Star Trek... military nuttiness...

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple other things springing to mind...

Space battles & lasers. We've got ships traveling at multiples of the speed of light, shooting light beams at each other? (I know, that's part of the justification in the Trek universe for the photon torpedoes, though they never really seemed to hold fast to that rule...)
Didn't they have to drop out of warp drive to fire?
In Abrams's movie... Kirk & Sulu are falling over Vulcan. Chekhov sprints from the bridge to a transporter room, managing to take over & lock onto them before they hit the ground? How high up were they? How fast is Chekhov, anyway?
The easy answer is you make up some sort of inertial dampener; evolved from the tractor beam.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And where did he teleport their momentum to?

The same place they always teleport it to, since there is always going to be a huge differential between the surface and the orbiting ship. Compared to that, the difference between standing on the surface or freefalling is negligible.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Couple other things springing to mind...

Space battles & lasers. We've got ships traveling at multiples of the speed of light, shooting light beams at each other? (I know, that's part of the justification in the Trek universe for the photon torpedoes, though they never really seemed to hold fast to that rule...)

In Abrams's movie... Kirk & Sulu are falling over Vulcan. Chekhov sprints from the bridge to a transporter room, managing to take over & lock onto them before they hit the ground? How high up were they? How fast is Chekhov, anyway?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Pavel_Chekov_(alternate_reality)

According to his dossier at the official Star Trek movie website, Chekov was top of his class in stellar cartography and transporter theory, an expert in advanced theoretical physics, and the youngest cadet in history to win the Starfleet Academy marathon.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And what....no Marines?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Klingon Marines names usually start with M. M'altz from ST3 was probably the ships marine officer.
Klingon ships tend to have compliments of Marines for boarding actions. Babylon 5 had an episode or 2 that also involved them. I believe the redo Galactica series had them as well.

We can also talk mercs, and Hammer's Slammers had the best big toys. :D

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Drakes Lt. Leary series.....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And where did he teleport their momentum to?

[h=1]4 Science Lessons from the New Star Trek Movie[/h]
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/digital/fact-vs-fiction/4316608

Transporters compensate for motion, inertia, and the differences in little things like planet rotations. If they didn't, people would go splat as soon as they were done sparkling.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskScienceF...trek_does_a_transporter_arrest_all_motion_or/

A more important question is, are you still alive after transporting? ;)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Klingon Marines names usually start with M. M'altz from ST3 was probably the ships marine officer.
Klingon ships tend to have compliments of Marines for boarding actions. Babylon 5 had an episode or 2 that also involved them. I believe the redo Galactica series had them as well.

We can also talk mercs, and Hammer's Slammers had the best big toys. :D

I know why they do it, but as was mentioned upthread, the Captain and all the senior command (and the random red shirts of course) always beaming down is a bit of a military stretch.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know why they do it, but as was mentioned upthread, the Captain and all the senior command (and the random red shirts of course) always beaming down is a bit of a military stretch.

Transporters were a big problem for the writers of TOS. In theory, transporters would get the characters out of a jam every time. They had to contrive reasons why the transporters would fail so that they could leave the command element on planet long enough to have a story. They were also thorough enough in their development that they assigned a purpose for every button on the console so that the characters motions would not be random. They actually developed the Klingon language so that dialogue would have a natural flow and be consistent. So for all the quasi-science; they had a few good concepts with regards to producing a show with a consistent internal reality. There was one anecdote about a new director telling George Takai to push a certain button on the console during a scene. Takai kept refusing to do it and the exasperated director finally asked him why and Takai's response was "If I push that button, I'll blow up the Enterprise!". For a show with very limited production values, they made amazing strides in special effects and TV Sci Fi production. Source; "The Making of Star Trek"

Last edited:
OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gee... but that still doesn't list world class sprinter in Chekov's dossier!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The TOS Enterprise had several transporter rooms and at least 1 was located close to the bridge to facilitate emergency beam offs of the crew.. I can't imagine the new one not having multiples either. He wouldn't have had to run far.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Transporters were a big problem for the writers of TOS. In theory, transporters would get the characters out of a jam every time. They had to contrive reasons why the transporters would fail so that they could leave the command element on planet long enough to have a story. They were also thorough enough in their development that they assigned a purpose for every button on the console so that the characters motions would not be random. They actually developed the Klingon language so that dialogue would have a natural flow and be consistent. So for all the quasi-science; they had a few good concepts with regards to producing a show with a consistent internal reality. There was one anecdote about a new director telling George Takai to push a certain button on the console during a scene. Takai kept refusing to do it and the exasperated director finally asked him why and Takai's response was "If I push that button, I'll blow up the Enterprise!". For a show with very limited production values, they made amazing strides in special effects and TV Sci Fi production. Source; "The Making of Star Trek"

I've heard a story that they actually got contacted about some gadget or other (maybe the diagnostic bed) demanding that they identify the person who leaked the experimental design! And a building engineer wanted to know the secret to the sliding doors that opened just right. Unfortunately, for that one... They had to fess up that their "secret" was a guy with a string out of camera!

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard a story that they actually got contacted about some gadget or other (maybe the diagnostic bed) demanding that they identify the person who leaked the experimental design! And a building engineer wanted to know the secret to the sliding doors that opened just right. Unfortunately, for that one... They had to fess up that their "secret" was a guy with a string out of camera!

For a series that lasted two seasons, the original Star Trek had remarkable impact. It sparked the interest of the scientific community and they apparently had frequent technical assistance from some of the best minds of their day. When you look at some of the routine technology of today (motion detector operated doors, sinks, toilets, personal communicators that are actually small computers, mine can even do EKGs, high definition video conferencing, satellite assisted navigation, memory sticks that can be placed in a computer) I find it hard to believe that at least some of the technology didn't have it's seminal influence from the creative concepts in the show.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was 3 seasons. You have insulted the honor of the original series! We must meet on the field of honor and duel in the traditional Trekker way!

Trivia contest while hoping the few girls at the con notice and are attracted to our nerdiness.

:D

(Yeah, I'm old school but can laugh at my nerdiness)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Star Trek was an inspirational series, true enough. Quirks and idiosyncrasies aside, it caused there to be more scientists and engineers, which is a good thing if you want a technological society :).

We used to play Star Trek a lot when we were at Primary School (under eleven) and it has struck me before how the roles we took on in our games had at least some formative effects on our careers. I used to play Kirk most of the time and it was my aim to be an officer in the Royal Navy (I got diverted from that by parental fiat but it's still what I wanted). The chap who used to play Bones didn't go on to be a doctor but he did become a biologist. The lad who played Spock became a physicist and the one who played Scotty did go on to be a mechanical engineer :D.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It was 3 seasons. You have insulted the honor of the original series! We must meet on the field of honor and duel in the traditional Trekker way!

Trivia contest while hoping the few girls at the con notice and are attracted to our nerdiness.

:D

(Yeah, I'm old school but can laugh at my nerdiness)

You are correct sir. I forgot the write in campaign got them an additional season. I would concede but then I might miss the chance to impress a girl with my nerdiness :barf:

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Star Trek was an inspirational series, true enough. Quirks and idiosyncrasies aside, it caused there to be more scientists and engineers, which is a good thing if you want a technological society :).

We used to play Star Trek a lot when we were at Primary School (under eleven) and it has struck me before how the roles we took on in our games had at least some formative effects on our careers. I used to play Kirk most of the time and it was my aim to be an officer in the Royal Navy (I got diverted from that by parental fiat but it's still what I wanted). The chap who used to play Bones didn't go on to be a doctor but he did become a biologist. The lad who played Spock became a physicist and the one who played Scotty did go on to be a mechanical engineer :D.

As they would say on The Next Generation- "Make it so!"

Latest Discussions