Taoist Tai Chi Society anyone?

PHElwood

White Belt
Reaction score
I trust the reference to a "James Bond villain's fortress" is not about the traditional Chinese temple which seems quite authentic and looks very much like the one pictured at the top of this webpage.

PHElwood

White Belt
Reaction score
The bills have to be paid, I have said this before.... How can an organization run with out donations and that is just what it is, a tax deductable donation. Those who can pay, do pay, those who can't, either pay a lot less or not at all. The workshops which are great are great ways to raise money and there are plenty times when donations are waived for those that can't afford them. Like a yearly event called Continuing Instructor in Training week (CIT week) that does cost money to go but people get waivers all the time due to their financial situation or pay over time.

Gotta pay the bills and I will always defend that. What school doesn't have bills to pay?

edit-- The instructors pay the same dues as everyone else too....

Yes, and IMHO (as a club administrator) the "membership dues" system is actually the best way to manage a local club where you have monthly expenses to cover, regardless of class attendance. I saw someone in a previous post object to the idea of having to pay whether you attend classes or not, but landlords require the rent each month regardless of whether the facilities are used or not. And this is normal practice for most fitness clubs (and some martial arts clubs too, I'm sure) and the good part of this kind of "monthly dues" system is that you can attend as many classes as you want, which, in the case of an international organization, means you can attend classes in other towns and even other countries.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The objection is not to the fact that you have to pay for instruction but rather to the level and quality of instruction offered in return for that payment!!!!!

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The objection is not to the fact that you have to pay for instruction but rather to the level and quality of instruction offered in return for that payment!!!!!

Then there's the mention of "accredited" instructors in marketing materials. Accreditation is meaningless when an organization accredits its own instructors.

Lotus

White Belt
Reaction score
I've studied Chen for several years, though I'm no expert. I saw some people doing a demonstration of this Taoist Tai Chi at a local event, and they were all pretty bad at it, or else, if they are thought to be good at it, it bore little resemblance to any skilled tai chi that I've ever seen (and I've travelled in China, to some of the centres of the art). I can't imagine who their teacher was. It didn't seem to follow many of the principles that I've been taught.

They were advertising 'open house' events, where one could go and find out about it. Their website talks about chanting and other things which would make me consider it religious, and wonder if it is potentially cult-like. They all had identical t-shirts, too. NB I'm not saying that it is a cult - I don't have the personal experience of it to judge that.

I suppose that I naturally mistrust individuals who go out on a limb, and supposedly create their own style/form/whatever. There are so many, which might bear some resemblance to yoga, or Buddhism, and so many which don't really even vaguely belong under any umbrella. I tend to look for lineage.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I saw some people doing a demonstration of this Taoist Tai Chi at a local event, and they were all pretty bad at it, or else, if they are thought to be good at it, it bore little resemblance to any skilled tai chi that I've ever seen (and I've travelled in China, to some of the centres of the art).
Back in the seventies, the founder of the TTCS learned a few things and combined them to create this exercise. At some point, he may have intended to bring students (those who completed beginner training) back to Tai Chi principles, but he never did that, for whatever reason. He died in '98, if I recall. So, in my opinion, the set is frozen at the beginner stick-set level, but those who studied it for a long time attempted to add more stretch (or something) in order to advance beyond the stick-set. Most instructors are promoted way too early, some right out of beginner level (3-4 months).

It should not be compared to taijiquan. At its best, it's basically all-yin community center "tai chi", but with delusions of grandeur, especially at the higher admin levels.

(... but it should be said, that most of the grass-roots members are quite nice folks.)

Dee Based

White Belt
Reaction score
New member here. Realize this is an old thread. Was considering classes at the Taoist Tai Chi Society. After reading through this thread I looked up Master Moy doing the "Taoist Tai Chi" form on YouTube.

IMHO, it's clear he doesn't understand or practice some basic concepts of Tai Chi, like rooting and balance. He's also not using the bodies' momentum to power the motion during Withdraw & Push, but using the arms instead (incorrectly). Concepts like Sinking into the Kua (Lower Dan Tian) are fundamental to Tai Chi, for more reasons than just the combat applications.