Spiritual Explorers in the Art of Peace

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a short documentary for those of us who love the harmonious aspects of aikido
ā€œAs soon as you concern yourself with the "good" and "bad" of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weakens and defeats you" - Morihei Ueshiba

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
These quotes are often misleading without their context. I don't know about the original but this is a translation by John Stevens, who is known for translating very liberally and through his worldview as a Zen priest, while Morihei Ueshiba himself disliked Zen.

In fact, the quote runs counter to Ueshiba's actions:

"Once I dragged two leaders of the religion by the collar and took them home about midnight. They begged me not to take them like that, but I told them I found their opinions to be really rubbish and took them home. I had many matches, but was never beaten. There was a time when I went around carrying a bamboo sword." - Morihei Ueshiba, 1956: A provocative interview with Morihei Ueshiba ā€“ Aikido Journal

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
These quotes are often misleading without their context. I don't know about the original but this is a translation by John Stevens, who is known for translating very liberally and through his worldview as a Zen priest, while Morihei Ueshiba himself disliked Zen.

In fact, the quote runs counter to Ueshiba's actions:

"Once I dragged two leaders of the religion by the collar and took them home about midnight. They begged me not to take them like that, but I told them I found their opinions to be really rubbish and took them home. I had many matches, but was never beaten. There was a time when I went around carrying a bamboo sword." - Morihei Ueshiba, 1956: A provocative interview with Morihei Ueshiba ā€“ Aikido Journal
Yes, I have shared that interview on the forum previously. Morhei Ueshiba was clearly a contradictory character. Aikido is a modern martial art and the main purpose in posting was to share the video. There are currently a small selection of people who are determined to tarnish the way aikido has evolved over the years. Times change and life moves on. Morihei Ueshiba is long dead, and may well have had mixed-up and confused loyalties, but I am not concerned about such things. Aikido is a living, evolving practice which brings value to many people throughout the world. The video is inspiring and worthy of your time, especially if you enjoy the harmonious and spiritual aspects of aikido ;)

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
But then, why the quote in the original post?
Because this quote relates perfectly to the video in question and the philosophy which they promote. I could just as easily ask why you chose to share the particular quote from the provocative article as a response.

You mention quotes can be misleading without the context. If you read the interview from which you cropped the quote, it is difficult to understand the timeframe in which this event happened. In fact, they are plenty of instances within the interview where he speaks about harmony and the need for peace and cooperation - here are two examples:

ā€œThe beautiful form of heaven and earth is a manifestation of a single family created by the gods.9ā€ We should become a single family spiritually and make an effort to improve the nation of Japan. We have to try to achieve harmony at least here in Japan. We should become good friends with one another, all taking care of each other. The foundations of this harmony is Aikido. It is this Aikido, which is the true budo. I want to get away from that hostile world where feudal lords from the past used martial arts as tools for military rule[hado (覇道), lit. a way of supremacy.].

Youā€™re talking about budo used for military rule. Kendo and Judo are said to be Japanese budo, but they are concerned with winning, arenā€™t they? Since Aikido pursues harmony, it is completely different from those arts.

Last edited:

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
My point is that Ueshiba's quotes are misleading without context, as the meaning behind his words is often radically different from the one typically ascribed to the same phrasing by a common English speaker. Pranin states it expressly in the interview:

36. Heiwa shugi
(平和äø»ē¾©), which literally means ā€œpacifismā€ but the definition of which can be somewhat different in Japan compared to what it is in the West (see another note below). [...]

43. The reader is probably getting confused at this stage with the numerous use of the word ā€œdemocracyā€. To work this out, we must first set the scene : Through Deguchi, Ueshiba was introduced to a number of Japanā€™s far-right figures, including members of ultra-nationalist groups such as the Sakurakai. Ueshiba also actually served as a bodyguard for the Sakurakaiā€™s founder Hashimoto Kingoro and meetings of the group were held at his dojo. This may sound completely at odds with Ueshibaā€™s constant references to pacifism and democracy but as I stated above, the definition of pacifism in the Japanese mind is not the same as that of the western humanist ideals. First, as Ueshiba suggested above, it is certainly not egalitarian. Also, Ueshiba and Deguchi both believed in establishing peace through a sort of benevolent dictatorship, and through the adoption by the entire world of the Japanese social structure. The ultra-nationalists had the same ideals and they were ready to accomplish this by force if necessary. I am personally unsure how far down the war path Deguchi was ready to go.

Kisshomaru Ueshiba reportedly laughed to tears when someone suggested that his father was a pacifist. Then he unambiguously stated "my father was never a pacifist". Source: Ellis Amdur: On Aikido ā€“ Aikido Journal

This is also consistent with Morihei Ueshiba's actions, chiefly his active involvement in terrorist organisations (among many other things). What Ueshiba means by "peace" and "harmony" is different from the common meaning of the word, so why quote him in this sense? And isn't it contradictory to claim that aikido is a living practice but to regularly refer to the words of its long-dead founder as wisdom?

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
My point is that Ueshiba's quotes are misleading without context, as the meaning behind his words is often radically different from the one typically ascribed to the same phrasing by a common English speaker. Pranin states it expressly in the interview:

Kisshomaru Ueshiba reportedly laughed to tears when someone suggested that his father was a pacifist. Then he unambiguously stated "my father was never a pacifist". Source: Ellis Amdur: On Aikido ā€“ Aikido Journal

This is also consistent with Morihei Ueshiba's actions, chiefly his active involvement in terrorist organisations (among many other things). What Ueshiba means by "peace" and "harmony" is different from the common meaning of the word, so why quote him in this sense? And isn't it contradictory to claim that aikido is a living practice but to regularly refer to the words of its long-dead founder as wisdom?
O'Malley, you practice Iwama-style aikido right? Do you guys spend all your time discussing all this stuff, or do you just save it for the forum?

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are interested in following the art of peace then you will enjoy the original video posted here.

Forget all about O'Malley and his constant crusade against aikido and the founder. Follow your own heart, chose your own path, and if a quote inspires you, then enjoy those words and use them to inspire others. If not, ignore them and walk on - life is too short to waste arguing with people and their need to be right about everything, and serve up the evidence to prove it :D

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
O'Malley, you practice Iwama-style aikido right? Do you guys spend all your time discussing all this stuff, or do you just save it for the forum?

If you are interested in following the art of peace then you will enjoy the original video posted here.

Forget all about O'Malley and his constant crusade against aikido and the founder. Follow your own heart, chose your own path, and if a quote inspires you, then enjoy those words and use them to inspire others. If not, ignore them and walk on - life is too short to waste arguing with people and their need to be right about everything, and serve up the evidence to prove it :D
Why the personal attacks?

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
It was a mistake to include the Morihei Ueshiba quote šŸ˜¢

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
My guess is, like some styles in Chinese martial arts, Aikido has fallen into the western view os spirituality, which it never had in the first place.

In CMA it was a mistranslation and misunderstanding of the Chinese meaning
You just summoned up the whole of Shaolin, dude. Well done. There is probably no greater paradox of peace vs violence in history. Aikido owes a lot to Chan.

The original Shaolin way was to study sutra and apply it to the mind and body. Glorified in the west, but so difficult to copy in reality. Physical and mental adeptness, through clarity of mind and constant reforging of the body.

And yeah, I think this is something people crave, but have a really hard time accomplishing. That's why it's a "discipline". It takes hard work, and time, and a way of life. It's not easy. Aikido isn't easy for the same reason, nor is Tai Chi.

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is an interview with Yoko Okamoto - she is the teacher in the original video which opened this thread:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is a short documentary for those of us who love the harmonious aspects of aikido
ā€œAs soon as you concern yourself with the "good" and "bad" of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weakens and defeats you" - Morihei Ueshiba
Good video. A lot of what was said in the video are things I've said about my own training and how I train others. Based on what I saw and understood from the video it looks like I'm on a good path. I can also see why there is some confusion with understanding Aikido.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My guess is, like some styles in Chinese martial arts, Aikido has fallen into the western view os spirituality, which it never had in the first place.

In CMA it was a mistranslation and misunderstanding of the Chinese meaning
I just typed the same observation in a conversation that. My thinking is that maybe the Peace and Harmony is looked at from a western /Christian perspective. Maybe the perspective of Aikido will change if a person looks at peace and harmony from a Japanese perspective. I know for myself that my definition of peace and harmony is not the same as the the western /Christian perspective of peace. and harmony.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

ewwww too much zen for me. lol Where are my sticks and stones? I know I have them laying around here somewhere. lol.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
and if a quote inspires you, then enjoy those words and use them to inspire others.
I'm a vegetarian. I believe human being and animal are equal. Human being can live without killing animal.

Since most people believe that human being is higher level than animal, should I use what I believe to inspire others? I may just create enemy for myself. Why should I do that for?

What you think is right, others may think differently.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a vegetarian. I believe human being and animal are equal. Human being can live without killing animal.

Since most people believe that human being is higher level than animal, should I use what I believe to inspire others? I may just create enemy for myself. Why should I do that for?
ha ha ha ha. If given an opportunity a lot of animals would kill a human lol

Latest Discussions