She's Taking A Break

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
<object width="1280" height="745"><..." width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

So my kid has begun her summer off from TKD. She literally has been barely able to stand for about a month now her entire right side of her body is falling apart. She will be seeing an orthopedist in a couple of weeks and hopefully there is nothing too serious going on.

As a tribute to her hard work, dedication and fighting through the pain, I put together some clips of her fights from this weekend. Hope you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope she gets to doing better healthwise.

She's def. to young to wake up body part by body part.

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Great video!!! She has a hell of a jumping back kick! Im horrible at that LOL!

I hope that he has enough time to heal and that she gets good news from the Dr's!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mango.man I hope Samantha will be OK, she is a strong person and will be missed this summer. I reeally enjoyed the highlights, tell her to keep positive and enjoy the summer off.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all. We hope she heals up well soon. I guess you do this stuff long enough and it takes its toll. I am most concerned about her hips right now. Every step she takes they are like "pop", "crack", "pop", "crack". Hopefully the hip bones aren't actually chipped but we will find out soon.

Either way, minimum 3 month rest and I expect she will get back at it. Hopefully in time for The Jimmy Kim Invitational in late September, but there is no rush.

Shelley - With regards to that jumping back kick. That is something that I have seen her do a million times in practice but for whatever reason when it comes time to compete it just never happens. I was amazed when she did it and that she did it with such conviction. It was by far my favorite kick of the day for her. I guess she was thinking that this is her last chance, at least for a while to prove to herself that she can do it. When she does return, I hope to see it more often.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Time off is needed for all of us at some point, even the young. She will be good as new in no time. Can't wait to see her back in action and feeling fresh.

Happy healings Sam.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mango your girl definetively kick ....sss, the video you show us is terrific. What happened to her? you tell us her hips are damaged? why? how?

Manny

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny, at this point we do not know what the problem is with her hips (or her shoulders, elbows, wrists, knees or ankles. She has an appointment in a couple of weeks with an Orthopedic Doctor so we will hopefully get more info then and hopefully there will be nothing so serious that a few months off won't fix but I would not be all that surprised to find out that surgery is necessary. I can't see how her hips can snap, crack and pop so much without bone chipping taking place.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, at this point we do not know what the problem is with her hips (or her shoulders, elbows, wrists, knees or ankles. She has an appointment in a couple of weeks with an Orthopedic Doctor so we will hopefully get more info then and hopefully there will be nothing so serious that a few months off won't fix but I would not be all that surprised to find out that surgery is necessary. I can't see how her hips can snap, crack and pop so much without bone chipping taking place.

She will be in my prayers mango.man, I know how does it feels to have a son/daughter ill, my youngest daughter had an open heart surgery 5 years ago when she had 3 years old and thanks God she's fine.

Your daughter is such a warrior, let's see what doctors say.

Manny

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great vid!! The girl has amazing legs. You must be very proud. I pray that her health improves and she's back on the mat in no time.

knuckleheader

Green Belt
Reaction score
Many prayers for her full recovery. The video montage is excellent!!

Daniel

I second what Danny has said. She has great skill and even greater potential. I hope she'll give herself plenty of time for the stretching out and warm-ups after the layoff. Too many athletes push progress/training after a healing period. Slow progress is better than hindered progress!

That was the best montage I've seen from anyone anywhere. I would have picked different music. But hey, I an old blank blank. Thanks again, Ous.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear Samantha's on the IR list. Hopefully the doctor will diagnose the problem and it'll be something manageable. You guys have my good thoughts and well wishes as always.

Peace,
Erik

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great video mango.man! My prayers for Samantha for a quick recovery & a pleasant much needed rest.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your well wishes and kind words regarding the video. I will let you all know as soon as I know anything about her condition. So far we have been able to move her Dr appt up by 1 day and we are calling every day to see if there are any cancellations that we can have to try to get her in sooner. As I said though, regardless of what the Dr says, she is taking 3 months off. If the Dr says longer than she will be out longer, but if hte Dr says, she'll be fine in a week, then it is still 3 months off.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your well wishes and kind words regarding the video. I will let you all know as soon as I know anything about her condition. So far we have been able to move her Dr appt up by 1 day and we are calling every day to see if there are any cancellations that we can have to try to get her in sooner. As I said though, regardless of what the Dr says, she is taking 3 months off. If the Dr says longer than she will be out longer, but if hte Dr says, she'll be fine in a week, then it is still 3 months off.

^_^

That will be a nice long summer to relax and catch up with things outside the Dojang

Best wishes, I am keeping my fingers crossed like crazy over here!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks all. We hope she heals up well soon. I guess you do this stuff long enough and it takes its toll. I am most concerned about her hips right now. Every step she takes they are like "pop", "crack", "pop", "crack". Hopefully the hip bones aren't actually chipped but we will find out soon.

Either way, minimum 3 month rest and I expect she will get back at it. Hopefully in time for The Jimmy Kim Invitational in late September, but there is no rush.

Shelley - With regards to that jumping back kick. That is something that I have seen her do a million times in practice but for whatever reason when it comes time to compete it just never happens. I was amazed when she did it and that she did it with such conviction. It was by far my favorite kick of the day for her. I guess she was thinking that this is her last chance, at least for a while to prove to herself that she can do it. When she does return, I hope to see it more often.

My daughter has gone thru this at times. Is Sam still growing!!! Sam is a great fighter and you know that I have always been a fan!!! Hope she is better soon!

Last edited:

Latest Discussions