Star Trek... military nuttiness...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurred by the comments about the serious military disconnects in the Star Trek franchise... I was thinking...

The starship Enterprise (in just about every version!) must have some of the best deputy department heads in the universe! I mean, look at it... The captain's popping off the ship every time you turn around, often taking department heads and other bridge crew with him. Leaving the ship in the hands of the various deputy heads... I mean, didn't Kirk, Picard, et al. have captainy duties, like making sure paychecks got cut, supplies ordered, handling discipline and captain's mast...

So -- anybody else got any mysteries about the Enterprise to discuss?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those poor red shirts ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ive noticed something once or twice. Why do the staff keep changing, even when theyre a long way away from Federation planets? The transporter chief gets changed, the engineers get changed, the security teams get changed... Its like they have spare staff members curled up in the jeffries tubes, just waiting. :)

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ive noticed something once or twice. Why do the staff keep changing, even when theyre a long way away from Federation planets? The transporter chief gets changed, the engineers get changed, the security teams get changed... Its like they have spare staff members curled up in the jeffries tubes, just waiting. :)

Scotty is just that good at long range transportation. And if you were a crew member on a ship with all that craziness, wouldn't you want to be reassigned? Sci Fi is wonderful. Where else can you drop all pretext of rationality and create a non-military swash buckling explorer/adventurer crew that manages to win every battle they're not supposed to have, and eat popcorn and watch it in 3D. Star Trek has never been about the real world. It is pure, unadulterated escapism, without apologies. :)

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
No fuses. Every time there's a power surge on the Enterprise the various stations and consoles explode in a shower of sparks and throw their seatbelt-less operators over the Captain's head.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scotty is just that good at long range transportation. And if you were a crew member on a ship with all that craziness, wouldn't you want to be reassigned? Sci Fi is wonderful. Where else can you drop all pretext of rationality and create a non-military swash buckling explorer/adventurer crew that manages to win every battle they're not supposed to have, and eat popcorn and watch it in 3D. Star Trek has never been about the real world. It is pure, unadulterated escapism, without apologies. :)

See now, i never thought about it that way! Well, the being reassigned part. The rest is pretty much what went through my head the first time i watched it. %-}

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The redo added in self deploying seat belts. Those are cool. :)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Their ships are WAY too roomy. In the real world warships are about jamming as much as you can into as little space as possible. Wasted space requires energy to move around.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Their ships are WAY too roomy. In the real world warships are about jamming as much as you can into as little space as possible. Wasted space requires energy to move around.

I think that's true of most sci fi series. I mean look at both Galactica series. You could play football in their launch bays. :)

My issue with the new Trek is their engine rooms look like a plumbing nightmare. That and the lens flare, lol.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And you rarely see "rates" swabbing decks...doing routine maint....etc. most people are either just standing around or walking down a corridor.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And you rarely see "rates" swabbing decks...doing routine maint....etc. most people are either just standing around or walking down a corridor.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

In TOS, especially, you saw almost nobody who wasn't an officer, for that matter. Maybe some odd folks in engineering jumpsuits or something like that, but pretty much everyone had at least ensign's stripes...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In TOS, especially, you saw almost nobody who wasn't an officer, for that matter. Maybe some odd folks in engineering jumpsuits or something like that, but pretty much everyone had at least ensign's stripes...

Well, lowest rank on a Klingon ship is ensign. Well, other than 'cadet'. :D
And in TWOK we saw lots of Star Fleet cadets...Scotty's nephew for example.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This was something I never noticed until it was pointed out in this video:

Is it something unique to the Federation Star Ship that no chair will have a back too high for Commander Riker to swing his leg over?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, lowest rank on a Klingon ship is ensign. Well, other than 'cadet'. :D
And in TWOK we saw lots of Star Fleet cadets...Scotty's nephew for example.

At that point, Enterprise was a cadet training vessel which then-Admiral Kirk pressed into active service. The nearest modern comparison I'm familiar with is the USCGC Eagle.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Besides filling in the Captain's Log...does a Federation Captain have ANY administrative paperwork to do?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Besides filling in the Captain's Log...does a Federation Captain have ANY administrative paperwork to do?

It's so far in the future that government doesn't have bureaucracy....:eek:

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Well... Kirk was always signing those "clipboards" that various yeomen brought him. (Anybody remember a guy delivering one? I think Avery Brooks did when then messed with Trouble with Tribbles in DS9... but that doesn't really count.)

Latest Discussions