Sold out from under us :(

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, we got some bad news at class the other night. It seems the Camden County, NJ, has sold the property our school sits on (it's in a 4H barn on a parcel of land) and we've got approximately 30 days left before we have to vacate.

The school has been in the same place since '92, with only one tuition raise ever (from $1 a class to $2) and nearly 50 Black Belts graduated. It is entirely run by volunteers. We have a lease with the county for the property until '17, but it would be a simple matter for the county to condemn the property and kick us out.

Add me to the "sorry to hear about your situation" list.

OK, the lawyer in me has a few questions:

You have a written lease thru 2017?

Is your group being compensated by the County for its' apparent breach of your lease?

Who is telling you that you must vacate (am assuming it is the County,not the Guard)?

Are any of your members lawyers?

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don't know how practical it is, but my thought is to reach out to the Commanding Officer, perhaps some of them can be working out with your group and lobby from the inside to keep it open, or a special National Guard defense cirruculm? All the best

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looking for another post I came across this old one.

Any updates on the school?

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There must be a law to help you obtain a just and amicable settlement. Can't you get a big compensation claim for this? After all, you have a lease with the county until 2017.

Latest Discussions