Shaolin Kempo Masters Missing?

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
hey,

does anyone know what happened to Art Singer, Rudy Horne, Larry Mangione, Scott Woods, Bill Mailman and/or Bob Huckens? They have all magically disappeared...

Did Art Singer, Rudy Horne, Larry Mangione and Fred Villari all run United Studios as a community? I saw something on another thread that said USSD was originally Fred Villari's...so, man I'm confused!

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
USSD was the name Fred Villari gave to his organization, but he later changed the name to Villari Self defence centers or something like that. After he split from Villari Charles Mattera named his organization USSD.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did Art Singer, Rudy Horne, Larry Mangione and Fred Villari all run United Studios as a community? I saw something on another thread that said USSD was originally Fred Villari's...so, man I'm confused!

As taken from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Grandmaster Fred Villari is credited with the creation of the martial arts style labeled as "Shaolin Kempo". Both Charles Mattera and Steve DeMasco were students under Villari. During that time, Villari's school was known as United Studios of Self Defense, but was later renamed to Fred Villari's Studio of Self Defense. Today's USSD is mostly unrelated to the original USSD or FVSSD except from Mattera's and DeMasco's instructional history. However, both use the term "Shaolin Kempo" to describe their style and lineage." ... Shhhh, don't tell them, cause it's not claimed in thier lineage.

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As taken from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Grandmaster Fred Villari is credited with the creation of the martial arts style labeled as "Shaolin Kempo". Both Charles Mattera and Steve DeMasco were students under Villari. During that time, Villari's school was known as United Studios of Self Defense, but was later renamed to Fred Villari's Studio of Self Defense. Today's USSD is mostly unrelated to the original USSD or FVSSD except from Mattera's and DeMasco's instructional history. However, both use the term "Shaolin Kempo" to describe their style and lineage." ... Shhhh, don't tell them, cause it's not claimed in thier lineage.

OMG! You mean it's not? LOL

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it always bugged me that there was no mention of GM Villari in the ussd manual.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I never knew Mattera had filed a lawsuit against Villari. I wonder how he took the name and was able to call himself the founder of ussd when Villari is the clear founder of ussd.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fred V. did not copyright / incorporate the name USSD properly. He did not have his name as part of the USSD logo, (a poor mans copyright). Ed Parker, Nick C and many others have their names right on the corporate name.

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fred V. did not copyright / incorporate the name USSD properly. He did not have his name as part of the USSD logo, (a poor mans copyright). Ed Parker, Nick C and many others have their names right on the corporate name.

ACTUALLY, yes he did. I have videos of commericials where it says "Come to Fred Villari's United Studios of Self Defense" and then says the number of locations in MA. Also, the original USSD patch was the one with the punch in the center...the one that ended up staying with FVSSD. USSD didn't come up with the bonsai tree logo until the split. A "poor man's copyright" is actually when someone mails, say for instance, an original music piece to themself. That proves the date it was written on, and yes, it will hold up in a court of law.

However, let's please go back to the original topic.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok,
I was just trying to clear up on how Fred V lost the USSD name to C.M. Fred V actually lost the name when the group from Canada broke away and took the USSD name with them. This is the actual reason why Fred V changed the name to FVSSD. I was there at the meeting.
Now this being said I will go back to the original subject.
This is important because this is about the time that Rudy Horn moved on / dropped out of sight. Around this time Art Singer left the organization for the first time around this time.

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok,
I was just trying to clear up on how Fred V lost the USSD name to C.M. Fred V actually lost the name when the group from Canada broke away and took the USSD name with them. This is the actual reason why Fred V changed the name to FVSSD. I was there at the meeting.
This is important because this is about the time that Rudy Horn moved on / dropped out of sight. Around this time Art Singer left the organization for the first time around this time.

Just to clarify what you're saying, Fred V. lost the USSD name in a court battle. CM has the documents to prove it. My FV instructor was a student of Art Singer before he came to California.

Where's Harvey Thaler now?

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
I never knew Mattera had filed a lawsuit against Villari. I wonder how he took the name and was able to call himself the founder of ussd when Villari is the clear founder of ussd.

Who knows?
He probabley couldn't think of a good name and villari droped the name 10 years before and probabley didn't copyright it.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok,

Why did art singer leave ?

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok,

Did you workout with Mattera?

Latest Discussions