and it's what matters to me irrespective of what others may feel. Go figure I must be a Korean martial arts practitioner... :idunno:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I realize we are westerners for the most part, but it's true enough that the mainstream segments of many Asian cultures look down on tattoos and the people who get them. I know my parents did.

This article seems to suggest the same idea.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/south-korea/090717/tattoos-underground

SEOUL — Wandering Seoul's streets in hopes of finding a tattoo parlor, even in the hippest neighborhood known to shelter hundreds of tattoo artists, is mostly a waste of time. You need to know the “proper” steps: first you run a search on the web, then you hook up with a tattooist who will guide you to a nondescript space, and finally you sit down for the illegal procedure.

Sitting in an underground tattoo parlor with his arms folded across his chest, 37-year-old tattooist Kang Un explains why things are so. There are no laws specifically about tattooing in South Korea, but medical laws state that only doctors can practice the act of penetrating someone’s skin with a needle.

In other words, to be a tattooist in Korea, you must hold a doctor’s license.

Tattoos have long been considered in the country a mark of violence, membership to a gang, or at the least, defiance of mainstream culture. There wasn’t much demand for a long time and getting a tattoo at an illegal parlor somehow suited the rebellious nature of it.

However, in recent years, many South Koreans have started to embrace tattoos as a work of art and a fashion statement. Tattooists are starting to call for regulation and legalization of the industry, but for now, most parlors remain illegal.

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
FFF has 4 tattoo's himself. (none you can see unless I am naked) :lol:

My wife has 12 tattoos!! (a couple of dragons, tribal stuff, daughter's names, chinese symbols, etc etc etc) :mst: (must be the polynesian in her...that is the true home of the tattoo).

And tuesday is our 17th anniversary, And guess what she wants?

........... A tattoo gun of course, so she can do her own LOL

btw, I am not kidding here.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
FFF has 4 tattoo's himself. (none you can see unless I am naked) :lol:

My wife has 12 tattoos!! (a couple of dragons, tribal stuff, daughter's names, chinese symbols, etc etc etc) :mst: (must be the polynesian in her...that is the true home of the tattoo).

And tuesday is our 17th anniversary, And guess what she wants?

........... A tattoo gun of course, so she can do her own LOL

btw, I am not kidding here.

Well, you know who will get the tats...
:lfao:

Latest Discussions