Movie Season 2013

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Star Trek: Into Darkness
After Earth
Now you See Me (the one about the kids who use "magic" to rob banks)
World War Z
Wolverine
The Internship looks funny.
The Lone Ranger could be terrible, or it could be okay. Trailers are pretty good.
Pacific Rim is also looking pretty good. Guillermo Del Toro and giant robots.
Elysium could also be a surprise hit.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man of Steel...Chris Nolan and Zack Snyder...could be pretty good.

Wolverine doesn't look that good...I hope to be surprised.

World War Z has had a lot of bad rumors...we'll see...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This could've been much better.
Agreed, but it wasn't bad. I think that the first two were better movies.

Man of Steel...Chris Nolan and Zack Snyder...could be pretty good.
Zack Snyder's movies are visually stunning, but tend to lack any kind of substance at all. Sucker Punch and 300 were both like watching all of the cut scenes from a video game strung together, without getting to actually play the game. Very disappointing. I'll see the movie at some point, but whether I see it in theaters or wait for Netflix will depend upon the reviews.
Wolverine doesn't look that good...I hope to be surprised.
This one could be great, if it's sufficiently gritty. I haven't heard whether it's PG13 or R. I'd say, if it's R, that's a good sign.
World War Z has had a lot of bad rumors...we'll see...
Haven't heard much about this one yet, other than that it has a huge budget.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think adding Chris Nolan to the Man of Steel equation may make a difference...I'll see it and let you know...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think adding Chris Nolan to the Man of Steel equation may make a difference...I'll see it and let you know...

Nolan has stated in interviews that this is very much a Zack Snyder film. But I'll look forward to your review.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw Iron Man 3....a good redbox movie...

needed more suit action...I can understand Don Cheadle and Robert Downey wanting a lot of screen time outside of the suits...but it is called Iron Man for a reason. It would be like Superman not wanting to use his super powers...for 90% of the movie, and then throwing in a bunch just at the end.

I wanted to like the first Star Trek film...but the problem is they don't understand the military. Putting Kirk in charge of the Enterprise before he ever graduated from the academy, let alone served on other ships...was too much of a stretch. The rebel without a cause attitude of Kirk in the beginning was kind of unreal as well...for someone to get into the academy.

I hope the next one is better, but the Brit. has already made politically disparaging remarks so there isn't a lot of hope there for this to be better than the first movie.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I saw Iron Man 3....a good redbox movie...

needed more suit action...I can understand Don Cheadle and Robert Downey wanting a lot of screen time outside of the suits...but it is called Iron Man for a reason. It would be like Superman not wanting to use his super powers...for 90% of the movie, and then throwing in a bunch just at the end.

I wanted to like the first Star Trek film...but the problem is they don't understand the military. Putting Kirk in charge of the Enterprise before he ever graduated from the academy, let alone served on other ships...was too much of a stretch. The rebel without a cause attitude of Kirk in the beginning was kind of unreal as well...for someone to get into the academy.

I hope the next one is better, but the Brit. has already made politically disparaging remarks so there isn't a lot of hope there for this to be better than the first movie.
I agree. I also thought it was really odd that Spock ejected his prisoner, Kirk, likely at the time sentencing him to death, had not a convenient Deus Ex Machina appeared in the form of Future Spock.

I will admit, though, that i was able to forgive the movie it's many flaws. For whatever reason, I enjoyed it, warts and all. I'm looking forward to the second attempt. I don't know anything about Cumberbatch, other than that he was a pretty decent Sherlock Holmes.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Agreed.

I wanted to like the first Star Trek film...but the problem is they don't understand the military. Putting Kirk in charge of the Enterprise before he ever graduated from the academy, let alone served on other ships...was too much of a stretch.

Agreed!

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is the concept of suspending disbelief. I go to a movie to be entertained and I'm perfectly willing to let the movies premises supersede reality to achieve that. I thought Iron Man 3 had some great 3D moments (one puts you inside a projection of brain circuitry). Another movie that looks promising is the latest iteration of the "Fast and Furious" franchise.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Star Trek as a franchise was never exactly strict about the military structures... I think the best you could say is that Star Fleet is a loosely paramilitary organization with some resemblance to current naval structures...

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, but would you hand over a starship with the destructive power of the Enterprise to a troublemaking junior at starfleet academy?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
True, but would you hand over a starship with the destructive power of the Enterprise to a troublemaking junior at starfleet academy?
Also, don't forget that Kirk wasn't just a troublemaking cadet. He was a cadet who had been grounded due to an active investigation for a potential integrity violation and not a member of the crew at all. His appointment as first officer was completely unbelievable.

The script was very, very flawed.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's funny...you would think that with all the money spent on these big blockbusters that things like that would be fixed. Just asking a guy in the military would go a long way to helping out with that...

FinneganSquad

White Belt
Reaction score
OK my friend told me about Deadly Crossing with Steven Seagal and I got it from Red Box last night. It's AWESOME. The fight scenes are classic 80's style action and the aikido moves Elijah Kane puts on bad guys are legendary.

If you think Seagal's stuff has sucked lately (it has), Deadly Crossing is much more like his older stuff like Under Siege, which is a classic as well.

I'm gonna win some MMA gloves at this facebook Seagal contest, too! https://www.facebook.com/DeadlyCrossingMovie/app_366745986767245

Latest Discussions