Still Training

Rokuta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I remember reading a humorous sticky about expected survival rates of new martial artists. Statistically I would say I'm doing well at a year and a half without dropping out, especially from Ninpo (OUCH!). There is still a long road of learning ahead with no end, something to look forward to. :) I have met a lot of interesting, good people and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has been melancholy watching several new students come, last for a while and then go their way; their search for an art still unfulfilled. Others have had to suffer multiple interruptions in their training to the point where guys who began more than two years ahead of me are now lower in rank (though probably not in skill).

So, my progress to date: I am an orange belt/Hachi Kyu and will most likely test late this summer for first green/Nana Kyu. If I do really well I just might test for Rok Kyu before January. A poorly executed break fall (due to a really badly executed tobi geri) in February dropped me on my right shoulder and slowed me down for about 2 months. On the bright side this gave me enough time to really get some things fine tuned/corrected to the point of being acceptable for my Hachi Kyu test. Beginning to make progress on our Kihon Happo. Still working on Ichimonji no Kamae. :D Still working on not dropping my hands after a punch, block, shuto, etc. Still working on keeping my thumbs on my fingers, and not in Boshi Ken, when punching. My stamina is better overall.

With time and practice my hope is that my mind/body will get better at absorbing instruction, or I will come to not mind the delays in my comprehension. The whole physical activity thing was never a priority for me before and does not come easy now.

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am just a beginner too. In fact, one martial art lesson, GOML. However, I've been enthuasiastic without actually doing the art for a few months now.

I believe that true martial artists value the challenge and, possibly, the 'arts' aspect far more than self defense. Anybody doing it for solely self defense is not a true martial artist to me. Hell, I'm way out of my depth saying that, considering my experience, but it's what I think.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am just a beginner too. In fact, one martial art lesson, GOML. However, I've been enthuasiastic without actually doing the art for a few months now.

I believe that true martial artists value the challenge and, possibly, the 'arts' aspect far more than self defense. Anybody doing it for solely self defense is not a true martial artist to me. Hell, I'm way out of my depth saying that, considering my experience, but it's what I think.

I agree. To me, martial arts is like playing guitar. It isn't about just impressing chicks and banging groupies; I do it for the artistic aspect. :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is close to my fourth year of goju ryu karate (i dislike the low stances like horse stance but not a problem doing it though) but I remember when I started
Kyoshi: don , practice 1st kata
Me: which one is that?
Kyoshi: don ... We already been over this, 10 pushups
Me: when?
Kyoshi: 10 more
Me: right here
Kyoshi: 10 more
Me: on the ground???
Kyoshi: (frustrated stare) 10 more
Me: wait how many?!
Kyoshi : now it's at 50...

And now... If new students goof off or argue i tell them 10 pushups :)

gapjumper

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
They'll get good at push-ups then.

Would the time be getter spent?

gapjumper

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So, my progress to date: I am an orange belt/Hachi Kyu and will most likely test late this summer for first green/Nana Kyu. If I do really well I just might test for Rok Kyu before January. A poorly executed break fall (due to a really badly executed tobi geri) in February dropped me on my right shoulder and slowed me down for about 2 months.

Orange belt? Which org is that with?

OP
Rokuta

Rokuta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
wingchun100 - We serve as roadside entertainment for passers by. A few even stop and watch, but nobody ever joins in.

gapjumper - "Orange belt? Which org is that with?" Genbukan, though I think most of our belt colors are not used in Japan. We use White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Green, Purple, Purple, Brown, Brown, Black.

donald1 - I've been doing a lot of pushups lately. :D Fifty knuckle pushups is beyond my current abilities unless I do them in sets.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just want to say congratulation on staying with your art and making it wee past the first year mark.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
donald1 - I've been doing a lot of pushups lately. :D Fifty knuckle pushups is beyond my current abilities unless I do them in sets.

Nice, knuckle pushups help improve punches a lot

I still got marks on my hands from practicing mine on concrete one thing I've learned that helps new students is a good start one day get 5 good pushups in(all of them have to be GOOD) later that day 10. Then the next day 15 and before you know it your doing 100 good pushups

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice, knuckle pushups help improve punches a lot

I still got marks on my hands from practicing mine on concrete one thing I've learned that helps new students is a good start one day get 5 good pushups in(all of them have to be GOOD) later that day 10. Then the next day 15 and before you know it your doing 100 good pushups

Since wing chun is mostly punching, I need to get back into doing my push-ups this way.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. To me, martial arts is like playing guitar. It isn't about just impressing chicks and banging groupies; I do it for the artistic aspect. :)

I'll be honest, I'm primarily in it for the groupies. BJJ is especially effective for attracting the ladies. The following conversation is just a typical example:

Me: Hey, babe! I like to wear pajamas and roll around on the ground with a bunch of sweaty guys. Want to come watch?

Hot "groupie": Riiiight. Maybe later. I have to go now.

She tries to play it coy by saying "maybe," but she'll definitely be back later. How could she resist? Of course, in this case she forgot to ask where the dojo is, but that's just as well. I wouldn't want all the groupies showing up at once and getting jealous of each other.

Rokuto - congrats on sticking with it. Keep on it for another decade or three and you can become a "lifer" like me. Then you'll be surrounded by groupies too.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I'm primarily in it for the groupies. BJJ is especially effective for attracting the ladies. The following conversation is just a typical example:

Me: Hey, babe! I like to wear pajamas and roll around on the ground with a bunch of sweaty guys. Want to come watch?

Hot "groupie": Riiiight. Maybe later. I have to go now.

She tries to play it coy by saying "maybe," but she'll definitely be back later. How could she resist? Of course, in this case she forgot to ask where the dojo is, but that's just as well. I wouldn't want all the groupies showing up at once and getting jealous of each other.

Rokuto - congrats on sticking with it. Keep on it for another decade or three and you can become a "lifer" like me. Then you'll be surrounded by groupies too.

You know what I meant. Some people are into it for "superficial" reasons, while others seek out something deeper.

Latest Discussions