Split from Christianity and Self-Defense article topic

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Although I have not found anything that states what a Jew converting to another religion would be considered, the fact that under certain circumstances (depending on which orthodoxy of Judaism you are referring to) you need not practice or obey the laws of the Torah to be considered a Jew.

I see, when I tell you that, it's boulderdash but if a website tells you that it's true... nice talking with you, sir.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I see, when I tell you that, it's boulderdash but if a website tells you that it's true... nice talking with you, sir.

When the sites that I use quote the actual relevent religious texts, I will make the assumption that they are correct, unless shown otherwise. Beside, would it have been better if I had said Rabbi Smavick told me.

Besides, what you said was that it was your "understanding", ie., what someone told you. At least this way you can check my sources.

Why not, instead of complaining, you show me contradictory evidence?

Last edited:

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Contradictory to what?! Your post and source confirmed what I had told you that you previously called boulderdash.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Contradictory to what?! Your post and source confirmed what I had told you that you previously called boulderdash.

But if you turn your back on the Jewish faith and culture, you forfeit being jewish.

Where in all of my citations does it say that? In fact, my reading of them says quite the opposite.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it possible that the Jewish diaspora in reality is not best described by a a description a couple sentences long?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Church recognizes most Christian marriages (and others, such as a civil ceremony with a JP) as marriages that can be convalidated by the Church. But, sparing a diosesal dispensation, a marriage outside the Church is not valid (and the Catholic(s) in the marriage cannot receive the Eucharist) until the marriage has been convalidated by a priest.

The odds were heavily stacked against me, but I managed to pull it off :)
Perhaps the fact that the priest didn't know me had something to do with it.
I got married in the US. The service was performed by rev. Warren Kessler. We validated our marriage for the Belgian law, but not before the catholic church.

Personally, I think that if the Catholic teachings are valid, then God already knows I am married. I never saw much need for going through the middle management.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got married in the US. The service was performed by rev. Warren Kessler. We validated our marriage for the Belgian law, but not before the catholic church.

Personally, I think that if the Catholic teachings are valid, then God already knows I am married. I never saw much need for going through the middle management.

Oh you sneaky devil you! ;) You and your wife do a lot better job with your marriage than I did with mine. Props for that, regardless of your standing within Canon law. :lol:

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to remember when looking up Jewish sites, rabbis etc for an opinion is that its going to be just that, an opinion. There is no ultimate authority who decides exactly what anything means or who can make a ruling. Theres is no equivilant to a Pope who says what is final so every thing a rabbi says is something that they themselves think which could be quite contradictory to what another rabbi says. Remember arguing about the law makes sure the law is always relevant to the times, Jewish law is a living entity not a dead one.
I think its something that non Jews find confusing, that we can have so many different views but the same beliefs.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

When my wife and I got married, we got to involve 3 dioceses. My uncle was a Benedictine priest in Illinois; I live in Virginia, she lived in Missouri, and we were married in Missouri. I'm Catholic; she's not. We completed marriage prep here in Virginia (except for some parts she did in Missouri...)

I needed to have my bishop sign off on the mixed marriage; we had to be sure the marriage prep documentation got sent to the diocese in Missouri, who also had to sign off on that... and on my uncle performing the ceremony. My uncle also needed permission from the bishop and the abbot... And we had to make sure he could legally marry us, too!

Lots of fun... but at the same time, it was all quite doable. Some if it was almost routine (getting approval for the mixed marriage, for example), some of it took a little bit of time and some research on the priest doing the bulk of our marriage prep.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Excuse me? I am not prejudice against Christians nor will I tolerate the implication that I am. I have simply noted what all but one of my interactions with them has been. Because of this I have formed an opinion about their organisation/institution not about parishioners/adherents/faithful that I don't personally know or have met.

Your post say otherwise about being prejudice about Christians, including this post I am quoting... At least you present yourself that way...

Christians can't even agree amongst themselves what Christianity really is or who a Christian is. Protestants call Catholics, LDS, JW non-christians. Evangelicals call non evangelicals non-christians. Catholics regard non-catholics as a dead branch. At least the different sects of Judaism still regard each-other as Jews!

Actually the Protestant faiths I have experienced (Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Lutheran, Presbyterian, etc.) do not call Catholics non-Christians. They do LDS and JW. However, JW doesn't consider themselves Christian, not sure why you and other Jewish folks on this forum think they do? Catholics, by their faith base, do not consider non-Catholic Christians a dead branch. Some individuals may, but the faith does not. We still consider other Christian based faiths Christians...

But some of the different sects of Judaism do consider other sects to be Jewish in "race", but not in faith..

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your post say otherwise about being prejudice about Christians, including this post I am quoting... At least you present yourself that way...

Actually the Protestant faiths I have experienced (Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Lutheran, Presbyterian, etc.) do not call Catholics non-Christians. They do LDS and JW. However, JW doesn't consider themselves Christian, not sure why you and other Jewish folks on this forum think they do? Catholics, by their faith base, do not consider non-Catholic Christians a dead branch. Some individuals may, but the faith does not. We still consider other Christian based faiths Christians...

But some of the different sects of Judaism do consider other sects to be Jewish in "race", but not in faith..

To be honest we tend not to delve too much into the various Christian denominations, few I think Jewish or Christian have that much time to spare! I know a little about the Eastern Orthodox churches because I have been reading about Byzantium recently. I broadly assume I suppose that any church with Jesus in is Christian. Usually though I just think of them all as goyim.
I'm not sure we have sects as such, it's more like different families. Some relatives you agree with some you don't, a couple you might not stand but when push comes to shove we are all the same family and we will close ranks against criticism from outside. As in most families criticism from inside is fine as are differences but it doesn't get taken well from outsiders. :)

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ah, you see I'm being reprimanded already for making a little personal attack lo.l As a peron of faith no less I shouldn't make attacks. Who says not? You attack me sunshine I'll attack back usually better. You mistake me for a Christian sir, I turn no other cheek.
Faith, I don't have faith, I don't believe in G-d, I know theres a G-d so whether others do or not doesn't bother me. I like people for who they are not what religion, if any, they follow.

You are using schematics here. You know there is a G-d based on your faith that there is a G-d. I can say the same thing as I KNOW there is a G-d and that Jesus was the Messiah He sent to us... But it is based on faith, in both of our cases.

Jehovahs Witnesses are as Christian as any other Christian religion.

No, they actually are not... THEY even say they are not...

The use of the word Xtian has been discussed on here before, I'm off on nights but will try to find the link. It was pointed out by Christians that in fact this is correct and isn't an insult or demeaning but goes back to the Greek/Latin ( sorry can't remember which) I believe. Have quickly googled and found this so it's not insulting.
http://xtians.org/

In all of my studies, including in Greek and Latin, it was not and is not acceptable to most main line Christian belief systems. If you put Xtians, XMas, you are taking Christ out of the equation which is not acceptable to most Christians. It is offensive to me, and many people I asked about it of this past two weeks... It feels to me as if you (general you, not you specifically) are afraid to say Christ in such things as it might be real, and you don't want to make it real... And because someone creates a web site called xtians.org doesn't make it not insulting. It just means the people that created that web site (and if you log in and dig into their site, it is not overly Christian centric) felt that using that name was acceptable.

You can write G-d however you like, we write it that way for a reason as Canuck says which is nothing to do with computers, your writing it any way you want isn't disrespectful to us. Write it how you usually do.

Post up the names please of these rabbis who are trying to convert non Jews, we should be able to ask them the whys and wherefores.

I don't have their contact info on this computer, but when I get my other laptop back I will. :) (Not sure why it matters though....)

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are using schematics here. You know there is a G-d based on your faith that there is a G-d. I can say the same thing as I KNOW there is a G-d and that Jesus was the Messiah He sent to us... But it is based on faith, in both of our cases.

No, they actually are not... THEY even say they are not...

In all of my studies, including in Greek and Latin, it was not and is not acceptable to most main line Christian belief systems. If you put Xtians, XMas, you are taking Christ out of the equation which is not acceptable to most Christians. It is offensive to me, and many people I asked about it of this past two weeks... It feels to me as if you (general you, not you specifically) are afraid to say Christ in such things as it might be real, and you don't want to make it real... And because someone creates a web site called xtians.org doesn't make it not insulting. It just means the people that created that web site (and if you log in and dig into their site, it is not overly Christian centric) felt that using that name was acceptable.

I don't have their contact info on this computer, but when I get my other laptop back I will. :) (Not sure why it matters though....)

Well I'm just going by what other Christians have said on MT, call yourselves what you like.
You don't really have much of a sense of humour where this is concerned do you? It's an old joke saying Jews know there's a god etc etc, perhaps American comedians don't tell it. Why would we be bothered about saying Christ? that's a rather old pagan belief isn't it, whereby you say a word and it makes something real?
I can say a lot of words too such as Buddha, Allah, Ganesha, Garuda, Hanuman etc and am quite happy with it. I say them with equal respect too as I would anyone's gods.

Why does it matter that we'd like the names of the rabbis concerned? Well, we'd like to see all the circumstances of the stories so we can make a proper evalutaion rather than just how you perceive it.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm just going by what other Christians have said on MT, call yourselves what you like.
You don't really have much of a sense of humour where this is concerned do you? It's an old joke saying Jews know there's a god etc etc, perhaps American comedians don't tell it. Why would we be bothered about saying Christ? that's a rather old pagan belief isn't it, whereby you say a word and it makes something real?
I can say a lot of words too such as Buddha, Allah, Ganesha, Garuda, Hanuman etc and am quite happy with it. I say them with equal respect too as I would anyone's gods.

Why does it matter that we'd like the names of the rabbis concerned? Well, we'd like to see all the circumstances of the stories so we can make a proper evalutaion rather than just how you perceive it.

Actually I do have a sense of humor... Even when talking about this subject... But, to be told my faith is insulting another faith, then have people of that faith do the same to mine, I thought I'd point it out...

No, a word doesn't make something real, at least to me, which has me wondering why an X had to be put in place of a word instead of using that word? If not for pagan reasons, was it laziness? Or was it an attempt to insult? (I felt the latter for what it was worth...)

I will get their contact info for you soon. :)

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK, i'll break my exile for this one.

I use X because I will not write the name of another god. for similar reasons thjat I will not enter a non-Jewish place of worship.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, i'll break my exile for this one.

I use X because I will not write the name of another god. for similar reasons thjat I will not enter a non-Jewish place of worship.

Now you see? Canuck and I have different views on this, I'll quite happily go round anyone's elses place of worship though it's as a tourist*, I don't worship anywhere else. I don't mind saying anyones gods name either but our core beliefs, our religion is the same one. We may debate with each other about this but we are in agreement still. It's one of the best things for me about Judaism, that free choice is allowed.
People shouldn't assume things about Judaism, they shouldn't assume either that because of things we do and believe we are out to insult anyone else.
Of course if you are looking to be insulted and to find insults in people's writings there's no help for it.

*In the UK and Europe we have beautiful Norman and older cathedrals which if you appreciate old buildings and history are a must see. I don't mean I traipse into modern churches lol! I was in Gloucester Cathedral (over 900 years old) the other weekend, it's one I hadn't seen, it's a wonderful building. We also have York Minster (first built in 623 CE) just down the road from us. Visiting these places isn't an act of worship or really anything to do with religion as such.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeshua ben Yosef's title was written in Greek as Χριστος. Accordingly, Xp and Xt have been used as formal, respectful abbreviations for that title since long before there was an English language. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle has it in "English" as far back as 1021. It is only recently that it has fallen out of favor as a way of referring to him. Personally, if I were one of his followers, I'd be more up in arms about the change of his actual name to be nigh homophonic with flourescent orange snack crackers than over a proper abbreviation of his title, but that's just me.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jehovahs Witnesses are as Christian as any other Christian religion.

Forgot you'd said this, thought I'd add my .02.

The J.W.'s aren't "Christian". They do not believe that Jesus is the son of God.

Amongst several other reasons, they are not a "Christian" sect.

Your Brother
John

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Where in all of my citations does it say that? In fact, my reading of them says quite the opposite.

"Inactive" jews are not turning their back on their culture. I know lots of "inactive" Christians that still identify as as such. Because the religion accounts for so much of their culture if they convert to another religion they HAVE at that point turned their back on their culture. They are an apostate for lack of a better word.

If all Jew's converted to Christianity, then Judaism would no longer exist. And therefore Jews would not exist. That has been the whole point this entire time. And it is the goal of Christianity to convert EVERYONE is it not?

Latest Discussions