Sifu is pissed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is pretty much why I decided to only take martial arts for sport. If you ever use it in self defense you pretty much get shamed for doing it because you are supposed to move mountains to avoid the fight at all costs.

In my opinion if someone attacks you it's on and they have no right to complain if they get beat up.
So what you think you go to an mma gym and you do what you've done and you'll be applauded? No of course not you'll be treated the exact same way and if you're only doing it for sport why are you training in a self defence style school

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also

Show him you want to be there. Apologize, admit you were wrong, and if he still doesn't want you back, beg for it. Show up to class and show him you're still interested even if he doesn't let you participate. In my opinion this will earn your respect back, everyone tell me what they think

I'm still allowed to go back, just can't wear the uniform.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So what you think you go to an mma gym and you do what you've done and you'll be applauded? No of course not you'll be treated the exact same way and if you're only doing it for sport why are you training in a self defence style school

What does an mma gym have anything to do with this? The dojo is both self defense and sport as they go to many competions.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would just love to point out the fact someone voted this as informative hahaha :D

And? Just because you know something does it make it amusing to you that someone takes the time to explain it to someone who doesn't know what it means? clicking 'informative' is another way to say thank you, we like to be polite here. Your amusement is strange.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No, only if the force appears disproportional. Somewhere else in this thread our OP doesn't have a scratch, the other guy has like a broken nose and broken glasses. Now if no one else at that party steps up and says it was self defense, or consensual, and the guy bleeding says "I have been assaulted" what does the evidence tells us? The Police aren't fact finders. Their job is to simply ask "is their probable cause to believe this person committed a crime". The Judges are the fact finders, determining if such cases proceed and then later if it results in a conviction.

This is why I tell people, "don't let your pride get in the way. If you can walk away walk away." Don't care about the fact that, at the time, our OP was concerned girls would think he was a chump, or that the other guys buddies my call ya a wimp or coward. Self defense is to save yourself from Injury, not to save face.

Then you have the fact that many places make unsanctioned mutual fights illegal.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Your post reminds me of something my late instructor once said he was a police officer and he talked about the third person viewpoint. If a guy attacks you and he's punching you hard on the floor and a witness calls the police and you reverse and end up smashing the guy on the floor when the police turn they expect to see one guy beating up another guy and that's what they see. So they arrest the guy who was defending himself maybe he won't be charged but it's still on your record

EvanWinther

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And? Just because you know something does it make it amusing to you that someone takes the time to explain it to someone who doesn't know what it means? clicking 'informative' is another way to say thank you, we like to be polite here. Your amusement is strange.

"Swole bro" kind of a funny joke, I thought it was funny someone wrote a description of it Not trying to point out its funny someone doesn't know what it is

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He was in the right. How often will you be attacked in public to where you need to spend hours upon hours training? Especially for something that will never happen. At least sport is more likely to happen than a self defense situation that can't be solved by walking/ running away or talking your way out of it.
If you think that's the case why the hell did you ever start training. Yeah you may never need it and you seem to thing that's a bad thing if I make it to the day I die without ever getting in a fight I will be a happy man and yeah you probably think I'm a coward but I don't care what you think and posts like this show your attitude absolutely sucks towards martial arts. Ed Parker once said his wife was once questioning why he trained so much and what the point was and then one day some punks were trying to cut him off and making him risk having a crash with his pregnant wife so he pulled over and the guys got out and attacked him. He put them down easily and he said at that point that one instant that 10 seconds of combat made all the years worthwhile because he defended everything that mattered to him.

That's what martial arts is defending yourself and the people you care about not picking up girls and showing off your muscles.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you think that's the case why the hell did you ever start training. Yeah you may never need it and you seem to thing that's a bad thing if I make it to the day I die without ever getting in a fight I will be a happy man and yeah you probably think I'm a coward but I don't care what you think and posts like this show your attitude absolutely sucks towards martial arts. Ed Parker once said his wife was once questioning why he trained so much and what the point was and then one day some punks were trying to cut him off and making him risk having a crash with his pregnant wife so he pulled over and the guys got out and attacked him. He put them down easily and he said at that point that one instant that 10 seconds of combat made all the years worthwhile because he defended everything that mattered to him.

That's what martial arts is defending yourself and the people you care about not picking up girls and showing off your muscles.

Why did he pull over? He must have been looking for a fight. He could have prevented it by not pulling over and just continued about his day.

You see what I mean? If I were to do this I'd be a bad guy, but if it's Ed Parker it's ok. People would have told me to just take the person's license plate and report them.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
He was in the right. How often will you be attacked in public to where you need to spend hours upon hours training? Especially for something that will never happen. At least sport is more likely to happen than a self defense situation that can't be solved by walking/ running away or talking your way out of it.

Sadly, by your own past comments, you seem to have an inside track on answering the bolded part..

But I am done. I feel like I am beating a dead horse.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Lol there are more holes in that than Swiss cheese. From what I read here its easily able to be manipulated and bastardized. It's honestly best to just avoid all contact with people in general.

Finally he gets it yes when it comes to fighting that's exactly what you should do avoid all contact when there's going to be trouble. Man people are trying their damm hardest to help you be a better person and you're just acting like a baby right now saying how it's so unfair and it's pointless to train if you don't want to fight

EvanWinther

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cut him off repeatedly and risking him crashing, so he pulled over and the guys attacked him

He was at risk of his life

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why did he pull over? He must have been looking for a fight. He could have prevented it by not pulling over and just continued about his day.

You see what I mean? If I were to do this I'd be a bad guy, but if it's Ed Parker it's ok. People would have told me to just take the person's license plate and report them.
He pulled over because it was dangerous to keep driving if he'd tried to ignore it he would've crashed and hurt his wife because they were driving recklessly which put him in danger and he just pulled up the others could've just drived off but they were the ones looking for the fight

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finally he gets it yes when it comes to fighting that's exactly what you should do avoid all contact when there's going to be trouble. Man people are trying their damm hardest to help you be a better person and you're just acting like a baby right now saying how it's so unfair and it's pointless to train if you don't want to fight

Well I don't think it's pointless, it can still be fun to do it and can still help you be healthy. It just seems like any justified self defense situation will rarely ever happen if at all.

By the boards definition I have never once in my life been in a fight where it was ok to do it, and I've been in about six or seven of them.

EvanWinther

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I don't think it's pointless, it can still be fun to do it and can still help you be healthy. It just seems like any justified self defense situation will rarely ever happen if at all.

By the boards definition I have never once in my life been in a fight where it was ok to do it, and I've been in about six or seven of them.

Get into sparring!

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Well the ones you've posted here no you weren't right at all in all of them you could've walked away but your ego got in the way. It's not self defence if you want to fight. All of the situations you've posted you could've just kept your mouth shut and walked away.

I'll always remember this johnathon mottram a 4th dan in ishinryu karate a world champion who'd been training all his life was doing a seminar with us and told us a story he was walking home one night and a guy pulled a knife on him and demanded he give him his trainers. You know what he did? Took off his shoes and walked home barefoot he knew it wasn't worth getting stabbed over a pair of shoes

EvanWinther

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think you need some sparring- no fighting on the outside but if you think fighting is fun or whatever, you can spar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions