Tatoos

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Associated Press recently had an article, Parents deal with tattoo trend.

• 22 percent of women and 26 percent of men said they had tattoos in a 2004 survey published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology.

• The numbers are higher among young adults: Tattoos were reported by 36 percent of 18- to 25-year-olds and 40 percent of 26- to 40-year-olds in a Pew Research Center survey from 2006.

• But among 41- to 65-year-olds — the demographic most likely to have teenage children — only 10 percent reported having tattoos.

I don't have any tattoos, but I don't believe for a moment that this many folks have tattoos because they have mental health issues or are otherwise from a scruffy side of society.

Dunno, lot's of lose screws in people these days. Much of it is not so much 'mental health' as a matter of filling a void.

Let's face it, we, as a whole are pretty screwed up ;)

(was at a wedding 2 weeks ago, a couple of the ladies had small tattoos, non of them seedy, trashy - at least not so that you could tell by looking at them ;) ) or otherwise not there, but they were not Maori either.

Why are we even discussing this still (remind me to not hit reply again)

:lfao::lfao:

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fail. There several entire races of people that would be quite offended by that.
Use of the word "fail" instead of "failure" denotes failure on your part.

Tattooing and body modification are an expression of oneself and have been for thousands of years. Then again African tribeswoman 5,000 years ago were probably just trying to fit in with the local "cool" crowd by stretching their lips ;)
As was said, it is all about being dissatisfied with one's body image - for whatever reason - and mutilating the body to try to change it. The source reason, in and of itself, is really immaterial; it's nothing but a catalyst that starts the process.

Tattoos are an "expression of oneself" in the sense that they broadcast the body image dissatisfaction, nothing more.

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
was at a wedding 2 weeks ago, a couple of the ladies had small tattoos, non of them seedy, trashy - at least not so that you could tell by looking at them ;) ) or otherwise not there, but they were not Maori either.

They must have had bad self image. That or they were secretly biker junkie whores ;)

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
Use of the word "fail" instead of "failure" denotes failure on your part.

As was said, it is all about being dissatisfied with one's body image - for whatever reason - and mutilating the body to try to change it. The source reason, in and of itself, is really immaterial; it's nothing but a catalyst that starts the process.

Tattoos are an "expression of oneself" in the sense that they broadcast the body image dissatisfaction, nothing more.

You can intellectualize it all you want mate, your making overly general assumptions that just dont work. Suggesting that Maori warriors got Moko for no reason other than image dissatisfaction is arguably the most retarded thing ive read on any forum in some time. Maybe your ignorant, maybe your a troll or maybe your just culturally insensitive, either way I dont really have the energy to debate it with you to be honest.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful. Lets return to the OP subject matter..

Drac
MT Moderator

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have 2, my wife has 3. All hold particular meaning to us, and to me has some religious and personal significance. Have been debating what and when on the next one.

Tattooing through out history has meant different things for different cultures. So has cutting part of your penis off, piercing something, or lopping something off. Personally, I don;t really care if old folks in Japan don't like tats, or if some bushman in Africa sports dinner plates in his lips. It's interesting trivia, but ultimately not applicable.

Now, if anyone wants to think I'm a low life yakuza thug, hey, that'll just help my street cred I guess. LOL. But don't call the wolf over the crack of my wifes *** a 'tramp stamp'. She'll hurt you. Also, after she eats spicy food, the wolf tends to have bad breath. :rofl:

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
This tread has given me good points and want to share with you. Some guys like tatoos and some not and I respect everyone.

I come from a nice family no one that I know at least to my father and mother level has tatoos, they think as some of you do tatoos are for....mmmmmnn.... low people,bad people,etc,etc. Just one of my cousings (that I know) has one small tatto in her anckle.

Let me tell you thet truth. I wanted a tatoo just because they look cool, for example one of my MA budies, Daniel has a nice one on his upper arm, it looks cool. So call it fashion I like the tatoos cause they are fashion, and yes I wanted a small one.

However... I grew up with some kind of priciples, and I am a father and role model of two lovely girls and don't wana see my girls in a future with tatoos just because dady got one or two or five and if dady can why I can not?, and I relly would not like to see inside my dojang a man wearing an ear ring, or two, or a nasty and messy pony tail or with piercings or tatoos.

I remeber one night when a new student came wearing a a long and slender plait/braid and believe me this kid looked like some kind of punk, the sambonim in a polite way but strongly told the student to leave the dojang and return with a decent hair cut and if not he could pass next day for the monlty payment he did to enrole the dojang. I feel the sambonim did right.

So basically I want a tatoo for the cool thing but as some of you advises me I will take my time and think about it cause a tatoo is for life and if I am not sure it's better to leave it alone.

Thanx for all the replies.

Manny

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The guy who is quoting psychologists is either misquoting them or is just blowing some personal smoke. Do a search on the web about psychologists reasons for tattoos and you will come up with all kinds of stuff... for instance: http://www.tattooology.com/psychology-and-tattoos.html gives a very good overall tattoo evaluation.
And yes... I have two!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...Tattoos are an "expression of oneself" in the sense that they broadcast the body image dissatisfaction, nothing more.
I do not have any tattoos and have to disagree with this statement. Never once did I even think about getting a tattoo, however once my kids were born I have to admit that I thought about it. I thought about getting each kids name placed somewhere on my body, having each place that a name was placed have a different meaning. I think that it would show "express" how much they meant to me. I never did it but I still think it would be a cool homage to them.

You reasoning is flawed because you cannot think for another person. What has meaning to you may have none for someone else and the reverse is also true. This is why hearsay is not admissible in court. And your statement is nothing more than hearsay.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But don't call the wolf over the crack of my wifes *** a 'tramp stamp'. She'll hurt you. Also, after she eats spicy food, the wolf tends to have bad breath. :rofl:

I thought it was called a "backdoor bullseye"?

Maybe she should have gotten a dragon. A fire breathing dragon...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Dragon's on her arm, Chinese though, not European.

I've seen people tattoo their kids birthdates, likenesses of now-departed family, and religious iconitry with deep meaning....hard to see these as the actions of low-class types. I know one guy who gets a color bar added each time he bumps in rank. To him, training is important and personal. I've also seen active duty military get "meat tags" so that their body parts can be recognized in event of dismemberment. Gruesome yes, but important to them.

Any decision to do any type of body mod should be carefully thought about, carefully researched and thought about some more. The artist should be researched, their inspection reports checked, etc.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

In the UK they are called " **** Antlers"...LOL

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:28

On the other hand, tatoos are part of my cultural heritage....but so far, I've only had the same one for about 30 years, now. There's talk of another, but....

Attachments

• $Tatoo 002.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 141

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Probably the BEST advice I could give to anyone thinking about getting some ink, is to go to a local magazine shop and search out the tattoo mags. You will be surprized at how many there are. Pick up a few (they can run 5 to 6 bucks apiece) and check out the art work, articles and listings of shops and artists close to you.

I saw a sign at the first shop I visited for mine.

" The Tattoos Are Free, You Are Paying For The Pain "

Attachments

• $16042057_l.gif
    98.3 KB · Views: 116

Latest Discussions