Tang Soo Do or Soo Bahk Do?

Do you train in Tang Soo Do or Soo Bahk Do or another Moo Duk Kwan?

• Tang Soo Do

• Soo Bahk Do

• Other Moo Duk Kwan?

Results are only viewable after voting.

triton

White Belt
Reaction score
With respect to GM Ivanhoe Kim as I understand it Soo Bahk Do has only on GrandMaster and that is the son of the Founder of the Moo Duk Kwan H C Hwang.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In his first book on Tang Soo Do, Hwang Kee discusses the origin of the name. He preferred Soo Bahk Do which derived from his studies of ancient Korean martial arts writings. He was quite specific that he did not "invent" Tang Soo Do. He did originate the Moo Duk Kwan school. His first school style was Hwa Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan and he relates that it did not attract many students. After discussion with other practitioners of his day, he changed the name of his school to Tang Soo Do and began to see the school flourish. I do not understand the nuances of Korean that may have been a factor but I have always suspected the name change was the result of perceptions of the two names that may not translate and Tang Soo Do being more recognizable at the time. In addition to adding kicks and techniques from Chinese style training that he learned while working in Manchuria for several years; he extensively studied books on Okinawan styles during the Japanese occupation of Korea. His academic interest in the early Korean styles ultimately led him to translate sections of the original text of Moo Yei Do Bo Tong Ji (approx. 800 yr old scroll) and to publish the scroll in its entirety in his book as a recource for other scholars. He adopted midnight blue as the Dan belt color in his system and refused 10th Dan as he felt perfection was unattainable. As the founder of the Moo Duk Kwan school of Tang So Do he deserves to stand with a handful of Grand Masters who had actively perpetuated Korean styles of martial arts in the early 20th century.
Respectfully
Dennis Breene

Last edited:

Black/Red Block

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kwang UK Lee is considered as THE Grand Master of the school I was with. I'm not too concerned as Politics is too much in martial arts as it is.
I hate the protocol of who will "recognise" who's Dan grade and which organisation do you train with etc.

I did 4 years of TSD and loved every bit of it. but the Politics (Aswell as being asked to Pay £10,000.00 for an Instructor training course which would only be acknowledges within THAT organisation) and the no application of the Hyungs made me leave for a Japanese style