Short form 4

teej

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Have any of you heard of reference to a "Short Form 4"?

I saw someone selling a instructional DVD on Ebay and in his description it states that the DVD includes footage of the "rare short form 4".

I have never heard of it and do not believe this exists in a form version. I have heard that Mr. Parker has said that Form 4 can be done as a short version by doing the right side of the first tech., then the left side of the 2nd technique, then the right side of the 3rd, etc. all the way through the form.

Has anyone else heard Mr. Parker refer to this? Have any of you seen SGM Parker demonstrate it in this manner?

I have no idea what is shown on this persons DVD on Ebay, but would speculate it to be someones personal version of something else to practice.

So, any thoughts on this Short Form 4 issue?

Yours in Kenpo,
Teej

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have never heard of short 4, but I asked my instructor about that a week or so ago, Joe Palanzo, he said all it is would be the right side of all the techniques

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Al Tracy has a video which includes Short 4. As indicated above, it's Long 4 done on one side. As I recall Mr. Tracy says on the tape that the form is no longer taught by most instructors. I think he says it was created due to space problems in the dojo.
Hope this helps.

A

ArnoldLee

Not only does it exist, I have a video of Mr. Parker and Mr. Palanzo performing and teaching it at a seminar. It's a great competition form, very snappy. You could apply the logic and create "short 5, 6, 7" etc. by alternating the sides of the techniques like Short 4 does. However to my knowledge Mr. Parker did not teach those formally (and I don't have any video of him teaching them either).

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually several school do still teach short forms 4, 5, and 6. The school I train in teaches both the short and long versions of each of these forms. I heard that originally they were created so that the students could have a shorter version of the same form to display at competitions. They are mostly similar, including each technique only once instead of twice, and they have some different angle work. To my knowledge there are no short forms beyond 6.

-Rob

M

MisterMike

If Short Forms 4,5,6...whatever, are only condensed versions of the long ones, what do they contribute to the system of Kenpo? Are there any ideas/principles/etc. that are not found in the existing long forms that are demonstrated in these short forms?

I have not seen them, but I would assume the answer is no. I'd have to side with some of the posts that they are probably just good for competition/routine practice.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
Regarding Short Forms 4,5,6... (condensed versions of the long ones), what do they contribute to the system of Kenpo?
They offer (mostly to the advanced student) a vehicle to study said form in a shorter version (only on side of any given technique vs. both). They can be used in tournaments as a shorter version of our long examples. They also offer insights into forms development, variable expansion of base material and the utilization of the equation formula as applied to forms. There are other benefits as well but I would say these are probably the main ones.

MisterMike said:
Are there any ideas/principles/etc. that are not found in the existing long forms that are demonstrated in these short forms?
As stated above, yes there are several ideas suggested and available for those that wish to embark with this type of study.

As to principles, this is a study unto itself..... these lie everywhere in all that we do, it is just a matter of recognizing all of them.

By revealing Short Form 4, Mr. Parker opened the eyes to many back in the mid 80's to reveal the flexibility of his system and how we can utilize and engineer seemingly new aspects yet not stray from the base. Of course he never imposed this as a solid requirement, only an option to study for self discovery and advancement if one so chooses.

:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, that is a good idea. Who wants to Make one and put it up or make it available? I've never done or "learned" Short 4 although I've seen it and had it explained to me. The first time I saw it was at the Internationals in 1997. I think that guy won a trophy with it in my division.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From a historical stand point I think it would good to learn. Also, as Doug relayed the story of winning at a tournament then it might also be useful there.

A

ArnoldLee

XtremeJ_AKKI said:
Where can I find a video ( especially instructional ) of this form?

Oh brother, you guys are going to make me dig through all my old videos to find this thing aren't you?

I believe Kenpojoe has the video in question also. It's from a 1980 ish IKKA instructors camp and is taught quite clearly.

Cheers

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ArnoldLee said:
Oh brother, you guys are going to make me dig through all my old videos to find this thing aren't you?
Only if you want to.......LOL
:)

I have it ...... but I'm not into giving the farm away.....LOL ) except to my personal students of course.... but then again.... they have to help me plow the fields also... hee hee

:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ArnoldLee said:
Yes, if possible.
:uhyeah:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
I have it ...... but I'm not into giving the farm away.....LOL ) except to my personal students of course.... but then again.... they have to help me plow the fields also... hee hee
So are you saying you're getting out your moldy archieves? :)
Wait 'til you've seen an amishman plow a field with a team of horses. Only in ohio. :ultracool

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ArnoldLee said:
I believe Kenpojoe has the video in question also. It's from a 1980 ish IKKA instructors camp and is taught quite clearly.
Whoever had it on e-bay that last time I seen it the video went for 60 - 70bucks. I don't know who had it listed but it did say Mr. Parker was videotaped doing the form then breaking the form down as if he were teaching a class.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Our school has this form, it is an optional one for black belts to learn, we picked it up from Mr. (Dale) Petit. I have also competed against Mr. (Jerald) Mitchell (Jim Mitchell's son) who uses it in competition.

It is a very good tournament form, all of the flow of Long 4 and doesn't face Long 4's problem of turning your back on the judges for a third of the form.

Lamont

M

MisterMike

I once heard a story....

That Mr. Parker thought someone was reading his notes without permission. So he wrote short 4 and tossed it in the trash. Later, when he saw the form displayed, he became aware of who was being naughty.

For what it's worth...

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
I once heard a story....

That Mr. Parker thought someone was reading his notes without permission. So he wrote short 4 and tossed it in the trash. Later, when he saw the form displayed, he became aware of who was being naughty.

For what it's worth...
I think that is just what you said it was...... a story.

:supcool:

Latest Discussions