Taekwondo: Out of the Olympic Games after Brazil 2016?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
when did he go wtf? The club he learnt tkd at is a great club, but they are independent.

Many independent Taekwondoin compete in the WTF. No one "goes" WTF, it is a public (not a private) tournament circuit. As for Mr. Vick, obviously he has some skill, obviously the guys he's fighting, do not. So, nothing impressive about the video at all, unless one likes to see a very unskilled persons getting the heck beat out of them by a marginally skilled person. Do you have any of his elite level matches?

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
As for Mr. Vick, obviously he has some skill, obviously the guys he's fighting, do not. So, nothing impressive about the video at all, unless one likes to see a very unskilled persons getting the heck beat out of them by a marginally skilled person.

To be fair, a highly skilled fighter can make other fighters look like amateurs. I can't remember who the boxer was--I think Roy Jones Jr.--who said about his opponents, "They weren't nobodies . . . I just made them look like nobodies." You could be right about Vick's competition in that vid, but a lot of people would probably say the same about Forrest Griffin after he got dominated by Anderson Silva.

Also, Vick's kickboxing career should be more than enough to show you that he has more than "some skill." He was, in fact, quite skilled and won many titles and championships both in kickboxing and TKD.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To be fair, a highly skilled fighter can make other fighters look like amateurs. I can't remember who the boxer was--I think Roy Jones Jr.--who said about his opponents, "They weren't nobodies . . . I just made them look like nobodies." You could be right about Vick's competition in that vid, but a lot of people would probably say the same about Forrest Griffin after he got dominated by Anderson Silva.

Also, Vick's kickboxing career should be more than enough to show you that he has more than "some skill." He was, in fact, quite skilled and won many titles and championships both in kickboxing and TKD.

For decades I have watched more elite world level fights, ringside, at the edge of the mat to know, those people vick was fighting were unskilled. He was not shutting down "elite" fighters, he was being brutal against untrained, unskilled and unseasoned people. In addition to being unimpressive, it is ethically wrong, and shameful if you ask me. On his part, and especially his coach. I would never tolerate an elite fighter on my team, realizing he WAY outclassed his opponent, to go in for the knockout like that. It's a 100% disgrace.

Show me video where he is fighting other elite fighters, not some backyard local school kids, or were those he so-called famous title fights?

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
For decades I have watched more elite world level fights, ringside, at the edge of the mat to know, those people vick was fighting were unskilled. He was not shutting down "elite" fighters, he was being brutal against untrained, unskilled and unseasoned people. In addition to being unimpressive, it is ethically wrong, and shameful if you ask me. One his part, and especially his coach. I would never tolerate an elite fighter on my team, realizing he WAY outclassed his opponent, to go in for the knockout like that. It's a 100% disgrace.

Wow. Such strong emotions. In TKD, isn't the system such that only similarly ranked competitors should be going against each other? I mean, you're not going to have a black belt fighting a white belt. Also, do you usually know the skill level of whoever you're competing against? Seems to me that the goal is to win, by KO if possible, and that's what he did.

Show me video where he is fighting other elite fighters, not some backyard local school kids, or were those he so-called famous title fights?

I can't find a lot of TKD footage of his, but here's a good kickboxing bout:

And hey, here's a close-fought back and forth loss. . .

Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you need to learn to show a little respect

he fought that silly little wtf game, and dominated it

he went to PROFESSIONAL fighting and again, dominated.

how many so called elite wtf kickboxers go pro? not many, cuz you aint gotta be very good to be the best the wtf has. you just gotta know how to fall over after you kick

pfft
he's a bad ***.

and i have NEVER said that about any wtf fighter

Steve “Superkick” Vick was fantastic fighter who transitioned from Taekwondo to American style Kickboxing in the early 90s. He won the national Taekwondo championship 5 times and then went onto win the ISKA World Title in 1994. After winning he retired and went into the world of business however his kicking technique is legendary.

and that was in an era where the technical skills were nowhere near as well developed as they are now.

Steve Superkick Vick successfully made the transition from Taekwondo to Kickboxing collecting the following titles along the way: 4 times State Taekwondo Champion, 5 times National Taekwondo Champion, State Kickboxing Champion, National Kickboxing Champion, South Pacific Kickboxing Champion, Commonwealth Kickboxing Champion (Welterweight & Super-Welterweight), Intercontinental Kickboxing Champion, World Kickboxing Champion. Steve retired from Kickboxing in 1994 after winning the super-welterweight world title.

yeah, no skill.

whatever
For decades I have watched more elite world level fights, ringside, at the edge of the mat to know, those people vick was fighting were unskilled. He was not shutting down "elite" fighters, he was being brutal against untrained, unskilled and unseasoned people. In addition to being unimpressive, it is ethically wrong, and shameful if you ask me. On his part, and especially his coach. I would never tolerate an elite fighter on my team, realizing he WAY outclassed his opponent, to go in for the knockout like that. It's a 100% disgrace.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. Such strong emotions. In TKD, isn't the system such that only similarly ranked competitors should be going against each other? I mean, you're not going to have a black belt fighting a white belt. Also, do you usually know the skill level of whoever you're competing against? Seems to me that the goal is to win, by KO if possible, and that's what he did.

I can't find a lot of TKD footage of his, but here's a good kickboxing bout:

And hey, here's a close-fought back and forth loss. . .

Your thoughts?

At least in these matches he is fighting guys who fight back, but still no where near elite fighters. But then again, neither is Mr. Vick. The only think I see here is Mr. Vicks and his opponents massive self agrandized egos on display, some kind of big time wrestling WWF kickboxing mix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i get it now, no wonder mastercole doesnt think vick is any good

vick never falls down......

thats a clear sign of failure in a WTF guy.........

/eyeroll

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
At least in these matches he is fighting guys who fight back, but still no where near elite fighters. But then again, neither is Mr. Vick. The only think I see here is Mr. Vicks and his opponents massive self agrandized egos on display, some kind of big time wrestling WWF kickboxing mix.

Dude, are you for real? Not elite fighters why? Because they aren't throwing 540 kicks?

Not only was Vick a TKD champ in Australia but he went on to capture a belt in the ISKA.

I have to agree with Twin Fist on this one, you really need to show some respect. Vick is a legend.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, are you for real? Not elite fighters why? Because they aren't throwing 540 kicks?

Not only was Vick a TKD champ in Australia but he went on to capture a belt in the ISKA.

I have to agree with Twin Fist on this one, you really need to show some respect. Vick is a legend.
You are dead right SPX. Steve vick wasnt elite? now Ive heard it all. Thats just laughable. My old instructor grew up and trained with the guy, and he saw steve kick many an "elite" fighters ***.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Maybe he is elite in ISKA and kickboxing, who cares, I thought he was a Taekwondo guy, what did he achieve in Taekwondo, nothing? This is the Taekwondo board, not the ISKA or kickboxing board, so, again, who cares, not me.

It's obvious to me he (and his coach) has twisted ethics, and no, I have no respect for that kind of thing. When one competes against an opponent one clearly out classes, in a rinky dink tournament, which is most of what he was fighting in in the first video you posted, you do just what you have to in order to dominate your opponent. You don't take advantage of their total lack of skill and experience, going in for the knockout.

Even in he Olympics, the pinnacle of martial arts competitions, American Steven Lopez showed good judgement by not knocking out the Iraqi fighter, whom Steven clearly out classed. Steve did just what he needed to do in order to defeat him, not injure him unnecessarily.

Then in the later videos he is running around in those "rhinestone cowboy" redneck fringe batman cape outfits, ridiculous. But if you like that kind of thing, beating up on the unskilled, raising ones arms high in victory having defeated the weak, adorning oneself in foolish clothes, go for it.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe he is elite in ISKA and kickboxing, who cares, I thought he was a Taekwondo guy, what did he achieve in Taekwondo, nothing? This is the Taekwondo board, not the ISKA or kickboxing board, so, again, who cares, not me.

It's obvious to me he (and his coach) has twisted ethics, and no, I have no respect for that kind of thing. When one competes against an opponent one clearly out classes, in a rinky dink tournament, which is most of what he was fighting in in the first video you posted, you do just what you have to in order to dominate your opponent. You don't take advantage of their total lack of skill and experience, going in for the knockout.

Even in he Olympics, the pinnacle of martial arts competitions, American Steven Lopez showed good judgement by not knocking out the Iraqi fighter, whom Steven clearly out classed. Steve did just what he needed to do in order to defeat him, not injure him unnecessarily.

Then in the later videos he is running around in those "rhinestone cowboy" redneck fringe batman cape outfits, ridiculous. But if you like that kind of thing, beating up on the unskilled, raising ones arms high in victory having defeated the weak, adorning oneself in foolish clothes, go for it.
I know he did very well in independent tournaments, I have no idea what he did once wtf, but you dont have to be wtf to be elite. I know you say wtf tournaments are 'open' but really, if you dont train that style then why would you enter? MMA tourneys are 'open' but Im not about to enter because I dont train MMA, just as wtf tourneys may be open but realistically no one from where I train (for instance) would enter because we dont know the rules. I cant comment on his wtf career (because I didnt know he had one), but believe it or not there are thousands of "elite" tkdists training in independent clubs that you would never even know about. Steve fought some very formidable opponents and wiped the floor with them.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Vick was the Taekwondo National Champion of Australia five times in a row. Not satisfied with dominating the Australian Taekwondo circuit, he moved on to kickboxing. Vick easily brushed the competition aside, becoming State Kickboxing Champion, then National Kickboxing Champion. Setting his sights on the rest of the world, Vick entered the international spotlight. Soon he was crowned the Commonwealth Kickboxing Champion, then the Intercontinental Champion, until, finally, he fought his way to become the World Kickboxing Champion in 1994."

Now don't take it personal, I know some people might actually have some kind of hero worship/admiration/infatuation thing going on for this guy, but let's get past that and look at the facts.

Looks to me like he might have bailed, avoiding world level international Taekwondo competition, or did he get eliminated at team trials? Taekwondo competitions get very tough, difficult and dangerous at the international level. It's why some people today, turn tale jump into American style this or that, keeping that big fish in the small pond status for their fans.

So, was he 5 time Australian WTF National Champion? Or something else.............

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know he did very well in independent tournaments, I have no idea what he did once wtf, but you dont have to be wtf to be elite. I know you say wtf tournaments are 'open' but really, if you dont train that style then why would you enter? MMA tourneys are 'open' but Im not about to enter because I dont train MMA, just as wtf tourneys may be open but realistically no one from where I train (for instance) would enter because we dont know the rules. I cant comment on his wtf career (because I didnt know he had one), but believe it or not there are thousands of "elite" tkdists training in independent clubs that you would never even know about. Steve fought some very formidable opponents and wiped the floor with them.

He clearly knows how to fight according to WTF rules, he's doing it in the videos, against untrained novices. But Steve could not wipe the floor with elite international Taekwondo fighters. Maybe that is why he chose to bail out and keep his ego going, or did he loose in Australian WTF team trials? Let's research that and see what we come up with.

After all, this is an Olympic Taekwondo thread. Let's keep on subject.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Vick was the Taekwondo National Champion of Australia five times in a row. Not satisfied with dominating the Australian Taekwondo circuit, he moved on to kickboxing. Vick easily brushed the competition aside, becoming State Kickboxing Champion, then National Kickboxing Champion. Setting his sights on the rest of the world, Vick entered the international spotlight. Soon he was crowned the Commonwealth Kickboxing Champion, then the Intercontinental Champion, until, finally, he fought his way to become the World Kickboxing Champion in 1994."

Now don't take it personal, I know some people might actually have some kind of hero worship/admiration/infatuation thing going on for this guy, but let's get past that and look at the facts.

Looks to me like he might have bailed, avoiding world level international Taekwondo competition, or did he get eliminated at team trials? Taekwondo competitions get very tough, difficult and dangerous at the international level. It's why some people today, turn tale jump into American style this or that, keeping that big fish in the small pond status for their fans.

So, was he 5 time Australian WTF National Champion? Or something else.............
Yeah, because everybody is terrified of competing in wtf events:uhohh::uhohh: . It sometimes comes accross that some of the wtf fan boys think that the only "elite" fighters out there fight in wtf comps. I have the most respect for wtf fighters but to suggest that guys change over to kickboxing because the "tkd comps get too tough" is just ridiculous. Its usually the other way around , where tkd fighters go and join kickboxing/muay thai/mma to expand what they know and fight where the rules allow for more techs ie face punches. We are talking about steve vick here, I cant even believe I had to dignify what was said with a response.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some info I found- Steve "super kick" Vick masterd Taekwondo and took those skills with him to Kickboxing. Steve was a 4 time State Taekwondo Champion, 5 time National Taekwondo Champion,going into Kickboxing he Dominated,earning State Kickboxing Champion, National Kickboxing Champion, South Pacific Kickboxing Champion, Commonwealth Kickboxing Champion Welterweight and Super Welterweight Intercontinental Champion and in 1994 he won the World Kickboxing Champion tittle,then retired. Vick's fight with Hector Pena was voted the best fight in Australian Kickboxing History, reported by International Kickboxer Magazine.He is now retired and lives in Australia. Id be pretty happy with that cv. Five times national tkd champion, I dont think the going got too tough in tkd by the sounds of that. Sounds more like he was looking for a new challenge or possibly more money. I know over here (particularly back then) there was more money in kickboxing world title fights than in tkd comps. He went on to be world kickboxing champion, I think he retired pretty happy with his achievments and I find it funny that people who have achieved nothing compared to him can jump on the internet and question what they achieved. When you have achieved even half what he has I may be interested in your opinion. I dont mean to offend, but in all walks of life it really irritates me when keyboard warriors take aim at people who achieved elite staus in whatever they did. And yes, I do consider "national tkd champion" to mean "elite". I'll put it this way, if someone who is national tkd champion 5 times is not considered "elite" in your books, what must one achieve to be considered "elite"? Im imagining by your definition there are only a handful of elite tkdists in the world.

Last edited:

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, because everybody is terrified of competing in wtf events:uhohh::uhohh: . It sometimes comes accross that some of the wtf fan boys think that the only "elite" fighters out there fight in wtf comps. I have the most respect for wtf fighters but to suggest that guys change over to kickboxing because the "tkd comps get too tough" is just ridiculous. Its usually the other way around , where tkd fighters go and join kickboxing/muay thai/mma to expand what they know and fight where the rules allow for more techs ie face punches. We are talking about steve vick here, I cant even believe I had to dignify what was said with a response.

Not everyone, in fact the greatest number of Taekwondo fighters in the world compete in the WTF circuit, which is open to everyone, regardless of martial arts style. I know quite a few that did not turn tale and run the other way. They ended up as true Taekwondo World Champions, and Olympians. What is Steve's story?

By the way, I noticed on Moon Lee's website that he teaches Kukkiwon curriculum. Form what I remember, many, many, and many more "ex-Kukkiwon" guys supposedly flocked to Moon Lee's for non-Kukkiwon training. Is there some secret curriculum not posted on his site?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some info I found-

Steve "super kick" Vick masterd Taekwondo and took those skills with him to Kickboxing. Steve was a 4 time State Taekwondo Champion, 5 time National Taekwondo Champion,going into Kickboxing he Dominated,earning State Kickboxing Champion, National Kickboxing Champion, South Pacific Kickboxing Champion, Commonwealth Kickboxing Champion Welterweight and Super Welterweight Intercontinental Champion and in 1994 he won the World Kickboxing Champion tittle,then retired. Vick's fight with Hector Pena was voted the best fight in Australian Kickboxing History, reported by International Kickboxer Magazine.He is now retired and lives in Australia.

Id be pretty happy with that cv. Five times national tkd champion, I dont think the going got too tough in tkd by the sounds of that. Sounds more like he was looking for a new challenge. He went on to be world kickboxing champion, I think he retired pretty happy with his achievments and I find it funny that people who have achieved nothing compared to him can jump on the internet and question what they achieved. When you have achieved even half what he has I may be interested in your opinion. I dont mean to offend, but in all walks of life it really irritates me when keyboard warriors take aim at people who achieved elite staus in whatever they did. And yes, I do consider "national tkd champion" to mean "elite".

I say he turned tale and ran to a lesser group, where he could take his "WTF" skills and defeat the lesser skilled opponents, like he had been doing up to the point of now facing international level Taekwondo competition, that would truly test him. Big fish, small pond.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not everyone, in fact the greatest number of Taekwondo fighters in the world compete in the WTF circuit, which is open to everyone, regardless of martial arts style. I know quite a few that did not turn tale and run the other way. They ended up as true Taekwondo World Champions, and Olympians. What is Steve's story?

By the way, I noticed on Moon Lee's website that he teaches Kukkiwon curriculum. Form what I remember, many, many, and many more "ex-Kukkiwon" guys supposedly flocked to Moon Lee's for non-Kukkiwon training. Is there some secret curriculum not posted on his site?
Who is moon lee? If you are referring to the moon lee over here in australia, I have no idea as I havent trained there. I had a lot of mates who trained there in high school, he has schools all over the place. I thought they were kkw.

Latest Discussions