Some heavy bag training.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah i guess everyones different, i have quite weak wrists so im not always confident without using wraps, like i said in my previous post though i do train without them and im usually fine.

Wraps are OK because they don't give the crutch of lining up your fist with your wrist for you by forcing it on place with the bulk of the glove. Then again it depends how much you are wrapping them, from the sounds of it though and this is just my opinion.

You can just as easily hit the bag with no protection because you already have been doing this during sparring anyways.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah i guess everyones different, i have quite weak wrists so im not always confident without using wraps, like i said in my previous post though i do train without them and im usually fine.
I say just start easy and build gradually. Don't expect to go with full power right away. Take your time, figure out the lineup both for the knuckles and the wrist.

Your wrist will collapse a few times until you figure it out. That's part of the learning process and is the reason to start out easy. Especially if you are using a heavy bag, 90 pounds and up, yes you gotta be cautious.

That's why I don't see a lot of value in dancing around and sparring with the bag. Instead, take your stand and drill your punch into the bag one at a time, one after the other. And take the time to stop the bag from swinging around in between, at least until you start to figure it out. Take your time and develop your technique. It isn't a race.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wraps are OK because they don't give the crutch of lining up your fist with your wrist for you by forcing it on place with the bulk of the glove. Then again it depends how much you are wrapping them, from the sounds of it though and this is just my opinion.

You can just as easily hit the bag with no protection because you already have been doing this during sparring anyways.
Yeah but the impact on a heavy bag if you are really working on developing your technique is a lot more that sparring. So caution is appropriate.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! Takes courage to put yourself out there like that. I work on the bag with bare hands and feet. I do not hit the way you do, it looks very strange to me. Not saying what you are doing is wrong, but we just don't generate power that way. I also don't kick like that, and definitely do not hit with the side of the foot that way. Again, not saying you're doing it wrong, it's just alien to my style.

Not going to get into an argument about efficacy of different ways of generating power, since IMO there are multiple ways to do this. But..If he's able to move a 120 pound bag like that, I assume he's generating a decent amount of power :D

About the only thing I could offer in the way of criticism is to look at your target when you hit it, not the camera. ;)

I was thinking that..I felt like he was doing it to prove a point to another user he argued with recently. Found it funny.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If that's something that concerns you, there are specific exercises to help strengthen wrists. If it's a non issue, then ignore this.
Also, as long as your technique/arm-->hand alignment is right, in theory your wrists will be fine even if they are weak.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my experience if you take your time and do it right, build the intensity, don't go too hard too quickly, the problems are minimal and avoided. A good dit da jow helps for insurance.

Using the wraps becomes a crutch, and you never figure out how to do it right vs. wrong. The wraps protect you and lie to you. Yes, they allow you to go with more intensity, but that doesn't outweigh the detriments of using them. You will never develop the wrist strength or understand the alignment needed to hit for real when you aren't wearing the wraps, if you wear them during training.

Wraps are not that restrictive. You still need proper alignment even with gloves on.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah i agree its a weird claim, im not saying it will damage your hands everyones body is different but there is a chance of injury. so long as you are aware of it its fine. common boxing injury is a fractured knuckle even with all the protection of their hands.

wrapping your wrists will allow you to hit harder though as it decreases the chance of your wrist bending backwards on itself. the added protection might make you more confident in giving it a better wallop

Sagittal Band Tear "Boxer's Knuckle"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Op. You short change yourself a bit in the one two combinations. Sit back a bit further and throw each punch.

The right hand you throw sits on the bag a bit to long. Which is making you push the bag a bit too much.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

Op. You short change yourself a bit in the one two combinations. Sit back a bit further and throw each punch.

The right hand you throw sits on the bag a bit to long. Which is making you push the bag a bit too much.

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some thoughts on form:

I don't know what style you practice, but flaring your elbows out from your body like that in your fighting stance is considered bad form in many styles - it really leaves your body open to attack.

Your punches looked like you were doing a lot more pushing than is usually optimal. Remember that you are looking for momentary impact, not shoving.

Look at the target, not the camera. That was driving me crazy watching it.

On the handwraps/gloves vs bare hands question: it's really a trade-off. Going barehanded helps condition the knuckles and exposes any problems with wrist alignment and targeting very quickly. On the other hand if you are throwing thousands of full-power punches into a heavy target every week, that can take a toll on your hands even if you have good technique and hand conditioning. That's where the wraps and gloves are useful to protect you from wear and tear. On balance, I'd probably vote for doing some bare-handed practice for technique and conditioning, but using the wraps and gloves for volume training.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

With hard strikes the bag should move some but should dance as well. When hitting the bag hard there is a fold or indention created in the bag as it is compressed from the impact; as the fist is retracted the void allows the compressed area to expand rapidly and the bag will bounce or dance and not just swing. It takes hard powerful punching to make the bag dance.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
With hard strikes the bag should move some but should dance as well. When hitting the bag hard there is a fold or indention created in the bag as it is compressed from the impact; as the fist is retracted the void allows the compressed area to expand rapidly and the bag will bounce or dance and not just swing. It takes hard powerful punching to make the bag dance.

Yeah.that post about kung fu not punching went into it a bit. It is a fine line between punching right and wrong.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some thoughts on form:

I don't know what style you practice, but flaring your elbows out from your body like that in your fighting stance is considered bad form in many styles - it really leaves your body open to attack.

Your punches looked like you were doing a lot more pushing than is usually optimal. Remember that you are looking for momentary impact, not shoving.

Look at the target, not the camera. That was driving me crazy watching it.

On the handwraps/gloves vs bare hands question: it's really a trade-off. Going barehanded helps condition the knuckles and exposes any problems with wrist alignment and targeting very quickly. On the other hand if you are throwing thousands of full-power punches into a heavy target every week, that can take a toll on your hands even if you have good technique and hand conditioning. That's where the wraps and gloves are useful to protect you from wear and tear. On balance, I'd probably vote for doing some bare-handed practice for technique and conditioning, but using the wraps and gloves for volume training.

There is a mirror along the side of the wall that I have a bad habit of glancing at to check on my form and feet positioning. It is a bad habit I am trying to break. My fighting style is mostly Kenpo with some Judo.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to keep my elbows more tucked in.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

I can do that. Next time I'll try to make that more apparent.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a mirror along the side of the wall that I have a bad habit of glancing at to check on my form and feet positioning. It is a bad habit I am trying to break. My fighting style is mostly Kenpo with some Judo.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to keep my elbows more tucked in.

Well, keep your wrist straight, and try to avoid telegraphing so much. ;)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not going to get into an argument about efficacy of different ways of generating power, since IMO there are multiple ways to do this. But..If he's able to move a 120 pound bag like that, I assume he's generating a decent amount of power :D

Nah, those were pushes.

I was thinking that..I felt like he was doing it to prove a point to another user he argued with recently. Found it funny.

Yeah, but here's the thing. If you're throwing shade with a look away kick, it shouldn't be a half-assed kick, ya know? Like the Sheriff crushing the Dixie cup in jaws. Fails to overwhelm.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
damage to the nerves in your hands, and damaging your wrists.
Not if you hit and train with the bag correctly. I've been hitting the heavy bag without gloves for so long now that I can't even remember if I have ever hit it without gloves before. Hitting it without gloves will teach you proper fist alignment and it will teach you not to swipe at the bag which is common when using gloves. Sometimes people with the worst punching techniques are often those who use gloves. They trade "excessive power" (hitting harder than what their wrist can handle) for conditioning and technique. When the gloves come off they usually end up hurting themselves.

Conditioning for the hands on heavy bag should start with soft to medium punches and gradually building up to heavier punch. Each punch should be focused on technique even when hitting hard.

I used to hit a canvas bag and am currently looking for a new one. The canvas bag will teach you not to swipe your punch meaning that any punch that isn't direct will tear the skin off your hand. I learned how to punch that bag at an angle without ripping the skin off my knuckles. I have no nerve damage, my knuckles aren't ugly like boxer knuckles.

The most common phrases in my school are "Don't punch harder than what your wrist support or handle" and "Focus on technique and not power."

Power comes with technique, not without it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
common boxing injury is a fractured knuckle even with all the protection of their hands.
The reason this happens is because they punch harder than what their hands are conditioned for.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Stopping when it hurts is key to not having nerve damage. It's important to listen to the body. I do the exact same thing and my Sifu always reminds students that we have to stop conditioning once we feel bruising.

Latest Discussions