School Pro's and whoa's

K

Kenpo Yahoo

While I'm not sure exactly how I want to word this, I was curious what some of you school owners or former school owners had to say about running a school. For instance:

1) Should you lease your location? Should you co-lease with another martial arts group (i.e. Kenpo/TKD/BJJ etc..)? Maybe go through a health club where they pay you a fixed rate? or teach on your own property (house, garage, makeshift dojo in the backyard, etc..)?

2) Do you think kids classes are vital to the survival of the school? I've always heard that kids were your "bread and butter," what do you think?

3) Do you have special programs and/or seminars often?

4) What's one thing that you've done as an owner that you would take back if you could?

I'm not asking for trade secrets or your special training program, rather just what you've learned along the way. Have you had any bad experiences while owning a school? Have you done something that made things easy and enjoyable?

:idea:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo

While I'm not sure exactly how I want to word this, I was curious what some of you school owners or former school owners had to say about running a school. For instance:

1) Should you lease your location? Should you co-lease with another martial arts group (i.e. Kenpo/TKD/BJJ etc..)? Maybe go through a health club where they pay you a fixed rate? or teach on your own property (house, garage, makeshift dojo in the backyard, etc..)?

2) Do you think kids classes are vital to the survival of the school? I've always heard that kids were your "bread and butter," what do you think?

4) What's one thing that you've done as an owner that you would take back if you could?

I'm not asking for trade secrets or your special training program, rather just what you've learned along the way. Have you had any bad experiences while owning a school? Have you done something that made things easy and enjoyable?

:idea:

1. Do not lease unless you can afford to lose money w/o it hurting you. Go through a "Y', a rec center, or even your own garage.

2. If you really value "real teaching" above money, then kids are not the way to go.

3. I'm going out on my own to attend seminars, it's almost much cheaper that way, and I don't have to worry about all the incidentals.

4. Read # 1. I tried that route, it went badly. It was in a good place, in an area where the homes are in 100's, good hours, great rates. I did everything according to good business, and still lost.

Moral of the story: I work out of a "Y" , have other possibilties in the works, have had other jobs that pay well w/o the headaches. I pretty much have control over my situations, and have time to work out, enjoy life, and time to take care of my house!:asian:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score

Either way you are a tenant at will. There are many pros and cons to both. A lease locks you in to a certain rate (hopefully) for rent. Renting on the other hand does not give you that security. Either way it is a fact of life if you want to run a school commercially. Co-lease is usually referred to as sub-leasing. Some landlords will let you and some won't...it is wise to check with them before entering any agreement with another with the same ambition to teach professionally as you do. A great way to start off is in a gym, health club etc., then expand to your own place once you have made enough capital to open.

"Vital" is a strong word. I would say "innevitable" is more like it. Parents are always looking for programs to get their children into. (An issue and topic worthy of its own post), nonetheless, the student ratio of children to adults is generally higher in favor of children.

When I taught commercially, I had my instructor in 1 to 2 times a year for a seminar. It was open to all styles and systems of the martial arts. Others that draw attention to your school are seminar guests such as Joe Lewis or Bill Wallace.

Learned more about the business end of the martial arts prior to opening.
:asian:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
2. If you really value "real teaching" above money, then kids are not the way to go.

What the heck is "real teaching"????:mad:

So teaching children how to be more confident or self disciplined, to help them concentrate better, to focus , to be better all round human beings is not "real" teaching??????

Heck I thought that's what the martial arts was all about, whether you were 7 or 70?

I agree that you can't delve into the intracacies of your art with a 5 year old but you can't do that with a fledgling white belt either, not unless they ask for it, chances are you'll scare them away if you do.
You mentioned that you go to seminars, why can't you delve into those intracies with those at the seminar or on posting boards such as this? Please, some think that "real teaching" is more than head banging and learning to rip out someones heart out while it is still beating (exaggeration).

The end all be all Rick is this. Whomever you teach, whether it's children, adults or both, never under estimate the power you have over these people to change there lives throught what you are giving them....Now that's "real teaching".:soapbox:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by kenpo3631

What the heck is "real teaching"????:mad:

So teaching children how to be more confident or self disciplined, to help them concentrate better, to focus , to be better all round human beings is not "real" teaching??????

Heck I thought that's what the martial arts was all about, whether you were 7 or 70?

I agree that you can't delve into the intracacies of your art with a 5 year old but you can't do that with a fledgling white belt either, not unless they ask for it, chances are you'll scare them away if you do.
You mentioned that you go to seminars, why can't you delve into those intracies with those at the seminar or on posting boards such as this? Please, some think that "real teaching" is more than head banging and learning to rip out someones heart out while it is still beating (exaggeration).

The end all be all Rick is this. Whomever you teach, whether it's children, adults or both, never under estimate the power you have over these people to change there lives throught what you are giving them....Now that's "real teaching".:soapbox:

Tsk, Tsk, calm down, you'll give yourself a stroke.

I look at real teaching to where you can convey the art to another adult on a logical basis. No, I don't scare people away, the only ones that leave are the lazy ones.

No, I 'm not into head banging, but I do come here to learn, and ask questions.

No, I do not underestimate anyone , but with 21 years of teaching as an educator/coach, and martial arts, I prefer to teach adults, and not have to deal with the other problem areas. So speaking only for myself, that's what I call real teaching.

To each his own.:asian:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's alot of pro's for having your own school.. Seig and I started ours with a core group of students from our college Karate classes. These kids have been with us since day one and they are the best. We leased a space and had it built to our specs. Location is good and near the college for the walkers. There aren't any other EPAK schools in our area so that's a help as far as competing schools.

We hmmd and hawwed (new word I think:) about starting kids classes but finally realized that if we wanted new students we would have to give in and start them. So far so good.. we have a couple of proteges that are amazing kids. One is only 4 but his attention span is marvelous and he Wants to be at class.. Not his parent's wanting him to take Martial Arts. (that will make sense to most instructors)
We give everyone a few trial classes and this way we can basically weed out ones that don't want to be there on their own accord (both adults and children) Adults tend to give it a couple of days and either stick with it or call it quits. Which is fine for us as we don't have to invest alot in them.

We are a young school (open just over a year now) that we haven't had much opportunity for seminars etc. Though through Shepherd University (Shepherd College, now a University) we are planning on one this fall. I think we are one of the very few Accredited EPAK University Courses offered.

There's always something that school owners would change.. though if we did.. we wouldn't be where we are now. I think Seig and I are especially lucky to have the following we do and our school :)

Tess

OP
J

jeffkyle

The one major consistent thing i keep reading is everyone saying that it is best to start at a fitness center (or a place like that) when trying to build up a student base...... :)

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by KenpoTess

There's alot of pro's for having your own school.. Seig and I started ours with a core group of students from our college Karate classes. These kids have been with us since day one and they are the best. We leased a space and had it built to our specs. Location is good and near the college for the walkers. There aren't any other EPAK schools in our area so that's a help as far as competing schools.

We hmmd and hawwed (new word I think:) about starting kids classes but finally realized that if we wanted new students we would have to give in and start them. So far so good.. we have a couple of proteges that are amazing kids. One is only 4 but his attention span is marvelous and he Wants to be at class.. Not his parent's wanting him to take Martial Arts. (that will make sense to most instructors)
We give everyone a few trial classes and this way we can basically weed out ones that don't want to be there on their own accord (both adults and children) Adults tend to give it a couple of days and either stick with it or call it quits. Which is fine for us as we don't have to invest alot in them.

We are a young school (open just over a year now) that we haven't had much opportunity for seminars etc. Though through Shepherd University (Shepherd College, now a University) we are planning on one this fall. I think we are one of the very few Accredited EPAK University Courses offered.

There's always something that school owners would change.. though if we did.. we wouldn't be where we are now. I think Seig and I are especially lucky to have the following we do and our school :)

Tess

Well, if I had tons of untaxed dough like you guys, I'd have a small empire myself!:eek:

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

How about this,

what do you see as the best way to advertise your school? Newspaper ad, Yellow Pages, flyers, billboard, a booth at the mall? etc...

While I'm not planning to open a school in the near future. In several years I may want to, and it would be nice to have some good advice to lean on.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Just like a woman, always wanting another ring.
:rofl:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

Just like a woman, always wanting another ring.
:rofl:

*snortles*
hahaha Gee Rob..I despise shopping. .talking on the phone.. I don't like to spend money.. I hate chick flicks or sappy love songs.. I love cooking.. keep a tidy house.. give up the remote without a fight.. sit through Toughman with a smile.. love to spar.. grapple.. can put a dress on without a groan.. not into jewelry.. can fish with the best of em.. and I run a tight ship when it comes to our school :)

:boing2:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by KenpoTess

*snortles*
hahaha Gee Rob..I despise shopping. .talking on the phone.. I don't like to spend money.. I hate chick flicks or sappy love songs.. I love cooking.. keep a tidy house.. give up the remote without a fight.. sit through Toughman with a smile.. love to spar.. grapple.. can put a dress on without a groan.. not into jewelry.. can fish with the best of em.. and I run a tight ship when it comes to our school :)

:boing2:

I am just making up for Kirk since he can't be here to infuriate people.

OP
K

kenpochip

Has anyone here been able to teach Kenpo as a full time job (over a long period of time)?

Chip

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by kenpochip

Has anyone here been able to teach Kenpo as a full time job (over a long period of time)?

Chip

Does 7 years qualify as long term? If so, then yes I have.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
K

kenpochip

Clyde,

Yes, 7 years counts as a long period of time.

Are you still teaching the same students, but in a part-time capacity now?

Chip

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by kenpochip

Clyde,

Yes, 7 years counts as a long period of time.

Are you still teaching the same students, but in a part-time capacity now?

Chip

Not the ones I had from my studio. I definitely had a great location in my town, problem is, I ran thru students like water (seems they all wanted the TKD year &1/2 BB) and the population is under 4000. I got down to about 40 students before I called it quits, but I was up around 150 when I started. As I've said before, I'm an instructor, not a babysitter and we train hard. Most people don't have the motivation to train the way I wanted them to be and I don't run a health club. If there was no blood on the mats or someone knocked out on sparring day (kids and adults) I didn't have a good day. I'm also not as business savvy as I should have been, nor do I choose to be. I kinda like the way I have it now, I train when I like, with who I like, and have no headaches from a commercial studio. Life is good in Kenpoland, and the rabbit hole is a helluva lot deeper than I thought, and still more to go. In fact, the TKD studio that opened about 2 years ago is now out of business as of a couple of weeks ago. I guess this town just won't support it.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo

How about this,

what do you see as the best way to advertise your school? Newspaper ad, Yellow Pages, flyers, billboard, a booth at the mall? etc...

While I'm not planning to open a school in the near future. In several years I may want to, and it would be nice to have some good advice to lean on.

Go with a small yp ad, and watch the sales pitch, bigger size, color, then in a year, or 2 later, "Oh, the price is going up, but"..........

Stay with the small ad, period!:asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by RCastillo

Don't forget "King Seig!":eek:
A simple, "Your Excellency" will do.
Seriously, if you do not have a lot of capital to invest in your school, the smartest thing to do is start out small. A health club or some such is a very good way to start your student base. If you do open your own place, do not overlook the value of a sign above your door. Word of mouth is great advertising, for a while. If you want a yellow page ad, the best thing to do on a small budget is to get a commercial phone line. That gets your name in the yellow pages. A phone in our school, at the moment is cost prohibitive, so I use my cell phone. My next step is the seminar, tentatively scheduled for Sept 14. After that, the phone. Right after the holidays, I plan on running some ads in a few of the local rags that everyone gets delivered for free. Most of the schools advertise in it, but the are is spread out enough that we should all be able to use it effectively. I am also working on plastering the local businesses with flyers and gift certificates.

Latest Discussions