Taekwondo: Out of the Olympic Games after Brazil 2016?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
That still doesn't really answer the questions, though.

I think I know about the guard down, to protect the stomach, which is a major scoring area . . . although more often than not it seems that they don't actually protect anything, they just let their hands dangle at their sides.

Also, punches are allowed, so why don't they use them more? Seems you could rack up points with good, strong punches to the chest.

And just why ARE there so many roundhouses? TKD is known for its DIVERSITY of kicks. Like you said, "think in terms of what it is," so to me that means I should see a wide array of kicks on a regular basis.
Its funny you mention punches. At our club championships last year we used the wtf ruleset but actually scored punches and encouraged them. It was amazing how good it looked, it was awesome to watch and most points were scored by punches. It was also heaps of fun.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
cant agree, UFC, from the start, was a con game set up to promote one art, bjj, to the detriment of all others.

That's true. BUT there were some good practitioners in the first events. Pat Smith was a legit kickboxer. Ken Shamrock was a well-known submission fighter in Japan. Gerard Gordeau was a Kyokushin karate champion. Christoph Leninger was a judo champion. And so on. It's not like everyone was just some random dude cherry picked from strip mall karate studios.

I'm certainly no fan of the Gracies. I actually dislike them as a family. But I do think that they proved that in order to be a complete fighter you need a legit grappling game. Love or hate Royce, what he was able to do against proven guys in those early days was impressive.

in a very real way, it got worse, with "style" ceasing to matter, to the point now where the kids comming up today think that MMA is a style

Mostly true, but not entirely. Any MMA fan, for instance, knows that Machida is a karate guy, Alistair Overeem comes from Dutch kickboxing, Dong Hyun Kim is a judo guy, and Rousimar Palhares is a BJJ guy. Styles are still around, but everything requires modification for MMA, regardless of what it is.

Certainly anyone can come from any background--taekwondo, drunken money kung fu, pencak silat, or whatever--and if you can succeed and win then it's not like the sport will shun you. In fact, the opposite is most likely to happen because you'd be such a novelty. But the problem is that most guys from traditional backgrounds just haven't been able to adapt and haven't fared well.

Do I like it? No. I like the idea of style vs style. I'd love it if MMA presented lots of well-contested matchups between pure TKDers and karatekas and capoeira dudes and muay Thai guys and wrestlers and BJJ guys etc. But that's just not the reality and it's not because of any BS about TMAers being "too honorable" or anything like that, as is often alleged.

As for MMA being a style, at this point it kind of is. You can go to an MMA gym and sign up for an MMA program and will generally be taught a system of fighting that is a hybrid of muay Thai, wrestling, and BJJ, all modified for MMA competition.

plus, UFC created the myths that you "have" to have ground training, which is BS, and that BJJ is some superstyle, it isnt.

You certainly don't have to have any ground training. You don't actually need ANY training. It's not required to be a martial artist at all or to be a good one. But I can say that, as someone who has studied both TKD and judo, if you have no grappling ability then 9 times out of 10 a judoka will be able to get his hands on you and get you to the ground. That's just the way it is. And then the pure striker is probably going to complain about "cheating" and say "no fair" and then throw a fit and take his ball and go home.

Just consider the case of Raymond Daniels. Karate fighter extraordinaire who has like a million NBL titles and went 18-0 in kickboxing, picking up wins in the WCL and Pro-Taekwondo. On the feet, he's basically unstoppable, and completely CLOWNS guys and makes them look foolish. So what did he do? He went to Strikeforce, fought one MMA fight, got completely embarrassed and choked out by some random dude no one's ever heard of, and he's never fought in MMA since.

But with all that said, I will at least say that you probably don't need a ground game against untrained bar guys who don't know how to fight. So from a self-defense perspective, yeah, more often than not you can probably get away with it. But you never know when you're going to run up against a guy who actually has some training.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kimo came close to beating Royce and actually did knock him out of the tournament.

I'm not disagreeing that Rickson stacked the deck but John McCarthy claims that the only hand picked fight was Royce vs. Art Jimmerson and the rest were legit. I'm inclined to believe him.

It depends how you define 'hand picked'. Its where you look for fighters. Were any elite, international standard tkd guys asked to fight or did they just go to the local dodgy tkd club and offer "five minutes of fame" to some nobody black belt? Im pretty sure I know the answer.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Because they get hit, and because they're playing the game. There's no penalty to go down without getting hit so it becomes a strategy.

I will admit that that sounds kind of retarded. Falling down should never be a strategy and the rules should never encourage such a thing.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its funny you mention punches. At our club championships last year we used the wtf ruleset but actually scored punches and encouraged them. It was amazing how good it looked, it was awesome to watch and most points were scored by punches. It was also heaps of fun.

I actually asked my new WTF instructor about this. I told him that I've heard that punches score on paper, but that in reality the judges never score them. He said that, at least in the tournaments that his school competes in, that that's not true. I intend to test this myself once I get some training time under my belt and start competing.

I imagine that with the electronic hogu punches should start scoring. Right?

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends how you define 'hand picked'. Its where you look for fighters. Were any elite, international standard tkd guys asked to fight or did they just go to the local dodgy tkd club and offer "five minutes of fame" to some nobody black belt? Im pretty sure I know the answer.

Well let's look at the very first UFC.

In UFC 1, I actually don't think there were any TKD guys, but there was a karate guy: Gerard Gordeau.

According to Wikipedia, these are his credentials:

• 9th dan Kyokushinkai Karate (Budo Kaikan)
  • 7th dan Sei Budo Kai
  • 4th dan Kyokushinkai Karate (NKA)
  • 2nd dan Full-Contact Karate (USA)
  • Highest degree Savate (Boxe Francaise)
  • 4th dan Oyama Karate
  • Eight time Dutch Champion Kyokushin Karate
  • Competed at the World Championships Kyokushin Karate (1979, 1983, 1987)
  • Savate World Heavyweight Champion (1991)
  • Three time Savate European Heavyweight Champion

He also had a 27-4 kickboxing record. Doesn't strike me as some random dude off the street.

Gordeau actually made it all the way to the finals only to be choked out by Royce in under 2 minutes.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well let's look at the very first UFC.

In UFC 1, I actually don't think there were any TKD guys, but there was a karate guy: Gerard Gordeau.

According to Wikipedia, these are his credentials:

• 9th dan Kyokushinkai Karate (Budo Kaikan)
  • 7th dan Sei Budo Kai
  • 4th dan Kyokushinkai Karate (NKA)
  • 2nd dan Full-Contact Karate (USA)
  • Highest degree Savate (Boxe Francaise)
  • 4th dan Oyama Karate
  • Eight time Dutch Champion Kyokushin Karate
  • Competed at the World Championships Kyokushin Karate (1979, 1983, 1987)
  • Savate World Heavyweight Champion (1991)
  • Three time Savate European Heavyweight Champion

He also had a 27-4 kickboxing record. Doesn't strike me as some random dude off the street.

Gordeau actually made it all the way to the finals only to be choked out by Royce in under 2 minutes.
He is also only one example. To say the ufc exposed some myths is just too big of a call in my opinion. All it showed me was that if you happen to get into a fight with an elite bjj guy and you dont have a ground game you could be in trouble. BUT, 1. Thats pretty bloody obvious and most decent instructors would already have told this to their students, and 2. What are the chances of being attacked by some drunk in the pub who happens to be an elite grappling champion. The guy you mention, gerard gordeu, would feel pretty safe walking the streets at night and would beat the crap out of 99 per cent of guys he'd come accross on the street. I dont think he walked away from ufc saying "oh crap, everything Ive been taught is a myth".

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
He is also only one example.

I'm not saying there wasn't a mix. Through UFC 1-5 there were a good handful of random dudes. But there were also a lot of guys who had accomplished a great deal in their respective styles.

To say the ufc exposed some myths is just too big of a call in my opinion. All it showed me was that if you happen to get into a fight with an elite bjj guy and you dont have a ground game you could be in trouble.

The thing about grappling is that any fight can devolve into a brawl and end up on the ground. So what I think it showed us is that it's important to have at least a strong basic grappling game if you want to be a complete fighter and handle yourself in all ranges of combat.

BUT, 1. Thats pretty bloody obvious and most decent instructors would already have told this to their students

Well at least in terms of BJJ, I think a lot of guys--even martial arts instructors--had never even heard of it. But I do think that your point stands in regard to grappling in general.

2. What are the chances of being attacked by some drunk in the pub who happens to be an elite grappling champion.

Not good, so I agree that if we're talking purely about self-defense against untrained assailants, then yeah, you'll probably be fine even if all you've done is a striking art.

The guy you mention, gerard gordeu, would feel pretty safe walking the streets at night and would beat the crap out of 99 per cent of guys he'd come accross on the street.

Oh, no doubt.

I dont think he walked away from ufc saying "oh crap, everything Ive been taught is a myth".

No, I think he probably walked away saying, "I have a hole in my game."

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll also point out that I'm obviously not saying that striking is not good. I actually prefer it. I'm only saying that I believe it's foolish to not respect the need for grappling, just as I feel that it's foolish for a grappler to not respect the need for striking.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will admit that that sounds kind of retarded. Falling down should never be a strategy and the rules should never encourage such a thing.

Dunno if the rules encourage it so much as "don't forbid it". It eliminates the chance for a counter anyway.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard that WTF sparring is supposed to show off the "beauty" of TKD, and if that's the case, then there doesn't need to be anything that looks random or ugly like falling down.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard that WTF sparring is supposed to show off the "beauty" of TKD, and if that's the case, then there doesn't need to be anything that looks random or ugly like falling down.

My suggestion then is that you lead by example and don't fall down when you are competing under the WTF rules. By the way, there are penalties for intentional falling.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Not good, so I agree that if we're talking purely about self-defense against untrained assailants, then yeah, you'll probably be fine even if all you've done is a striking art."
and the reason most people do martial arts is to learn to defend themselves, not to fight proffessionally.

"No, I think he probably walked away saying, "I have a hole in my game."
which is such a "sports" thing to say, and yes, as far as sport goes he has a hole in his game. As far as self defence goes, I think he'd handle himself just fine. The gracies would have you believe that without a ground game you are screwed, and if you are talking purely sport, then they are probably right. Outside of the ring, I dont agree. Watch a good boxer get in a street fight, their lack of 'ground game' doesnt seem too much of a problem. Im still not seeing any 'myths' that the UFC uncovered.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its "beautiful" to other wtf tkdists, but to the untrained eye I dont think 'beautiful' springs to mind. Its a personal taste thing really. For me Ive sparred wtf rules and itf rules and itf rules are heaps more fun, but then I like punching.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
and the reason most people do martial arts is to learn to defend themselves, not to fight proffessionally. [/COLOR]

Self defense has been least important part for my students. They like sparring training, focus mitts and that they can train with their families. But most of them won't compete at all.

/Markku P

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
and the reason most people do martial arts is to learn to defend themselves, not to fight proffessionally.

Well like I said you'll PROBABLY be fine.

Then again, it's not like no one's doing martial arts. Sometimes it seems like I can't even go to the bar anymore without bumping into at least 5 guys in Affliction shirts who "train UFC." On top of that one needs only look at a forum like this one to realize that people are out there who do train and have training and not all of them are going to have good intentions. So while I'm sure we both agree that MOST people in the world are untrained, it's kind of a roll of the dice to just assume it about any individual.

Also, I sometimes think standup fighters underestimate a real fight's ability to inexplicably end up on the ground. Sure, most of the time you can use your speed and distancing to keep it up right, but it's really not that hard for someone to get within clinch range and get their hands on you, which often leads to two guys rolling around on the ground. I know that if that happens I want to have the skills reverse position if I'm on the bottom or maintain position if I'm on top.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
On the subject of common WTF criticisms, such as being boring, not throwing punches, falling down, and using only roundhouses, I submit the following video.

It's a ITF guy competing against a WTF guy under WTF rules. As you'll see, the ITF guys uses a wide range of attacks. And even though it's at a slow, tactical pace, I didn't find the match boring at all.

Despite the fact that it's under the WTF ruleset, the guy more fully implementing TKD's arsenal wins!

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this no punches to the head thing is....................sorry cant be nice abot it, no punches to the head rule is retarded.

Latest Discussions