Taekwondo: Out of the Olympic Games after Brazil 2016?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this no punches to the head thing is....................sorry cant be nice abot it, no punches to the head rule is retarded.

As opposed to punches to the head leaving you retarded from brain damage?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this was a good match, the red player was clearly superior, an if not for the retarded no head punches rule, he would have knocked that blue out in short order. those punches had some pepper on 'em

On the subject of common WTF criticisms, such as being boring, not throwing punches, falling down, and using only roundhouses, I submit the following video.

It's a ITF guy competing against a WTF guy under WTF rules. As you'll see, the ITF guys uses a wide range of attacks. And even though it's at a slow, tactical pace, I didn't find the match boring at all.

Despite the fact that it's under the WTF ruleset, the guy more fully implementing TKD's arsenal wins!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh please. YOU ought to know better

so you don't get brain damage from repeated hits to the head?

How old were the TKDist in the video? In MMA we have a no head shot rule for under 16's. Plenty of time when they are older to have head shots and then sparingly.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i think it takes a lifetime of head shots to produce any serious effects. Hell, boxers do nothing BUT get hit in the head, and it is rare even then to notice any neurological effects.

when you got gloves AND headgear on?

not a concern IMO

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think it takes a lifetime of head shots to produce any serious effects. Hell, boxers do nothing BUT get hit in the head, and it is rare even then to notice any neurological effects.

when you got gloves AND headgear on?

not a concern IMO

We've had discussions on here about this subject with plenty of proof to say headshots do cause damage, it's too serious a subject to gloss over here apart from derailing the thread.
Being contrary is only droll for so long then it's boring.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
can it cause dammage? sure

does it cause dammage to everyone? of course not

YOU are the one being contrary

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
this no punches to the head thing is....................sorry cant be nice abot it, no punches to the head rule is retarded.

I agree, more or less. But I think what I find much more disturbing is no punching at all. I get excited any time I see a WTF practitioner at least utilizing body punches because that's much better than doing nothing but kicks.

BTW, I'm curious to know what you think of Kyokushin's ruleset. . .?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
they allow leg kicks, head kicks, punches to the body, knees too if i remember right, but no punches to the head, right?

thats retarded too.

here is the thing, if you are worried about safety? dont allow kicks to the head, those when they manage to land, carry a lot more force and can do a lot more dammage than any hand technique

there is no reason to allow kicks to the head but NOT allow punches to the head.

well, other than trying to avoid broken knuckles.....

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
this is much more impressive to me :

. . .

than this is:

Good stuff. Really like that ITF vid. Though to be fair, you compared a highlight to a full match which isn't really an accurate comparison.

Something like this Steve Vick vid that I posted the other day might be a bit better to represent the WTF:

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh. Is it? I thought it was Pearl Jam. Not that I listen to either.

And yeah, all of Vick's highlight vids have weird musical choices. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good stuff. Really like that ITF vid. Though to be fair, you compared a highlight to a full match which isn't really an accurate comparison.

Something like this Steve Vick vid that I posted the other day might be a bit better to represent the WTF:

Isnt steve vick an aussie, or at least started tkd here? If he's the guy Im thinking of he trained at a club just up the road from me.

Latest Discussions