Some heavy bag training.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
The original purpose of the video was to prove tobthe user "friedrice" that I do in fact hit the heavy bag with no gloves on. For some reason he didn't believe I could do it.

I am doing this all "bearhanded" as he put it with "bear knuckles" After punching it I decided to work on some kicks too. Any advice on my form will be taken with an open mind and great consideration as I always wish to improve.

Training.avi

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The original purpose of the video was to prove tobthe user "friedrice" that I do in fact hit the heavy bag with no gloves on. For some reason he didn't believe I could do it.

I am doing this all "bearhanded" as he put it with "bear knuckles" After punching it I decided to work on some kicks too. Any advice on my form will be taken with an open mind and great consideration as I always wish to improve.

Training.avi
People don't believe it's possible to train the heavy bag without wraps and gloves? Weird. Thanks for sharing.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that bag somewhere between 60-80 pounds? Looks like you move it pretty well when you hit it. I've got one thereabouts, tho since I moved a bit over a year ago I haven't figured out yet where to hang it. Still gotta organize my garage.

I prefer to use the bag to drill basic punching and kicking techniques, to work on the mechanics and delivery. I get the impression that is how you do it too? I'm not a fan of "sparring" with the heavy bag. I personally don't find that as useful. Just drill those techniques, one at a time, one after another after another.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
The bag is 120 pounds. And yes the track is from bloodsport.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
damage to the nerves in your hands, and damaging your wrists.
Other people (like ironbear) have argued for it because it can toughen your hands. It's a sliding scale, IMO. However, friedrice was saying not that he wouldn't advise it, but that you actually couldn't hit a heavy punching bag without gloves. Really weird claim.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
damage to the nerves in your hands, and damaging your wrists.
In my experience if you take your time and do it right, build the intensity, don't go too hard too quickly, the problems are minimal and avoided. A good dit da jow helps for insurance.

Using the wraps becomes a crutch, and you never figure out how to do it right vs. wrong. The wraps protect you and lie to you. Yes, they allow you to go with more intensity, but that doesn't outweigh the detriments of using them. You will never develop the wrist strength or understand the alignment needed to hit for real when you aren't wearing the wraps, if you wear them during training.

giggskadabra

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yeah i agree its a weird claim, im not saying it will damage your hands everyones body is different but there is a chance of injury. so long as you are aware of it its fine. common boxing injury is a fractured knuckle even with all the protection of their hands.

wrapping your wrists will allow you to hit harder though as it decreases the chance of your wrist bending backwards on itself. the added protection might make you more confident in giving it a better wallop

giggskadabra

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my experience if you take your time and do it right, build the intensity, don't go too hard too quickly, the problems are minimal and avoided. A good dit da jow helps for insurance.

Using the wraps becomes a crutch, and you never figure out how to do it right vs. wrong. The wraps protect you and lie to you. Yes, they allow you to go with more intensity, but that doesn't outweigh the detriments of using them. You will never develop the wrist strength or understand the alignment needed to hit for real, when you aren't wearing the wraps.
thats a good point, its a question of awareness vs the person vs the intensity etc etc boxers probably have more of a need to wrap because of the structure of the training and also how unpredictable the strikes can be and where they land. maybe boxers train like this too.? i dont know

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! Takes courage to put yourself out there like that. I work on the bag with bare hands and feet. I do not hit the way you do, it looks very strange to me. Not saying what you are doing is wrong, but we just don't generate power that way. I also don't kick like that, and definitely do not hit with the side of the foot that way. Again, not saying you're doing it wrong, it's just alien to my style.

About the only thing I could offer in the way of criticism is to look at your target when you hit it, not the camera. ;)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
thats a good point, its a question of awareness vs the person vs the intensity etc etc boxers probably have more of a need to wrap because of the structure of the training and also how unpredictable the strikes can be and where they land. maybe boxers train like this too.? i dont know
I don't know either, but I also have the impression that boxing gloves close the fist in an unnatural way that differs from how you would do it bare-handed. It makes the thumb point up, separate from the rest of the fist. I would never punch that way for real.

Ive also been of the understanding that the boxers fracture of the pinkie-side of the hand comes from not understanding how to line up the punch properly after always training with wraps and gloves. Again, those things protect the hand and wrist and prevent you from understanding the proper mechanics and from building the needed strength. When they punch bare-handed they hit wrong and break the hand.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! Takes courage to put yourself out there like that. I work on the bag with bare hands and feet. I do not hit the way you do, it looks very strange to me. Not saying what you are doing is wrong, but we just don't generate power that way. I also don't kick like that, and definitely do not hit with the side of the foot that way. Again, not saying you're doing it wrong, it's just alien to my style.

About the only thing I could offer in the way of criticism is to look at your target when you hit it, not the camera. ;)

I'll keep that in mind. I was using the heel of my foot as the striking surface in the kicks. It may have looked otherwise in the video or I did something wrong? Looking at my target is definitely something I need to work on though. I often look at the mirror all the time to check my form so much.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah i agree its a weird claim, im not saying it will damage your hands everyones body is different but there is a chance of injury. so long as you are aware of it its fine. common boxing injury is a fractured knuckle even with all the protection of their hands.

wrapping your wrists will allow you to hit harder though as it decreases the chance of your wrist bending backwards on itself. the added protection might make you more confident in giving it a better wallop
I completely agree with that. Personally I don't hit it barehanded anymore, or at least not hard, because I don't want to risk injuring myself. Until about 3 years ago, though, I was all far it, to me I feel like it helped and punching correctly I never did any permanent damage. At one point, I hurt my hand doing a knifehand strike and couldn't punch for a while, but it healed up fine :)

Last edited:

giggskadabra

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
quite possibly, tbh in my experience ive done some pad work with wraps and gloves and ended up with injuries but when we spar in fisticuffs and fist fighting we dont use protection and ive never had an injury (yet)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
some people would advise against doing it bare handed. for obvious reasons. i say its your body do what you will

I started out using bag gloves. Now I just use bare hands. I find it works better for me. I have not done any particular work to desensitize my hands, I just start light and work my way up, stop if I start to hurt. Uppercuts gave me the most problem at first, but now they are no problem either.

giggskadabra

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started out using bag gloves. Now I just use bare hands. I find it works better for me. I have not done any particular work to desensitize my hands, I just start light and work my way up, stop if I start to hurt. Uppercuts gave me the most problem at first, but now they are no problem either.
yeah i guess everyones different, i have quite weak wrists so im not always confident without using wraps, like i said in my previous post though i do train without them and im usually fine.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depending on the bag I use hand wraps, but only if the bag is made of a canvas like material that is rough to the touch. That is only so my skin doesn't tear and bleed all over the bag though.

Latest Discussions