Sold out from under us :(

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, we got some bad news at class the other night. It seems the Camden County, NJ, has sold the property our school sits on (it's in a 4H barn on a parcel of land) and we've got approximately 30 days left before we have to vacate.

The school has been in the same place since '92, with only one tuition raise ever (from $1 a class to $2) and nearly 50 Black Belts graduated. It is entirely run by volunteers. We have a lease with the county for the property until '17, but it would be a simple matter for the county to condemn the property and kick us out. Worse, the property was sold to the National Guard, so there's not a lot of upside to fighting them either.

Not sure what's going to happen yet, we are going to show up in force to a public hearing next week, but it does not look promising for our future, or for our students. We keep a lot of kids off the streets in Camden County, and we're hoping we can continue to, but where and how are questions.

Just felt like venting, it's a great school and this is completely out of the blue for us. We're going to fight the eviction as hard as we can, baekjool boolgool and all that, and hope for the best. I'll keep this updated as developements transpire.

peace,

jim

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow! Sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you and your group.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
4H barn?

Start looking around, friends of mine run their program out of a civic center, I do not know how much the facilities set them back, but it is a possibility.
I do not have much faith in churches (bad pun I know) but many around my area have large gyms they rent out (not cheap though) or a regular school might be able to help you out. (are you covered by the 4H?)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that. You're in my prayers for a good solution soon.

OP
jim777

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
4H barn?

Start looking around, friends of mine run their program out of a civic center, I do not know how much the facilities set them back, but it is a possibility.
I do not have much faith in churches (bad pun I know) but many around my area have large gyms they rent out (not cheap though) or a regular school might be able to help you out. (are you covered by the 4H?)

Yeah, a barn :) We built a floor into it so it's got an "upstairs". We're upstairs, and the animals are downstairs (when there are shows and events - there are no permanent residents that we know of! lol)It's a nice place, actually. It took a lot of work to build and we're all pretty proud of the place. I think at this point the tack the BB's want to take is if the County is selling the property out from under us and we have a lease, they should put us up somewhere else with the windfall they're getting. They could just give us empty land though, which would be fine enough for the horse crowd, but we need a building. We're going to fight to the extent we can, but even optimistically it's 50-50 we'll make it to June somewhere.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm, I could maybe find some horse people in the area, but for you guys...

It sucks for both parties, a new barn would set the horsey set back a bunch too.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, very sorry to hear that. :( :(

Fingers crossed for you all, I hope all goes well. :asian:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps if you contact the Guard, they're plans won't exclude your school... or at least they'll be able to give you some more time to work with...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps if you contact the Guard, they're plans won't exclude your school... or at least they'll be able to give you some more time to work with...

That would be the best first step. Usually they also have a gym so they may be inclined to help you out because of the work that you guy's do. However, if it all falls apart summer is coming so find a good park and continue to train until you can relocate to a new space. Good luck and sorry to hear about your problem!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is bad news, Jim, especially as you fellows have worked to improve the building at your own expense.

Some good suggestions above, particularly JKS's and Brian's with regard to contacting the purchaser and explaining circumstances. A sympathetic ear in the right place could be just the solution you need.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd certainly add to the "sorry" list..... but I do agree with several of the folks here that, while you can't effectively fight the National Guard long term, you may well be able to work with them. The Guard and Reserve are very community conscious, very involved - - - and in light of what you've done for young people for so long, reaching out to them early is a good starting point.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Add me to the Sorry list - I'm having to vacate as well, thought not by as forced terms as you.

I'm currently in a civic center and they want to raise the rent and eliminate contracted classes changing the structure of education available completely.

Since you're a not-for-profit, you'll have more options open - schools and churches may be able to help you.

Please keep us posted and good luck!

OP
jim777

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone :) I'll let all the students know the rest of the TKD world is pulling for them! I'll see if I can get a few pics of the place to post as well, so you can see what potential there is in a barn ;)

I'm not entirely sure if we'll actually get to speak to the Guard at any of the planned meetings, as they are sort of outside that (it's really a County thing at this point) but we'll certainly see what we can do. Whatever the Guard decides to do with the property though, it will likely include removing the barn and possibly the other 40 acres or so of woods before starting their own construction. The whole thing just came up so suddenly that we really haven't had much chance to look calmly at our options or assign folks to start tracking them down. We did get an 'out of cycle' test scheduled for the lower belts though, so hopefully they can take a new belt with them wherever they end up if worse comes to worst. Not that it will be a gimme test ;)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think on my horse forum I talked to a mom to one of your BBs.

I hear your area is pretty developed - from a horseman perspective. So you guys might have a better shot at a new home?

(it stinks if when a long term lease doesn't help you much.)

Good luck!

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Guard is made up of mostly local people and they have a chain of command. You can find who is who in the chain of command pretty easy. If you have anyone with pull as a member of your school, perhaps a pastor training with you, a lawyer that knows how to negotiate (give and take not just demand) or a teacher, somebody that has some community karma mixed with an ability to talk to someone one on one, make an appointment with the senior Guard member in your state and talk to them. The Guard is also a state militia which means that your Governor has pull, set up an appointment with your Governor and discuss the issue with them. When you go to talk to these folks have your ducks in order and lined up. Have background work, good quality pictures of the training hall with people training in it, have testimonials from students that have become business and community leaders (find the students or ex-students and ask them to write testimonials for you). Know exactly how much space you will need. Have a copy of your current lease. Go with information. Try to find out what the Guard is planning on doing with the site…if anything. Have a nice folder made up that you can give the bigwigs so they can follow along as your representative lays out your case. Include some old photo’s going back to the 90’s. This stuff will also if things do not go well make a great press packet as you take it to the people and start a letter writing campaign to the Governor if your meetings do not go well. If all goes bad some of the collected material will make a nice thank you gift to the leaders past and present of your school. Invite the Guard General or some other high ranking (think both officers and senior NCO’s) Guard member to a testing that you will be having; make them an honorary black belt perhaps. If you have a board that advises your school then by all means personally invite the local ranking Guard officer and NCO to become members of your board. Above all seek to make comrades rather than opponents. If the worst happens and you lose your barn, think of it this way, you will have a chance to make a bunch of positive contacts in your community and that along with the new found hard won knowledge and if fought correctly the new strength and bond your school members will have, then the chance of finding a new and even better home will be truly great in my opinion.
Good luck
Brian King

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this. Hope everything works out. Best of luck. Please keep us posted. :asian:

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation. In Las Vegas we have the ability to train outside and have done so on several occasions. We have trained at tracks, tennis courts, football fields or any place we could find. We have a home for now and are happy with our situation. We are all committed to tkd and will train at any location if needed. I hope that you find a home but remember it can be done even if you don't have a permanent location.

Good luck!!! We are all rooting for you!!!

Latest Discussions