Share your greatest song or lyric???

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Johnny Marr was the bomb. I seem to recall that they didn't like each other much. Part of the reason for their sound is that johnny marr would write music and morrisey would write lyrics and they would never talk. So it was up to morrisey to figure out how to fit the lyrics to the music. That could be wrong, but that's what I recall.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Johnny Marr was the bomb. I seem to recall that they didn't like each other much. Part of the reason for their sound is that johnny marr would write music and morrisey would write lyrics and they would never talk. So it was up to morrisey to figure out how to fit the lyrics to the music. That could be wrong, but that's what I recall.

They did at first, or there never would have been a band. LOL Over time, Marr got annoyed with Morrissey's refusal to pursue any new musical directions.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
And here is where your mother sleeps,
and here is the room where your brothers were born,
indentions in the sheets
where their bodies once moved but don't move anymore.

And it's so sad to see the world agree
that they'd rather see their faces filled with flies,
all when I want to keep white roses in their eyes.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes it can be really lonely, being a music nerd. I picked up on things that people around me don't. How do I know? Because I will ask them, "Hey did you ever notice in song X, it sounds like this thing where (insert nerdy observation here)?" Without a doubt, 9 out of 10 people don't know what the hell I mean. The tenth person just says, "Never thought of that, but interesting."

Why am I mentioning this? Well, funny you should ask! I got a "greatest his" Smiths CD out of the library last week. I was listening to the song "Hand in Glove," and I caught these lyrics:

Hand in glove
We can go wherever we please
And everything depends upon
How near you stand to me

The reason I put those lyrics in bold is because it triggered a memory in my brain. The words were familiar, but I could not figure out why. Then it hit me: Leonard Cohen! Check out these lines from "Take This Longing," if you will:

Your body like a searchlight
My poverty revealed
I would like to try your charity
Until you cry, "now you must try my greed"
And everything depends upon
How near you sleep to me

Now I have heard what a super huge fan Morrissey was of the New York Dolls, but I have no input as to whether or not he liked Leonard Cohen, or cited him as an influence.

Does anyone else see what I mean here? Can anyone shed some light on it, or at least share their thoughts?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of this band A Place to Bury Strangers? Pretty cool stuff. I will find a song to share shortly...trying to decide what one would be a good example.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
On my phone, so just the bridge from this one:

"We stay up late and listen to Dexter,
As if we hadn't a care,
But, we've tainted my favorite record,
With our sorted affair."

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
On my phone, so just the bridge from this one:

"We stay up late and listen to Dexter,
As if we hadn't a care,
But, we've tainted my favorite record,
With our sorted affair."

I know I could use Google to cheat, but I am trying to place that on my own.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Is it sorted or sordid?

I was just listening to this song today at lunch. Heard it a million times in the radio. Came up in Pandora. In the chorus, is he saying "we can bring it on the florf?" I swear he is.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry, but I am waxing nostalgic and I need to wake up so...Besides, way back in my mechanic days I got a guy to stop being a complete jerk by using a line from the chorus of this song, while we were in a second floor break room. Actually he turned around and went back down to the shop.

What can I say, I was a different person back then.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
He was only 5 foot 3, girls could not resist his stare.
Pablo Picasso was never called an *******.

Latest Discussions