Word to the wise: Thieves targeting GPS units to rob homes

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just an FYI..if you keep a GPS unit in your car along with a garage-door opener, you're essentially saying "Here is where I live, and here is the key to my house. Please come rob me."

http://micurl.com/fszCw

Police nab Metro Detroit men accused of stealing GPS units, garage door openers to target homes

By The Associated Press

December 07, 2009, 10:01AM

Authorities say they have arrested two men responsible for dozens of burglaries in southeastern Michigan and northern Ohio.

Police said during October and November, the 23-year-old suspects from Michigan stole GPS and garage-door remote control units from vehicles, used programmed information to find the victims' homes, then broke in.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's an easy solution regarding the GPS: set your home address as somewhere conveniently close, that you know the way home from... but not your home address.

But... think this through for a minute. How many items in your car have your address on them? In most states, you must have a registration card or similar document in the car. Your insurance card may list your address.

You could, I suppose, carry your garage door opener with you every time you go shopping... Maybe workable for a woman with a purse; not too convenient for a guy. Lock it in the glove box? Yeah... but that probably won't last long, because it's inconvenient. You should move the GPS from open observation, just as you would any other valuable item. But you may still have an issue with the suction cup ring left behind or the mount itself being a give-away.

I've actually been watching for this to happen; this is the first documented instance I can find. The truth is that, most of the time, when someone steals a GPS, they're looking to sell it quick. They want money... not to do a burglary. But... if you do have a GPS stolen -- especially if paired with the theft of keys or garage door openers or similar items that let you into your house, or if you have those sorts of items stolen in the first place! -- take the extra security step to change the opener code/frequency. Most will let you do this, in case the one it's set to in the box turns out to improbably match your neighors. If keys are stolen, re-key the doors.

And... since it's that time of year for those of us in the USA... don't leave your car unlocked and running. (In fact, don't leave your car unlocked... I've got 40+ cases of larcenies from auto where the cars were left unlocked, and several stolen cars left open with keys in them on my desk!) Don't leave valuables in plain sight when you're out shopping. LOCK YOUR CAR when you're out shopping.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every single time I take a call at work, from someone who says their car was broken into and a GPS taken, I feel like saying to them, "Umm...are you that ****ing stupid?????" I mean really, its amazing how dumb some people are, especially with the economy and times being worse, that they'd leave GPS, cell phones, laptops, cameras, and other electronic stuff, in plain sight. And really the economy doesnt play that big a part. Anyone looking for a quick trade for drugs, will target cars with stuff in the open.

I have a GPS, and use it when I'm going on a long trip or even to areas that I'm not familiar with. However, it either comes in with me or it goes into hiding. Not saying that my car won't be broken into anyways, but if someone walks by and sees nothing, vs. walks by and sees a visible GPS, chances are that car will be hit before mine.

I've also heard about people advising to wipe your windshield due to the suction cup leaving a mark. Any precautions you can take, to avoid future headache later is well worth it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's an easy solution regarding the GPS: set your home address as somewhere conveniently close, that you know the way home from... but not your home address.

But... think this through for a minute. How many items in your car have your address on them? In most states, you must have a registration card or similar document in the car. Your insurance card may list your address.

You could, I suppose, carry your garage door opener with you every time you go shopping... Maybe workable for a woman with a purse; not too convenient for a guy. Lock it in the glove box? Yeah... but that probably won't last long, because it's inconvenient. You should move the GPS from open observation, just as you would any other valuable item. But you may still have an issue with the suction cup ring left behind or the mount itself being a give-away.

I've actually been watching for this to happen; this is the first documented instance I can find. The truth is that, most of the time, when someone steals a GPS, they're looking to sell it quick. They want money... not to do a burglary. But... if you do have a GPS stolen -- especially if paired with the theft of keys or garage door openers or similar items that let you into your house, or if you have those sorts of items stolen in the first place! -- take the extra security step to change the opener code/frequency. Most will let you do this, in case the one it's set to in the box turns out to improbably match your neighors. If keys are stolen, re-key the doors.

And... since it's that time of year for those of us in the USA... don't leave your car unlocked and running. (In fact, don't leave your car unlocked... I've got 40+ cases of larcenies from auto where the cars were left unlocked, and several stolen cars left open with keys in them on my desk!) Don't leave valuables in plain sight when you're out shopping. LOCK YOUR CAR when you're out shopping.

True, true, true. Anything you can do...such as lock the damn doors, to make it more difficult is a good thing. Amazing the number of people that report their car stolen.....and it was unlocked with the keys still in it. How..how can anyone be that dumb and lazy?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True, true, true. Anything you can do...such as lock the damn doors, to make it more difficult is a good thing. Amazing the number of people that report their car stolen.....and it was unlocked with the keys still in it. How..how can anyone be that dumb and lazy?

Those 'thefts' are often cars that are left in that condition by the owners who are behind on payments and hoping they'll be stolen so they don't have to pay them off. The new economy has bred many such creative solutions.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back in the stone age when we didn't have GPS units, car thieves found out where we lived the old fashioned way, by looking at the car registration. The GPS just makes it faster to find one's house.

GPS units do have a security lock that one can apply. You enter a PIN when the unit starts, that way your private data is practiacally inaccessible should it fall in to the wrong hands. But that still does not hide the fact that most (if not all) states mandate that the place of garaging be written on the car's reg.

Perhaps a better tactic is understanding the risk posed by an electronic garage door opener, and taking the proper precautions, such as installing the same precautions (deadbolt lock, etc) on the door to the garage as one would do to the front door, not storing valuables in the garage when possible, and disabling (or having someone disable) the opener as soon as humanly possible after the remote falls in to the wrong hands.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps a better tactic is understanding the risk posed by an electronic garage door opener, and taking the proper precautions, such as installing the same precautions (deadbolt lock, etc) on the door to the garage as one would do to the front door, not storing valuables in the garage when possible, and disabling (or having someone disable) the opener as soon as humanly possible after the remote falls in to the wrong hands.

Or you can quit being lazy and open your garage by hand.

:)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those 'thefts' are often cars that are left in that condition by the owners who are behind on payments and hoping they'll be stolen so they don't have to pay them off. The new economy has bred many such creative solutions.

Agreed. People will certainly do some shady stuff to avoid paying for something.

Latest Discussions