Selecting an art

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

As it says Guest under the account it was old and not used multiple versions of Forum SW ago.
I do not thin they could even recover the account without some interesting work.
So I would not expect an answer.

Hi Rich,

A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life. - William Arthur Ward

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Rich,

A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life. - William Arthur Ward
Don't feel bad if you didn't recognize the humor intended in Steve's post. That happens to me too. After all, I'm also American. We like things to be obvious! :p

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Rich,

Good Night Gracie

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't started Martial arts yet because I am having trouble
selecting one. There are so many out there!
I'm 46 years old and more than just a little over weight.
Around here there are mostly TKD schools but they seem to be
frequented mostly by youn buff male types. Not too sure of the
type of reception I'd get there.
Would any of you please give me an idea on an art or system
that I could get into that is not too strenuous to start, but can
get more so as I get into better shape?
I know this is asking guite a bit, but I feel I have a better chance
of getting some good answers on this forum rather the on someplace like rec.martialarts.
Thanks!
With respect, I think some put the cart before the horse. There isn't much point in choosing a style or art that simply isn't available where you are. Few of us are fortunate enough to find competent instruction in every available art near where they live.

So I'd recommend making a list of the schools available within a distance you'd be comfortable traveling on a frequent basis. Check schedules to find those which mesh with the times you can fit into your schedule.

Once you have a list (and it will probably be short), take some time and make personal visits to those places. Talk to the instructor and students if you can. Observe a training session. Tour the facilities and look to see how things as simple as changing facilities are handled, cleanliness, and so on. These all matter, believe me.

Look at how the students are grouped for training. Are new students given different instruction than the main group until they can keep up with the training advanced students perform or are they all trained together, sink or swim?

Ask about contracts. As about requirements for promotion, such as mandatory travel and tournaments. Arts and schools vary considerably here.

Look at the credentials of the instructors. Being a member of this or that hall of fame or other organization doesn't necessarily mean anything; many made-up styles that are basically fraudulent also have organizations that will grant all kinds of advanced degrees for a fee. Look online and check lineage. Ask about who trained and promoted the instructors, how long have they been training and how long have they been teaching. Qualified instructors won't have any problem providing their lineage and dates of promotion and / or teaching certificates.

Ultimately, in my opinion, one chooses a school more than one chooses an art. My art is Isshinryu. But if the connections I had made and the dojo family I have had instead been a different art, then I'd be a student of that art instead. I honestly don't think it matters that much what art you pick if it's a legit style taught by a legit instructor.

Best of luck; I've been where you are. I restarted my training at age 46. I'm 62 now.

Latest Discussions