SKK Combos

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
This one is a bit different as well ...

- Right foot pivots back to horst stance facing 0300
- Downward left knifehand block
- turn CW 270d to right foot forward halfmoon stance, right swordhand strike to the neck
- Cannon fist (double thrust punch) to solar plexus/ribcage area
- Right wing to jaw
- Simultaneous right backfist to nose, left palm to solar plexus

I almost have that the same way except my first strike is a glancing crosshand shuto and my backfist is to the temple and not the nose because of where the body is positioned.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
This one is a bit different as well ...

- Right foot pivots back to horst stance facing 0300
- Downward left knifehand block
- turn CW 270d to right foot forward halfmoon stance, right swordhand strike to the neck
- Cannon fist (double thrust punch) to solar plexus/ribcage area
- Right wing to jaw
- Simultaneous right backfist to nose, left palm to solar plexus
very close to mine. After downward block the palm rises back and hits jaw before spin (my opening footwork is different) Then hammer to throat instead of knife hand for me.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
very close to mine. After downward block the palm rises back and hits jaw before spin (my opening footwork is different) Then hammer to throat instead of knife hand for me.

I like the idea of a 'stun' strike in the beginning and I have modified what I do to include just that. I never like a technique that takes so long to strike, just doesn't seem real. Granted the block on the opponent's right would be effective, but what's following, the opponent's left hand and I'm spinning a total of 360d and coming right towards the left hand ... hmmm ... but that's how it was taught to me.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like the idea of a 'stun' strike in the beginning and I have modified what I do to include just that. I never like a technique that takes so long to strike, just doesn't seem real. Granted the block on the opponent's right would be effective, but what's following, the opponent's left hand and I'm spinning a total of 360d and coming right towards the left hand ... hmmm ... but that's how it was taught to me.

I hear you on that. I had a hard time with that too. Maybe your pulling or guiding the opponent forward and actually hitting them while there still extending the right punch or maybe you could be retreating instead of moving forward with the sword hand using the sword like a spinning back fist to keep the opponent from closing the gap when you retreat (tactically reposition as some people call it).

There is a technique in Northern Tiger where the opponent grabs you with same side wrist grab so you spin pulling your arm behind your back moving the opponent close to you then you perform a back fist with the hand that isn't held followed by a crescent kick. If the opponent holds on, which the technique is designed for there shoulder is turned the wrong way to throw the left punch. 39 would probably work about the same off of that grab. The block really seems nice for a front ball kick, perhaps you hook the foot a little and pull the leg forward so they fall into the sword hand. Perhaps a rear double throat choke and you start right from the sword hand with the strikes mainly hitting the back area instead of the front.

Professor I has a very different version of this DM. I have only had his interpretation for a short time so hopefully someone else can post it with more details than I have right now.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if your B&A stance is my twist stance...but sounds the same....I step left foot forward into a twist stance, same palm block, I strike the backfist to right side of face to turn the head/ the palm follows quickly to catch the jawline snapping the neck the ending is the same backfist/bloodpalm to the heart...

Bow & Arrow for us is a cat stance with a straight leg. Master Taylor had described the use of this stance in the DM as lining up your skelton with the back punch. At the time he worked with me on this detail it was way over my head and may still be.

Twist stance for us is front leg with toes toward 12:00. Back leg is on the ball of the foot with the knee just off the ground and just behind the front foot. The heel of the back foot is facing 9:00.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Any thoughts on starting a form thread to go over application one section at a time through the forms?

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
As for the second punch, that's not really the "ideal phase" (to borrow a concept from AK), but it can be addressed.

I've found that a bigger problem than the left punch is the forward movement of the attacker as they deliver the punch. Your step back in response to his right is going to entice him, if he is inclined to throw the left, to move forward as he throws it. So now you and he are both trying to move forward into the same space. You should be in control of his right shoulder by now... any takes on that?

-D

I am just going back and reviewing. I hope I don't double respond. Sorry if I do.

On DM #1 I look at the right chicken wrist as the control of the left punch. If your not 100% sure you have enough time to do the tiger claw chicken wrist before the left punch I would just wrap and chicken wrist while hiding your head in front of the opponents right shoulder.

A general rule of the thumb is the left punch comes as soon as you stop the energy of the right punch. The more deflecting the block the more time you have.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My 39 is from Prof I and is different: lt downward and slightly outward palm block as the left leg steps towards uke's center with a quick willow palm to the temple followed with a left elbow to the jaw then spin cw with a rt elbow to the neck (the left leg displaces towards 5:45 to help the spin)the rt elbow strike evolves into a rt dropping backfist to the rt cheek the continued cw motion carries you into a rt forawrd stance with a left front 2 knuckle to the plexus that flows into a left wounded tiger strike to the jawthen a left dropping back fist to the left cheek finish with a right palm to the left ribs.

respectfully,
marlon

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bow & Arrow for us is a cat stance with a straight leg. Master Taylor had described the use of this stance in the DM as lining up your skelton with the back punch. At the time he worked with me on this detail it was way over my head and may still be.

Twist stance for us is front leg with toes toward 12:00. Back leg is on the ball of the foot with the knee just off the ground and just behind the front foot. The heel of the back foot is facing 9:00.
Gotcha...
our twist is the same...180 out of the cat....we always referred to them as "sister" footworks...why that term I can't tell you. I sure somebody out there has background on our vernacular....

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

wouldn't you need your skeletal system properly lined up in all of your stances whether striking or not?

Respectfully,
Marlon

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
wouldn't you need your skeletal system properly lined up in all of your stances whether striking or not?

Respectfully,
Marlon
Great Point!!
The body posture/alignment is a subject that can be discussed in detail I think.... I have "discussed" this in length with my peers and would like opinions...Placement of the feet are critical (I think).
Example: The rear foot should be in alignment with the direction of your strike/block....Facing 12:00 blocking a kick from the same direction....the forward foot should be at a 45 degree angle the rear knee pressed against the forwards calf muscle for support and the rear foot on the toes at the 6:00 position...Now there are always exceptions and in some of our forms we do alter that...think of any???

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The body posture/alignment is a subject that can be discussed in detail I think.... I have "discussed" this in length with my peers and would like opinions...Placement of the feet are critical (I think).

Yess 100% correct.

Your feet are connected to your hands.
Your elbows are connected to your knees.
your shoulders are conected to your hips.

By shifting your feet the power changes is your hands.
When doing all kempos or combinations. if your not hitting from center.
you are looseing power and if your feet are not moving with your hands. then you are not hitting with full power.

Hopfully this makes sense.
Kosho

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
#40:
Step left to 10:00, #4 block to a 4:00 verticle position (clock on the wall)knocking their hand downward, r/hand rolling bfist to the temple/eyesocket w/r blade stomp to their forward knee, r/hand inverted hammer to their r/kidney as the l/hand leopard pinch grabs their r/shoulder pulling them into a r/single trigger to the neck ( behind the jugular not sure if there is a named zone for this area).

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
#40:
Step left to 10:00, #4 block to a 4:00 verticle position (clock on the wall)knocking their hand downward, r/hand rolling bfist to the temple/eyesocket w/r blade stomp to their forward knee, r/hand inverted hammer to their r/kidney as the l/hand leopard pinch grabs their r/shoulder pulling them into a r/single trigger to the neck ( behind the jugular not sure if there is a named zone for this area).

Sounds close ...

- Step to 10:00, left hammerfist to radial, right rolling back fist to temple
- Simultaneous right blade or side kick to knee, right hammerfist to kidney
- Step down with right foot, about 03:00, right backfist to base of skull

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yess 100% correct.

you are looseing power and if your feet are not moving with your hands. then you are not hitting with full power.

Kosho

to generate true power it must come from the waist. the feet position is a trick to teach waist alignment but power is not dependant on the direction your toes are pointing. extension may be but not power. Without proper alignment of the spine...your kung fu is no good...:)..please no discussion of the kung fu or lack thereof connection and sk...not important

respectfully,
Marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds close ...

- Step to 10:00, left hammerfist to radial, right rolling back fist to temple
- Simultaneous right blade or side kick to knee, right hammerfist to kidney
- Step down with right foot, about 03:00, right backfist to base of skull

hop to 10:30 on to the lt leg in a crane stance with a lt palm to the arm above the elbow (structural rooting and manipulation of the opponents skeletal structure with the palm important) and a thrust to the temple
rt blade kick to the knee
rt hammer to the kidney
lt hand check or palm to the spine
rt cross hammer to the occiput...your weight should shift forwards with each hand strike
marlon

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
to generate true power it must come from the waist. the feet position is a trick to teach waist alignment but power is not dependant on the direction your toes are pointing. extension may be but not power. Without proper alignment of the spine...your kung fu is no good...:)..please no discussion of the kung fu or lack thereof connection and sk...not important

respectfully,
Marlon

Marlon,
I am going to have to disagree with you. True power comes from your feet. Yes your hips help but in rotation movement only.
The feet and hands from center and being rooted ( kidney #1 ) If this is not engaged then you have no power or true power.
Yes hitting with the hip brings power, but not true power.
we can go back and forth with this. Next time we get together I will show you what I mean...Maybe I am also not explanning it well also. Maybe if Master Evans logs in and reads this he will give light to what I mean.
RESPCTFULLY<
Kosho

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

respectfully,
Marlon

Marlon,
I am going to have to disagree with you. True power comes from your feet. Yes your hips help but in rotation movement only.
The feet and hands from center and being rooted ( kidney #1 ) If this is not engaged then you have no power or true power.
Yes hitting with the hip brings power, but not true power.
we can go back and forth with this. Next time we get together I will show you what I mean...Maybe I am also not explanning it well also. Maybe if Master Evans logs in and reads this he will give light to what I mean.
RESPCTFULLY<
Kosho

Kosho i do not disagree about the root and power but this does not have to do with the direction the toes are pointed in, which was the point i intended to counter. perhaps i was unclear or am now mis reading your post.

respectfully,
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yess 100% correct.

Kosho

i do not think your feet should be moving when you hit
respectfully,
Marlon

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Right,
Your feet are not moving when hitting at that time of the contact, but the feet do need to shift as movment takes place with your hands.
The hips also come into play when hitting. But yes what you are saying makes sence also...
Marlon have a great summer,
Kosho

Latest Discussions