Systema a discussion

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
err I'm happily type it in the future, the humans race has made significant progress by changing the accepted opinion, as part of my personal development I'm happy to change mine, if additional evidence come to light, it the refusal to consider you may be wrong that leads to entrenched illogic statement like many you have made above

Some of my statements will seem illogical to those know everything.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some of my statements will seem illogical to those know everything.
no there clearly illogical to any one who tasken even a few minetes to research the topic, take the one where you said you would die if you hold your breath, that gives a clear indecation n that you don't understand the respiratory system or its connection to the ns, logic should tell you if you're wrong on such a fundamental level, you many need to think again about some of the other conclusions your have blindly accepted from your instructor

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no not at all, a fundamental point that is in direct contradiction to what you said above, which was, your breathing controls you ns. this takes us down the line of magical thinking and takes us significantly away from the root of developing athletic performance, which is to focus on control of your ns
Breathing activates one part of the NS, which can override another part. The part you're activating gives you direct control of things the other removes direct control of.

So, yes, consciously controlling breathing does give you control of your NS.

But go ahead and argue. You'll still be wrong, but that never stops you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a different opinion on different days, some times the weight of the argument that's been given against my views sways me, some times I've done addition research and modified my view, some times I consider more deeply and switch it back again, having a fixed opinion is indicative of having a closed mind but facts are always facts, till there not, and that's science
No, it's not that, at all. You've staunchly defended positions, then days later taken pretty much the opposite position just as vehemently. Both times without really seeming to understand the argument.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it's not that, at all. You've staunchly defended positions, then days later taken pretty much the opposite position just as vehemently. Both times without really seeming to understand the argument.
I'm always understand the argument, some times I change my mind, that is a very healthy thing to do, sometimes, having further considered the issue, I change it back again also healthy, gaining knowledge and understand MUST always be about changing your view, that is just it's purpose?

you seem to want a situation were once expressed your stuck with an opinion for ever. that's dictatorial and extremely unhealthy.t he problem on here and with you in particular is you don't seem able to discuss a topic wwith out launching adhom attacks, which is what this is !

Last edited:
OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm always understand the argument, some times I change my mind, that is a very healthy thing to do, sometimes, having further considered the issue, I change it back again also healthy, gaining knowledge and understand MUST always be about changing your view, that is just it's purpose?

you seem to want a situation were once expressed your stuck with an opinion for ever. that's dictatorial and extremely unhealthy
Is that like supporting Man utd, until man city win the league, so now you support city?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that like supporting Man utd, until man city win the league, so now you support city?
to be honest yes but not quite, I have in the last few seasons wanted both of them to win the league, I hated united when Ferguson was in charge, as really I hated Ferguson, then the became a united fan when the special one was in charge and then when he went moved to Liverpool last season, as. like klopp, this season its spurs

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you seem to want a situation were once expressed your stuck with an opinion for ever. that's dictatorial and extremely unhealthy.t he problem on here and with you in particular is you don't seem able to discuss a topic wwith out launching adhom attacks, which is what this is !
No, what I'd like is some intellectual honesty.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
to be honest yes but not quite, I have in the last few seasons wanted both of them to win the league, I hated united when Ferguson was in charge, as really I hated Ferguson, then the became a united fan when the special one was in charge and then when he went moved to Liverpool last season, as. like klopp, this season its spurs
Keeping an open mind, debating, and being willing to change your mind, are very healthy things to do, to chop and change, then change back with your mood is not, as gpseymour says, some intellectual honesty is needed, lots of things you write are bob on, interesting, and correct, other things you write seem chaotic, we are all guilty of having a bad post, or responding to a post without thinking it through properly, but it's like forum bi-polar when you read your different posts.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keeping an open mind, debating, and being willing to change your mind, are very healthy things to do, to chop and change, then change back with your mood is not, as gpseymour says, some intellectual honesty is needed, lots of things you write are bob on, interesting, and correct, other things you write seem chaotic, we are all guilty of having a bad post, or responding to a post without thinking it through properly, but it's like forum bi-polar when you read your different posts.
well that's possibly one interpretation, the truth is subtly different.

these are quite often complex concepts with significant shades of grey, sometimes I have the patience to dumb it down so that people like you can understand it, but as that requires the e!imination of the shades of grey, what I'm communicating becomes inaccurate, others I can't be bother pandering to the lowest common denominator, in which case your cognitive function find it confusing, and rather than accept your handicap you lay the blame on the communicator

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't be bother pandering to the lowest common denominator, in which case your cognitive function find it confusing, and rather than accept your handicap you lay the blame on the communicator

It wasn't me asking for an explanation

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyhow, a little while ago, I mentioned some ex UFC fighter and his mate a current IFC fighter did a anti Systema video on you
Tube, asking for systema practitioners to stand up to the plate, and meet them, I agreed, a date was set, they cancelled, it turns out they found another so say Systema practioner to meet with them, where they filmed it, and have produced the video on YouTube, this other Systema bloke, has trained in the art, but proclaimed Systema does not have pressure testing sparring, or ground techniques, I guess he trains a different systema to me, but in the interest of fairness, here is the link to the video, can't believe they never rolled or sparred, which was the original argument.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apnea training is kind of a thing for athletic performance.
well it a" thing" coz google says it is ! but is it a " thing" because of its wide spread use by professional athletes other than swimmers and divers google didn't seem to know

I struggled to find a page from an aurthoritive source, such little science as I could glean, suggests that it noa deep breathing and holding your breathalike a diver for long periods, so much as emptying your lungs and doing very intense exercise for a very few seconds that's been shown to be effective, as it promotes the more efficient use of oxygen, like a very poor version of altitude training or indeed one of them altitude training masks,. that in its selfseems to run contrary to the use of breathy techniques in systema and other ma. and isn't at all what he suggested I should practise !

I try and maintain very slow and shallow breathing durrinbg intense circuit training and hold my breath on the power element of the exercise, which is the exact opposite of the accepted wisdom of power on the exhale , for much the same reasons, that it promotes more blood oxygen and builds the anaerobic base, I didn't know that this was " apnea training " so now I'm better informed ?

I'd be interested to know if you've seen some actual science that's conclusive on its performance benefits and exactly what mnethord of apnea training they used

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyhow, a little while ago, I mentioned some ex UFC fighter and his mate a current IFC fighter did a anti Systema video on you
Tube, asking for systema practitioners to stand up to the plate, and meet them, I agreed, a date was set, they cancelled, it turns out they found another so say Systema practioner to meet with them, where they filmed it, and have produced the video on YouTube, this other Systema bloke, has trained in the art, but proclaimed Systema does not have pressure testing sparring, or ground techniques, I guess he trains a different systema to me, but in the interest of fairness, here is the link to the video, can't believe they never rolled or sparred, which was the original argument.
I watched that last night, I think they were more than fair, when meeting people face to face, as opposed to mocking them from a distance. they accepted everything the guy said without challenge, so unfortunately we learn nothing at all about the practical use of systema

the only ( subjective) measure used, was do systema s punches hurt and of course they do, do they hurt more or less than a more Orthodox punch, we still don't know, is the systema technueqwue of shaking like a jelly when hit effective ? no idea, they didn't even attempt to hit him.

as he was a you tuber, I think the cross population of views between channels was a major factor in this, rather than serious enquiry and as being humiliatedwould be a major hit on the profitability of either channel, there was a serious cash incentive not to actually have a fight, which is quite possibly why they declined to meet you ?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

So can we see some video of Systema sparring?

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So can we see some video of Systema sparring?
Most videos are done for showing training drills to students, but I will see if we can film some in the next couple of weeks, to place here, but it may take a couple of weeks, as it's holiday season, also 2nd sept to 15th sept, I am away spending 10 days trekking through the jungle in Borneo, and then 7th to 13th Oct, I will be in Toronto, to train at Systema hq with Vladimir, but will endeavour to get some done ASAP.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2nd sept to 15th sept, I am away spending 10 days trekking through the jungle in Borneo, and then 7th to 13th Oct, I will be in Toronto, to train at Systema hq with Vladimir, but will endeavour to get some done ASAP
Safe travels. Enjoy Toronto Gweilo, it is a blast there.