Sword & Hammer, Obscure Wing

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
It does not work however in 'hands on' techniques where you are manipulated before you can respond. Keep this in mind.

Doc, may I ask what you mean by being maniuplated before I can respond? I'm not sure if I'm getting the full grasp of what you are saying.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
Doc, may I ask what you mean by being maniuplated before I can respond? I'm not sure if I'm getting the full grasp of what you are saying.
Anyone who has their hands on you, as the ability to 'manipulate' you. Even a gentile push/pull can disrupt you significantly if you are not structurally sound, and prepared for the possibility.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
Anyone who has their hands on you, as the ability to 'manipulate' you. Even a gentile push/pull can disrupt you significantly if you are not structurally sound, and prepared for the possibility.

Mind the basics, yes?

That the "tiger moves" are no substitute for being a martial artist. One that can anticipate/read the attack, take an effective stance, and execute an advatageous move.

And, if I am integrating these basics, then I have the skill to integrate an attack that may be more effective (or more appropriate) that the tiger moves.

My school hasn't stressed those moves, although it is coincidence that I am discussing two moves that have throat strikes in them. Groin strikes, esp. kicks, are something that my instructor regularly brings up as possible move when engaging an opponent. Perhaps this is not a fair question, but is a kick to the shins perhaps better? A kick that can't really be "caught", less likely to cause damage to the person, effective on both men and women...or, am I not thinking the right way?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
Mind the basics, yes?
Absolutely.
Groin strikes, esp. kicks, are something that my instructor regularly brings up as possible move when engaging an opponent. Perhaps this is not a fair question, but is a kick to the shins perhaps better? A kick that can't really be "caught", less likely to cause damage to the person, effective on both men and women...or, am I not thinking the right way?
Personally I like your thinking. Depending upon your shoes and the kick, the shin is a much easier and effective target that cannot be 'blocked', that will illicit an immediate response. The groin is not always effective, nor immediate when it is.

One other thing. You have opponants in sports, games, contests, and debates. When a person attacks you, they are not an opponant. They are an attacker. Let your mindset be clear. There is no second place.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
One other thing. You have opponants in sports, games, contests, and debates. When a person attacks you, they are not an opponant. They are an attacker. Let your mindset be clear. There is no second place.

You have read me well sir. Point taken.

I deeply appreciate your input, and have been thoroughly enjoying getting to know your approach. Sir it floors me that you would take the time to exchange ideas with a newbie like me. I don't know what to say other than thank you so much!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
You have read me well sir. Point taken.

I deeply appreciate your input, and have been thoroughly enjoying getting to know your approach. Sir it floors me that you would take the time to exchange ideas with a newbie like me. I don't know what to say other than thank you so much!
Thnak you for being open to my input and suggestions.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc,
Sorry for being technical but when you say strike under the sternum do you mean a point inferior to the sternum in a standing opponent such as the upper abdomen?

Jeff

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeff,

Are you reading it that way? I read it as to strike under the nose, or [at the] sternum.

Carol

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
Jeff,

Are you reading it that way? I read it as to strike under the nose, or [at the] sternum.

Carol
I prabably read it wrong. In which case the sternum is a long target, is there a preferred point on the sternum to strike?

Thanks,

Jeff

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
I prabably read it wrong. In which case the sternum is a long target, is there a preferred point on the sternum to strike?

Thanks,

Jeff
The main target is the terminus point of the governing vessel just under the nose. The STERNUM is listed as an optional target for training purposes. Doc does really mean the sternum and not something lower. We use this to allow the students to actually strike and feel the power without hurting the attacker.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Doc,
Sorry for being technical but when you say strike under the sternum do you mean a point inferior to the sternum in a standing opponent such as the upper abdomen?

Jeff
Doc please, being technical is what you're supposed to be. That's where the knowledge is. What you're doing with the HAMMERFIST to the body (option) is striking (in Chinese Terms) on the centerline in the area of CV 14-16. These points correspond to the 'zyphoid process.' But the trick is getting him to 'open' his primary points, as well as the angle you strike.

For you and others interested

Experiment (and be kind):

Have a study partner stand off of your right flank with their left shoulder and thorax angled about 45-degrees to your right shoulder.

Ready your hammer fist strike.

Strike your training partner in the area of the tip of the zyphoid process. (I don't have to remind you to not overdo it)

In your second model; all positions are the same, however this time have him seize your shoulder tightly and pull signifcantly to simulate street aggression.

Once you feel the pressure, strike in the same area, but this time strike downward at a 45-degree angle and loop and 'skip' your strike through the target.

Let me know.

In this technique, the preferred default target in Sword & Hammer is the conception vessel terminus point below the bottom lip on the centerline, or the governor vessel terminus on the centerline above the top lip on the initial strike. An adjustment is acceptable for height disparities by optioning to the experiment target at the zyphoid process. Both are on the same meridian and have a significant impact when executed properly.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
doc, i've actually done this experiment in a context outside kenpo, but the expected results were: 1. struck downward angle would 'seal the breath' or take the wind out of his sails. 2. struck on an upward angle would give invoke a nauseaous and disoriented feeling. 3. struck directly could actually stop the heart. the first two i can attest to working, the 3rd, well we had common sense to back off the experiment and believe!.

pete

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
pete said:
doc, i've actually done this experiment in a context outside kenpo, but the expected results were: 1. struck downward angle would 'seal the breath' or take the wind out of his sails. 2. struck on an upward angle would give invoke a nauseaous and disoriented feeling. 3. struck directly could actually stop the heart. the first two i can attest to working, the 3rd, well we had common sense to back off the experiment and believe!.

pete
"Sealing the Breath" is a term we use all the time, you don't here very often in kenpo. :) Of course you're absolutely correct, and with moderate energy you can and will 'drop' the guy. In training my people I also teach the necessary posture(s) to "Unseal the Breath" as well.

Now the 'angle of incidence' strike is significant but not likely to induce Cardiac Arrhythmia or Sudden Arrhythmia. This can be caused by a strike lateral of that location closer to K-22. However that would require a specific induced negative body posture, to achieve the effect.

Now you still have to perform the experiment, to study the differences in effect outlined in the experiment model.

Good Obs. Get back to me on the experiement.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
Doc,

i did the experiment and well...hhmmm very cool stuff..move Doc move to Atlanta GA
Tell me about it. I want to make sure I didn't 'trick' or hipnotize you into thinking something works that really doesn't. :)

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Truth be told, it's 'how' you look ot Index the head. There is a right and wrong depending upon the activity.

by the term index, you are referring to the exact movement you make when you turn your head- correct?

what for example would be a wrong way of turning the head to look in say a horse stance when you want to look to your left?

or if that's not a good question-- can you give an example?

Latest Discussions