Some of your Taunts/secret weapons?

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so recently in a fight next to my house, I was cornered by a guy who, I will admit, I had no chance at beating. My punches did next to nothing, he responded nil to any kyusho, I had no leverage to throw him, and he was always a step ahead of my grappling. There were no weapons to secure, and I had no way to out maneuver him.

What did I resort to? My most trusted weapon of all: The tongue.
I didn't know what else to do, talking this guy out of wailing on me wasn't going to happen, so I had to resort to sarcasm.

I didn't have to worry about getting hit, I managed to avoid enough of his attacks and bend my way out of a fair amount of his locks.

So, knowing this, I tried to attack his psychology. I broke into playful insults, random conversation, and at one point broke into song.

I realize I took a heavy risk, that by angering and taunting him, I may have caused him to become more hazardous, but I had limited options, and that was the quickest one to me, and it payed off. He started to lose focus and left himself open to a lot. I didn't get to do anything flash, I took him down with a knee to the back of the thigh, which brought him to his knees, then I used an omote-gyaku (wrist throw/lock) to send him to the ground. That gave me enough time to head out and to my house, but I knew that, had I not thought quick enough to annoy him, I probably wouldn't have gotten to leave without harm. My thanks to Tom Jones' It's Not Unusual

So, my question to all of you is, what have you done? What secret weapon do you have for winning when the physical part is moot? What situations do you have that are similar to my own?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, so recently in a fight next to my house, I was cornered by a guy who, I will admit, I had no chance at beating. My punches did next to nothing, he responded nil to any kyusho, I had no leverage to throw him, and he was always a step ahead of my grappling. There were no weapons to secure, and I had no way to out maneuver him.

What did I resort to? My most trusted weapon of all: The tongue.
I didn't know what else to do, talking this guy out of wailing on me wasn't going to happen, so I had to resort to sarcasm.

I didn't have to worry about getting hit, I managed to avoid enough of his attacks and bend my way out of a fair amount of his locks.

So, knowing this, I tried to attack his psychology. I broke into playful insults, random conversation, and at one point broke into song.

I realize I took a heavy risk, that by angering and taunting him, I may have caused him to become more hazardous, but I had limited options, and that was the quickest one to me, and it payed off. He started to lose focus and left himself open to a lot. I didn't get to do anything flash, I took him down with a knee to the back of the thigh, which brought him to his knees, then I used an omote-gyaku (wrist throw/lock) to send him to the ground. That gave me enough time to head out and to my house, but I knew that, had I not thought quick enough to annoy him, I probably wouldn't have gotten to leave without harm. My thanks to Tom Jones' It's Not Unusual

So, my question to all of you is, what have you done? What secret weapon do you have for winning when the physical part is moot? What situations do you have that are similar to my own?
Mad people make mistakes. Attitude is always first.
Sean

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember some quote a while back -- forget who -- said something to the effect that there is nothing more important in relationships than attitude.

Right now I don't taunt people, that's stupid... like poking an uncaged sleeping lion with a sharp stick. You just don't do it.

I do however when being taunted and such, I warn people "you just stepped into a minefield..."

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's a great story, thanks for sharing. good thinking on your part.

my kickboxing instructor sometimes talks about getting in your opponent's head, which can be done a variety of ways. a lot of times it can be done with energy or chi or whatevr.

i've done/said some weird stuff during training, but none during a real fight. here are some examples:

"you can't hit me, i'm too pretty" (thank you muhammed ali)

blow in your opponent's ear.

say, "wait, wait, wait!" real urgently, then attack.

i've also done some singing, though i like to go with "okie from muskogee" by merle haggard.

peace,
jf

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My secret weapon is my brain. I use it to avoid getting into situations like that. I am sure if you look back at the series of events that put you into that situation next to your house it could have been avoided. Not being sarcastic or judging , just basing it from experience where I tend to look at situations after the fact and think about what decisions I made that put me in that place and if it went bad , what could I do to make sure that it doesn't happen again. If things went good , then what could I do more like that in other areas of my life. I am not talking just in reference to fighting but to life in general.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad your okay and hopefully you will not have to use your training again.
icon6.gif

Well as for secret weapons? You just need to do what works in the moment. That is what is really important so that you can go home.
icon14.gif

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
* your only weapon is your brain.... everything else is a tool

* your situation was clearly social and the guy could have probably been "tongued" out of it before the dancing started. If he was dead bent on causing you harm he probably would have just used his strength to smash your face in the wall or something. Even still, all you had to do regardless of your perceived "physical disadvantage" is poke him right in the eyes or grab his scrotum and squeeze....you could have made him sing to you.

* social situations can be solved socially.... talk punch or wrestle your way out.... use mma or child psychology, whatever floats your boat....hell, I had a guy push me as hard as he could and instead of punching him I just politely told him not to touch me or I wull tear his ear off in front of everyone.... he then apologized.... you have to know the difference between what is social and what is a-social....

*a-social situations can only be solved with immediate offensive anatomical destruction...no reasoning .... no defending

you never know.... there could have been more of his buddies ....there could have been a knife... he could have had a pit bull....

from now on you should treat evey situation offensively because you cant tongue your way out of saving your life and obviously none of your "techniques" or "martial arts" helped you against someone "bigger and stronger"........ the truth is "bigger and stronger" only apply in a social sportsman setting.... where rules of conduct and the moral contract apply.... outside of that we are all just a slab of meat....

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am glad it worked out for you. I generally don't advise taunting as a means of getting out of a fight. You usually just make them more upset. However there is something to be said for getting into someones head. You see it all of the time in Boxing. One guy taunts and demeans the other guy at every meeting before the fight. The guy shows up so pi$$ed that he losses his game plan and starts brawling and fighting the other fighters fight. The only difference is there is no referee or rules in a street fight. Making someone who already wants to knock your block off even more angry might drive him to the next step (pulling a weapon such as a knife or a gun).
It sounds like it worked but I wouldn't recommend it as a means to escape a fight. A better idea would be to avoid it before it escalates into a fight in the first place. There is always a way to avoid conflict.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I found pointing and saying 'Shoes untied" or "barn door open" worked well in junior high, but the novelty wore off soon.

I really don't go around picking fights. I have mucho better things to do in my life so I really don't come back with snappy sayings like Bruce Willis does on TV (but I have to admit Dr. House really provokes!)

As for secret weapons, I find developing fakes. Fakes like a shovel (that's a boxing technique, not a real shovel) that looks so beliveable the other guy just has to bring his elbows down to defend against it. Or a snap thrusting kick that one would swear I was going to fire, but instead I come in with a series of punches. Or the same snap kick that converts into a turn kick.

It's developing a fake that looks so real the other guy just instinctivly shields up for it. That's my secret weapon.

Deaf

Latest Discussions