New instructor, first test, 20 years experience

Galahad25

White Belt
Reaction score
So background, I've studied martial arts 15 of the last 30 years earning black belts in TKD, Tang Soo Do, and Jujitsu but moved to a new city and had to find a new instructor. I found one I like that teaches Shito-Ryu and of course I started out at white belt but the new instructor (and when I say new I mean new to me and just opened the studio) started talking quickly about whether I'd compete. I like to compete but told him I thought it best that I test at least once before I'd compete as I felt an assessment of skill was needed to properly assign rank before competing, as a fairness to my competitors.
I took my first test and I was promoted from 10th kyu to 9th kyu. The thing is Tang Soo Do is basically Shotokan Karate. The execution of movements are very different in some cases and only slightly with others but the same forms. I've adjusted all of my basic movements to Shito-Ryu quickly and he's started to work with me on some of the more advanced ones as well.
I've changed schools several times because I have moved a lot but that kind of rank advancement I haven't experienced since I first started. None of my instructors have worked with me for months and then tested me to give me an assessment of still being a novice. I am confused as to if it is just what he considered standard to only promote one rank at a time but I can say that I don't feel I should be competing against yellow belts at competitions and am unable to decide how I should approach him on the subject.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is competing important to you? If it is, just say that you'd rather compete with your higher ranking, to keep the competitions fair. If not, then just continue your training, it's a good chance to learn/re-learn everything from the ground up.

Also, are they in-house or public competitions? If he brought up public competitions on your first talk, and wants you to compete in them as a yellow belt, there's a chance he wants to have his school win some comps as a new instructor.

OP
G

Galahad25

White Belt
Reaction score
Competitions are not the reason I train but I do enjoy them as a way of varying training and getting personal as well as community feedback on execution of skill under stress.
Public competitions. The first one is next month for the state AAU championships.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The thing is Tang Soo Do is basically Shotokan Karate.
I'm curious as to the amount of people who say this have actually trained in both styles. TSD split from Shotokan before the changes that Gigo made to it. Another style that also did is Wado-ryu. And if you compare katas, TSD's are actually closer to Wado-ryu than Shotokan.

I've changed schools several times because I have moved a lot but that kind of rank advancement I haven't experienced since I first started. None of my instructors have worked with me for months and then tested me to give me an assessment of still being a novice. I am confused as to if it is just what he considered standard to only promote one rank at a time but I can say that I don't feel I should be competing against yellow belts at competitions and am unable to decide how I should approach him on the subject.
I'm not going to tell you what should or shouldn't be important to you. That's not my place. But I will say that if I was in the position, I'd simply go along with what the instructor is having me do, while I learn the system that is new to me. That's just me.

OP
G

Galahad25

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious as to the amount of people who say this have actually trained in both styles. TSD split from Shotokan before the changes that Gigo made to it. Another style that also did is Wado-ryu. And if you compare katas, TSD's are actually closer to Wado-ryu than Shotokan.
I'm not sure this is accurate as I thought Gigo started to enact his changes in the 30s and Tang Soo Do adopted the Shotokan style in the early 40s, at least the lineage I trained under. There are several TSD GM that use it as a general term. We used the longer stances as compared to pre Gigo Shotokan or Shito-Ryu. The stances really are the biggest adjustment I've had to make, shorter and wider as well as punches being more of a squared up fighting stance. I had to watch some Wado-ryu but it does seem similar to TSD.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So background, I've studied martial arts 15 of the last 30 years earning black belts in TKD, Tang Soo Do, and Jujitsu but moved to a new city and had to find a new instructor. I found one I like that teaches Shito-Ryu and of course I started out at white belt but the new instructor (and when I say new I mean new to me and just opened the studio) started talking quickly about whether I'd compete. I like to compete but told him I thought it best that I test at least once before I'd compete as I felt an assessment of skill was needed to properly assign rank before competing, as a fairness to my competitors.
I took my first test and I was promoted from 10th kyu to 9th kyu. The thing is Tang Soo Do is basically Shotokan Karate. The execution of movements are very different in some cases and only slightly with others but the same forms. I've adjusted all of my basic movements to Shito-Ryu quickly and he's started to work with me on some of the more advanced ones as well.
Hello and welcome. Since you are a beginner in Shito-Ryu, you would advance according to that organization’s standards, which may be one rank at a time. I teach TSD, and it is not the same as Shotokan. I have trained in both and began as a white belt in both. Is the tournament open to all local schools or only to certain ones?

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's open to all AAU Karate registered competitors.
Ok, so it is open to a particular organization, which means that the instructor may want to see how you compete within this rule set to help him assess your individual situation.

OP
G

Galahad25

White Belt
Reaction score
I talked with Sensei tonight about this. His response was that I should move down a class, from masters (over 35 as I'm 46) to senior (18 to 35) if I felt it would be more competitive. Seems like a good suggestion. He also told me not to be concerned if someone accuses of under ranking as he knows the organizers and will inform them of my prior experience and they won't recognize any previous belts as experience since it wasn't karate.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talked with Sensei tonight about this. His response was that I should move down a class, from masters (over 35 as I'm 46) to senior (18 to 35) if I felt it would be more competitive. Seems like a good suggestion. He also told me not to be concerned if someone accuses of under ranking as he knows the organizers and will inform them of my prior experience and they won't recognize any previous belts as experience since it wasn't karate.
Makes sense.

OP
G

Galahad25

White Belt
Reaction score
Now I just gotta train myself to kiai on every strike attempt.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Exactly how you worded it here. If you have legitimate documentation, of a way to verify you prior experience, it will go a long way.
Remember, it is not just your word and integrity on the line.

Latest Discussions