Tang Soo Do and Frustration

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did we even get into this anyway? The minimum requirements are the minimum requirements in my school and that is what I am dealing with, regardless of which country it is from or what federation it is.

We 'got into this' because of your unfounded and incorrect statement that your local org sets the standards for all of TSD. Tez tried to correct you. You didn't want to be corrected. So I also tried to correct you.

Some people don't take correction well. We've got a young lady at our school who falls into that category. It's one of the reasons she's not testing this month.

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We 'got into this' because of your unfounded and incorrect statement that your local org sets the standards for all of TSD. Tez tried to correct you. You didn't want to be corrected. So I also tried to correct you.

Some people don't take correction well. We've got a young lady at our school who falls into that category. It's one of the reasons she's not testing this month.

I think there was a huge difference in your "correction" and Tez's, but whatever, her posts mean little to me. I don't have a problem being "corrected", even though no one should be "correcting" anyone here if there aren't any egos present, but I do have a problem the way some people act and speak to me and I do not hesitate to fire back. And that is all I want to speak on about that.

Anyway, I didn't say that my local org sets the standards of ALL of TSD (whatever that means) but it is the Tang Soo Do minimum ranking requirements for my school and federation. What would it matter what the requirements were in other places of the world or other federations? It is a moot point and takes this dicussion completely off topic.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no particular knowledge or concern about the standard promotion times in TSD, but I'm starting to think that Kaygee really wouldn't have liked the approach to belt promotions in BJJ.

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have no particular knowledge or concern about the standard promotion times in TSD, but I'm starting to think that Kaygee really wouldn't have liked the approach to belt promotions in BJJ.

That is an unfair assumption. I do not know all of the information about the ranking system, but I know that it takes a long, long, long, long, long, long, long time to achieve any sort of belt ranking in BJJ.
If I joined up knowing that, then I would have been fine with it. Is this going to turn into a "let's bash Kaygee with everything we got" thread? Even with unfair assumptions on an art that I was not even referring to? I said two pages ago that you just have to let this thread die, and as it does, so will my presence on these boards.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is standard TSD grading.

This statement is incorrect. When people make factually incorrect statements, they're often corrected. This is not a matter of ego. Ego, I think, is one thing that keeps people from being corrected, and certainly one of the things that keeps people from advancing in their training.

I think there was a huge difference in your "correction" and Tez's, but whatever, her posts mean little to me.

That's unfortunate, given her seniority to you in your chosen style. It's entirely possible that, having held Dan rank in TSD for so long, she might know more than you about the subject.

I don't have a problem being "corrected", even though no one should be "correcting" anyone here if there aren't any egos present, but I do have a problem the way some people act and speak to me and I do not hesitate to fire back. And that is all I want to speak on about that.

There is nothing wrong with ego. Ego makes up a fundamental and vital part of the human psyche. Problems with ego do arise, of course, when the ego prevents us from being open to learning.

Anyway, I didn't say that my local org sets the standards of ALL of TSD (whatever that means)

This statement would seem to directly contradict the first quote above.

but it is the Tang Soo Do minimum ranking requirements for my school and federation.

Perhaps you should have said this in the first place? It's important for what we say to be clear, don't you think?

What would it matter what the requirements were in other places of the world or other federations? It is a moot point and takes this dicussion completely off topic.

Well, if you'd like to restrict the conversation strictly to the microcosm of your own school, feel free. I doubt you'll get much feedback, of course, since none of us are part of that particular school.

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wish I cared enough to multiquote all of that as you so neatly did. Very organized and neat!
Some correct, in my opinion, some waaaaaay off!! But it doesn't matter.
Good luck!

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Feel free to continue to send the rep subtractions my way. I am sure it'll make you feel better about yourself!!! :bangahead:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks... Let's turn down the flames a little bit, OK? I swear I saw something around here about friendly discussion...

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is an unfair assumption. I do not know all of the information about the ranking system, but I know that it takes a long, long, long, long, long, long, long time to achieve any sort of belt ranking in BJJ.
If I joined up knowing that, then I would have been fine with it. Is this going to turn into a "let's bash Kaygee with everything we got" thread? Even with unfair assumptions on an art that I was not even referring to? I said two pages ago that you just have to let this thread die, and as it does, so will my presence on these boards.

I'm not bashing at all. It's perfectly okay to not prefer the BJJ belt system. Given that the majority of the martial art world does it differently from how we do it, it might be fair to say that most martial artists don't prefer the BJJ system.

My point was not just that it takes longer to get rank in BJJ. My point was that you seem to want a set timetable for promotions and that you seemed put out when your brother didn't get to test exactly on schedule or when someone else got to test ahead of schedule. In BJJ, you get promoted when your teacher feels you are ready for it and gets around to handing you the belt. There are no timetables and no schedules. (Depending on the school, there may or may not be any tests either.) I think it's safe to say this approach isn't for everyone.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish I cared enough to multiquote all of that as you so neatly did. Very organized and neat!
Some correct, in my opinion, some waaaaaay off!! But it doesn't matter.
Good luck!

There were some very good general observations about the underlying nature of study in the martial arts in what DD said. I can't comment on the TSD aspects of course as, to quote Manuel, "I know nothing" about that.

Putting your ego aside and learning what you are taught, even if you think you know better than those that teach you, is perhaps one of the most important steps to take. Something I have found over the past {mumbles a number} of decades in martial training is that whenever I have thought I knew better than my instructor, I was invariably wrong (sometimes took me a while to recognise it mind you, especially when I was younger :eek:).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There were some very good general observations about the underlying nature of study in the martial arts in what DD said. I can't comment on the TSD aspects of course as, to quote Manuel, "I know nothing" about that.

Putting your ego aside and learning what you are taught, even if you think you know better than those that teach you, is perhaps one of the most important steps to take. Something I have found over the past {mumbles a number} of decades in martial training is that whenever I have thought I knew better than my instructor, I was invariably wrong (sometimes took me a while to recognise it mind you, especially when I was younger :eek:).

Aren't you actually quoting Sgt Schultz?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not bashing at all. It's perfectly okay to not prefer the BJJ belt system. Given that the majority of the martial art world does it differently from how we do it, it might be fair to say that most martial artists don't prefer the BJJ system.

My point was not just that it takes longer to get rank in BJJ. My point was that you seem to want a set timetable for promotions and that you seemed put out when your brother didn't get to test exactly on schedule or when someone else got to test ahead of schedule. In BJJ, you get promoted when your teacher feels you are ready for it and gets around to handing you the belt. There are no timetables and no schedules. (Depending on the school, there may or may not be any tests either.) I think it's safe to say this approach isn't for everyone.
I agree 100% with Tony's comments above. A guy who started at the same time as me is now a black belt in BJJ. A couple of others are brown belts and will soon be black belts. I'm still a purple belt. I will likely be a purple belt for a long time. Were I concerned at all about timetables, I'd likely have lost hope and quit by now. Fortunately, I like where I'm at, because while I'm "just" a purple belt, I've seen hundreds and hundreds of people quit.

I don't have time, frankly, to read the entire OP but it seems that a lot of this is about promotions. My advice would be to forget about it and just enjoy yourself. Unless your belt rank carries a salary or some kind of monetary value, it's just not that big a deal.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Was actually about to suggest the same thing. The threads purpose has changed to 'insult Kaygee', which is making him annoyed and writing out worse responses, which is leading to more insulting, and its just turning into a cycle.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thread locked, pending staff review.

jks9199
Asst. Administrator

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Thread moved to The Great Debate.

Users are strongly reminded to keep things polite and respectful, and to stay within the Rules.

jks9199
MT Asst. Administrator

Latest Discussions