Short form 4

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Any comments on how accurate this list is. I noticed it in my notebook recently. I printed this out a few years ago but I have no use for it at present.

It looks pretty close to ours, I think our Dance of Darkness is right, but the rest looks about the same.

Lamont

V

vantelimus

In 1989 or 1990, one of my instructors asked Mr. Parker why there was no Short Form 4. Mr. Parker told him "There is, you just haven't invented it yet. It is every technique from Long Form 4 done on every other side." Armed with that knowledge, that instructor and I created a short form 4. I say "a short form 4" instead of "the short form 4" because we had no information about angles. At that time, there was no one doing hort 4 in competition in the area (Southern California). That instructor added short form 4 to the katas he taught and people from his studio started performing it competition. He still teaches the kata he and I invented.

I asked my currect instructor, Frank Trejo, about short form 4 a couple of days ago. He said "It is was created by one of Barbara Hale's students as their thesis form. It is every technique done on every other side. It is a concept. You can make up a short 5 and short 6 using the same idea."

So that is the story from Mr. Parker indirectly and from Mr. Trejo.

peace,
vantelimus

Journey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new, so go easy.

Short Form 4, As I understand it, Short Form 4,5,6 was the 5th Degree Black Belt Thesis of Jim Mitchell in the early 80's. I was told S.G.M. Parker liked it and added it to the system, but it never really became mainstream. That's not to say that it couln't have been done by someone else before or after that time.

Journey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
RE: Short Form 4

Short Form Three and Long Form Three have diferent techniques so practicing Short 3 on both sides would seem appropriate.

As far as Short Form 4 on both sides. We'll lets analyze. In Long Form 4 the transition between the techniques is only done on one side. You do the technique on the Right, then Left, then transition to the next technique, doing it on the right side. When you do Short Form 4 on the Right side the techniques are done with the transitions on the other side, opposite Long Four, To do Short Four on the L it would duplicate the transitions in Long Four. But that doesn't mean there isn't anything to learn from doing it on the Left side.

Becides it makes a good tournament form, and it makes Long 4 easy to learn, you already know half of Long 4 and you know the order it goes in.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Going to give this one a bump to see if there's any new information to be added to this form.

OP
T

teej

Blue Belt
Reaction score
9th degree Lee Wedlake's newest book K401 is out and can be ordered. I have one infront of me as I type.

This book is an indepth examination on Kenpo form 4.

Go to www.leewedlake.com for ordering info.

Yours in Kenpo, Teej

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The 401 book is really good. To say the least.

It would be nice though for an actual written description of the form. Besides the attacks like the link shows. That plus the video as someone suggested.

Where's hawk man? With his extensive collection he probably has one. Also, I remember seeing someone selling a video tape on e-bay that "supposedly" said on that video; Mr. Parker himself performed short 4 plus taught it. That's been quite a while and my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Seems to me that if you are truly interested in studying Short 4, then you should apply the logic and make it up yourself. If you know Long 4, you really shouldn't need a video of someone else doing Short 4...

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems to me that if you are truly interested in studying Short 4, then you should apply the logic and make it up yourself. If you know Long 4, you really shouldn't need a video of someone else doing Short 4...
As that is true... The transitions between techniques and more what i was interested in. Yeah, I could put it together and I did play with it on sunday. There were 2 techniques that warranted more indepth study. My idea was to see how someone else did it.

amylong

White Belt
Reaction score
It would be nice though for an actual written description of the form. Besides the attacks like the link shows. That plus the video as someone suggested.

Mr. Wedlake says that it's just like long four, but that you alternate from right to left of each technique.

I asked him if he had a written version of it and his response was what I wrote above. I think he managed to control himself before writing 'duh' at the end. lol.

Jason -- I'm sure you can figure it out. :)

OP
T

teej

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In each technique of form 4 the last move of each technique leads right into the 1st move of the following technique. [Jason, this may be the transitions you have questions of].To keep the forms teaching correct, this principle would need to be carried into anyway you practice it.

Teej

Latest Discussions